How to make a Tournament happen? - The Guide

Hello, let me introduce myself.

I am BeyBladestation, I am a blader with little amounts of Beyblading in my area, but this doesn't stop me from trying to make a tournament or going to one. Just recently, due to some PayPal problems, I wasn't able to host a tournament. But in my small area, I was able to get 10 people to come so we could have some fun. In this guide, I will be teaching how you can host a tournament, and really just make it happen. I am doing this because recently I have seen people arguing with Kai-V about tournaments and a lack of them. Also adding that many people have made pointless threads asking for one, when clearly they should be hosting one themselves.

Good Luck!
From BeyBladestation.

How to host a successful Beyblade Tournament

You want to hold a tourney, and you need people. You've got the gear and stadiums, and if you don't... you buy them. Now you need 8 people, how to get them is very easy.

What are the materials that I will need to gather people for the tournament and start one?
  1. Internet Access
  2. A Prominent Location
  3. Beyblade Equipment

This supply will bring you to success. It is quite simple to if you have these things.

Now, after you have initialized your materials, we will need to assess a fit location to hold your tournament! Let's look at a scenario of someone in Richmond, Virgina, you also live there and want a tournament:

Hey! I live in Virginia and I love to battle. I have lots of friends that are bladers but there are no tournaments in my area, I'm in Richmond.. anyone else?

Well, in this case, there are some factors to be evaluated.
  • Location - Richmond, a tourney within 30 minutes is good
  • He battles frequently, does he have a BB-10 Stadium?
  • No tournaments in area, but many bladers around!
  • Lives in a Capitol city, Good locations to hold a tourney!

As we can see, this user has a good location to host a tournament! What does this mean? There must be more bladers as he mentioned! So now, we should contact him via PM; and tell him we live nearby, if we do.

We have now our location of interest: Richmond, Virginia.
We now have more bladers in our area!
We live in a capitol city, where there are lots of places to use as on target location!

O.K., now, lets say we contacted him and he has:

3 friends that are bladers!

Including him and yourself, as with his friends, there are 5 people! We need 3 more!

O.K., the next part is very self explanatory. We need to find people, this is the main part of my guide!

What should I use? Well, there are many free things we can use to find people in our area, and advertise for it! What are they?:
  • The WBO Topic for your State, IE: Virgina
  • Friends that may have other bladers as friends
  • Local Card/Hobby Stores
  • YouTube - Advertise your soon-to-be Tourney there!

1. WBO Topic

Q: How will this help me?
A: You can PM people who posted in that topic, to see if they are still available! Let's search to see some topics we can get people from residing in Virgina!

http://worldbeyblade.org/Thread-Virgina-...y-Blizzard
http://worldbeyblade.org/Thread-Richmond...-this-area
http://worldbeyblade.org/Thread-Virginia...lives-hear
http://worldbeyblade.org/Thread-Richmond...ders-unite

2. Friends that may have other bladers as friends!

Ask your friends to see of they have siblings or other friends as bladers! You can get more people by this!

3. Local Hobby/Card Stores

Try to find a Hobby Shop for cards and anime near you. Ask them if they sell or known Beybladers. I have done this before, I found 3 people!

4. YouTube

Advertise. It's free, and it's effortless. Make a video asking maybe your fans, or anyone in Virgina if there bladers nearby.

Seriously, after PMing so many people, getting friends in, and others, you'll have more than enough.

Now, we need to have some skills in mind, in particular of hosting a tournament. Let's list the items we need now:
  • *Attack Type BeyStadium
  • *Balance BeyStadium
  • *Triple Attack BeyStadium [SONO-KONG]
  • Beyblades

*You will only need one of those BeyStadiums to host your tourney, more are preferred.

That is really all you will need for your tourney, Beyblade wise. Now we need to setup our tournament, after we have the people, the BeyStadiums, and the location.

1. Make a new thread in the WBO General
IE: [Virginia, USA] (Tourney Name Here]
2. Post the information such as:
Location, Timing, Beyblade Format, and attendees.

