OnLive

Have any of you heard of this? I'm seriously doubting it will work, but look at it.

http://www.gamespot.com/news/6206620.htm...es;title;1

That is frickin' rediculous! I'm somewhat pissed about this, simply because I just bought a very respectable gaming PC...but at the same time I think it's a very cool idea.

Think of what it would do to GameStops and such if it got hugely successful.
Honestly I think this is all pie-in-the-sky carp.

I mean seriously who has a 5 mbps internet connection? Broadband penetration isn't even at the point it needs to be for digital distribution to become a reality, nor are download speeds, so I really don't see how they think this is going to work.

I mean yes, it could definitely happen 10-15 years down the road from now and it probably will in some fashion, but I think people are getting overly excited for this -- it's just not feasible right now.
If, somehow, they get this working I'm totally in.

I just ran a speed test, my down clocked out at 19487 kbps....which if I do the math, there's 1024 kb in a mb right? 19.03 mbps?
(Mar. 25, 2009  3:34 AM)Bey Brad Wrote: MB != Mb

Chocked_2;; I'm confused now.
(Mar. 25, 2009  3:33 AM)Evan Wrote: If, somehow, they get this working I'm totally in.

I just ran a speed test, my down clocked out at 19487 kbps....which if I do the math, there's 1024 kb in a mb right? 19.03 mbps?

BeyBrad Wrote:MB != Mb

Andrew
(Mar. 25, 2009  3:35 AM)Evan Wrote: Chocked_2;; I'm confused now.

MB = Megabyte
Mb = Megabit
Idk how it is everywhere else but fiber is very popular around ny and most people have at least 5mbs connections.
(Mar. 25, 2009  3:37 AM)Maz Wrote: Idk how it is everywhere else but fiber is very popular around ny and most people have at least 5mbs connections.

Yes, well not everyone lives in New York, genius.
(Mar. 25, 2009  3:36 AM)Bey Brad Wrote: MB = Megabyte
Mb = Megabit

Ok so I get like 2 MB/s?
Well i guess all you guys wont be using this while i am.
(Mar. 25, 2009  3:41 AM)Maz Wrote: Well i guess all you guys wont be using this while i am.

Congrats...?
Thanks
(Mar. 25, 2009  3:47 AM)Maz Wrote: Thanks

:protarget:

Way to contribute. A+++++
(Mar. 25, 2009  3:41 AM)Roan Wrote: Congrats...?
Way to contribute. A+++++
you both suck shut the hell up

i live in the carp country
(Mar. 25, 2009  3:41 AM)Maz Wrote: Well i guess all you guys wont be using this while i am.

get out
This certainly is an interesting concept! If it does what they say it does, it could revolutionize the way people play games.

It will be interesting to see how it is received by the public once it's released.
damn people pissing in peoples cups or what? holy
every one has nicely elborated on thier points......;?

evan you still getting like 19Mbits/s not MBytes. that flippin fast though, i get round 5.
yo evan, Mega bits refer to millions of 1s or 0s
mega bytes refer to million or bytes, which are at least 8 bits in size but not limited too that. also evan trust me your gaming rig will give you a far better experience, it was money well spent.
i like this site http://www.speedtest.net/

Don't hate maz cause his internet is faster, damn.

More than anything, this concept would kinda be made or broken by lag or latency, because the user inputs have to travel to the cloud and then back to your screen.... plus the compression need sto be so lean.
I read an article yesterday, that said if their compression algorthim is so good why bother with games and focus on video streaming.?

its nice to see startups though.
I would love for this to succeed and prosper; however the odds are this seems like the type of thing that would be very buggy on launch.
(Mar. 27, 2009  10:14 PM)Khel Wrote: I would love for this to succeed and prosper; however the odds are this seems like the type of thing that would be very buggy on launch.

I really hope this doesn't prosper...Gamestop will crash, no more physical games (or media really Chocked_2;Wink, and it will carp up our economy more
(Mar. 29, 2009  11:55 PM)Evan Wrote: I really hope this doesn't prosper...Gamestop will crash, no more physical games (or media really Chocked_2;Wink, and it will carp up our economy more

People said the same thing about Music, but they were forced to change and adapt their business model. If this succeeds (in theory) then Gamestop & others will have to restructure their organization. If they are incapable to do so they will become irrelevant and that is too bad.

The mass market makes the decision, if they want less physical media then suppliers will comply. We will have new businesses with new mediums and the ability to tap incredibly huge markets. This is the beauty and bane of capitalism.

Also it is pretty hard to judge the effect on the economy on such a small story. Odds are adoption won't be that fast. By the time this reaches a very large scale, the economy might even have begun to pick itself up (you never know).

Off course this service could end up sucking mega hard and flop, only to fade away from consumers minds relegating it a spot in the list of bizarre technical innovations (right up there with the virtual boy)

Speculating is fun!
^Music Downloads still doesn't have the same marketshare that CDs do though.

Not to mention that, people may be willing to download a song for $2 that is less then 10MB, but will they be willing to download games at $40-$60 at 7GB+? I don't think so.

HHhhhhmmmm...
this just seems like a bunch of carp