That is it, now more people can come and sign up, that is if they need to!
You can add as more users become attendees.

The BeyPoint System, the vital part of a competitive tournament:

As I mentioned in the opening, I was trying to hold a tournament! I didn't know that the WBO Entry Fee went to that. So, I wasn't prepared.

So, I will teach you from my mistake. This is that you need to charge a $5 WBO Entry Fee for each competitor to use the BeyPoint System.

Once you have collected the money, you will need to send it to the WBO.

Here are 3 ways to submit the money to the WBO! Thanks, Ink. for this:

1. Submit the money into a bank account connected to PayPal. Simply donate the money through donate@worlbeyblade.org and inform a Comittee member (mainly Kai-V or Kei) that you've done so.

2. Go to a WalMart and buy a Green Dot card with the money that you've earned. Warning: there will be a $4 extra fee. Now, simply go into your PayPal account, select "Withdraw from Green Dot card" and enter the code on the backside. However much money you submitted into the card will be in your PayPal. Now donate it and inform Kai-V/Kei.

3. Simply use a credit card to donate the money and keep the physical cash. Inform Kai-V/Kei that you've done so.

NOTE: The WBO Entry Fee does not include prizes.

Now, we have to wait for tournament day! We know what to do with the money, so it's tome for the rules.

Rules:

It is best to have them memorized, but it is not necessary. You can print them out if you like, as well. It is just also good to know most of the basic rules and clauses.

We have finished the whole process, you should now have:
  • Established Beybladers
  • Prepared Beyblade Equipment
  • Good understading of Rules
  • How to find more Beybladers
  • Where to find more Beybladers
  • How to attract Beybladers
  • Good Understanding of the Rules
  • Starting the Tournament

Congratulations, you've gone through the:

How to make a Tournament happen? - The Advanced Guide!

Good Luck!
Best of wishes, BeyBladestation

Guide Stats:

3 Hours of work
Countless Grammar and Spelling Correction
Research of Standard and Universal Rules
Why would you use Virginia as an example if you live in Illinois? Uncertain I could tell you disaster stories about my Virginia tournament.

Also, a Green Dot Card is the most inefficient way to move funds as there will also be a fee to load money onto it. You can simply link your bank account to paypal and transfer money from your bank account for free.
I used Virgina because that was the majority of the people asking for a tourney. Sorry about that, but this is just to get something started up and going.

I understand of the Green Dot, it is still an option.
Thank You for reading, though.

Also, I didn't use Illinois because it would be too dumb. People would say, "well that's your area". I wanted to use an area foreign to me, Virgina clicked up.
Very nice guide.
No, it's smarter to use your area and something you have experience with because then you have proof that this guide actually works.

Virginia bladers were constantly asking for tournaments until one actually happened. Then only 9 people attended, but only 6 were actually from that area. The 3 that were not were the ones in my car.

Your guide doesn't actually account for absentees, keeping interest, issues in hosting a tournament, finding locations, dealing with parents, selling passports over one time entry fees, prize reimbursement, how to keep accurate records (registration and battles), checking parts, explaining the rules, formats, and only briefly covers promoting.

Really, there is a method to picking location based on a general level of household income. Economics and tournament locations are huge when I pick a location. For example, in the northeast, where there the standard cost of living is generally higher, people are willing to travel further. I put West Berlin as a location. Most people will think why the hell would you put a location in the middle of no where? Simple fact is it's not too far from a major highway and it's close to New York, Pennsylvania, and Maryland in retrospect so it's a bridge between Metagames. In the south, you can't do that. The cost of living is much less so people are not willing to travel as far. You have to pick something that is located by I-95 and in a major city.
(Jul. 03, 2011  7:27 PM)Deikailo Wrote: Your guide doesn't actually account for absentees, keeping interest, issues in hosting a tournament, finding locations, dealing with parents, selling passports over one time entry fees, prize reimbursement, how to keep accurate records (registration and battles), checking parts, explaining the rules, formats, and only briefly covers promoting.
This is for the Organizer to look too. If they cannot hold one, surely someone soon will.

I understand this, completely. I wanted to set up a huge base. Such as finding people, getting them to come, correct equipment, how to transfer money, and how to find a location.

Not the economics expert am I but if they can't hold it, I cannot help.

(Jul. 03, 2011  7:24 PM)Ultimate Kcpj Wrote: Very nice guide.
Thanks, man, I really appreciate it!
If you can't name every single detail and a solution to every possible problem, I wouldn't call this an "Advanced Guide". It's a good start, don't get me wrong, but you overlooked some key points such as researching previous events, PMing the previous organizers for an attendance list, PMing each and every blader from previous threads, checking to see their last log in date, and checking the map.
The advanced guide of making it happen in my case wouldn't involve personal issues.

i understand that, but I did it before, worked out fine.
Then it is just a basic guide.

In Th!nk's post about his tournament experience, he actually says he let two people play to satisfy parents and in turn, makes full round robin harder for himself.

Just as the Committee adds "Advanced Members" for being able to accurately detail the game and its features to the rest of us, so should an "Advanced Guide". It really seems like you're just lengthening Moss-Da-Boss's Guide otherwise.

If you really want to make the best guide out there, you can't exclude anything. It should be so concise that a complete newbie can make a successful event if it's followed to the T.
I'll change the title if I can, soon.
Nice guide however I just find it odd as you have not been to a official WBO tournament or have hosted one, maybe people will take you seriously if you have experiance. I know you have hosted some in your area but getting one accepted from WBO is a different story.

Don't forgot that you NEED to be trust worthy and present yourself in a good manner. The reason why I say this is all down to personal experiance my friend.
(Jul. 03, 2011  10:59 PM)RAW Wrote: Nice guide however I just find it odd as you have not been to a official WBO tournament or have hosted one, maybe people will take you seriously if you have experiance. I know you have hosted some in your area but getting one accepted from WBO is a different story.
This is why I made this guide?

Obviously I didn't hold on because of a PayPal issue that I had. So, after seeing my mistake I wanted to teach others so they didn't get the same one. Being prepared.

Currently, I'm planning something out, the PayPal issue still resides with me, though.

Thanks for reading.
nice guide for those who just join wbo and throws event proposal without knowing anything this topic deserves a thread and thanks for making it bbs
Thanks man, it was worth making!
Why would anyone want to make their own tournament anyway isn't that the whole point of the wbba I mean they have tournaments in the most random places which I think is really dumb like what about tournaments in the other places like san jose and the others they are usually in canada,australia,los angeles,ect
(Aug. 08, 2011  2:05 AM)beykid3000 Wrote: Why would anyone want to make their own tournament anyway isn't that the whole point of the wbba I mean they have tournaments in the most random places which I think is really dumb like what about tournaments in the other places like san jose and the others they are usually in canada,australia,los angeles,ect

You obviously know very little about the WBO... The only thing the WBBA does is host pointless 'tournaments' at toy stores. The WBO's tournaments are actually worthwhile, because you get some enjoyment out of them, as well as achievements that aren't stickers. Tongue_out

Anyway, thanks for making this guide, BBS. It gave me some ideas for when I organize my own tourney. (If that ever happens, hah.)
Lol are you an idiot?
WBBA doesn't host tourneys in America to my knowledge, and Hasderp doesn't host tourneys often, many times, none AT ALL. And they're in the places where a LOT of people live. For people like me, these tourneys are great considering I don't live in a "high populated" area where they do everything. I'd love to explain everything in detail about this, but sadly, I don't feel like it. :B
Plus :
- Hasbro tournaments have an age limit, as do TAKARA-TOMY's as far as I know;
- Hasbro tournaments use Hasbro stadiums;
- Hasbro tournaments are very scarce, and absolutely ridiculously late in the game;
- Hasbro tournaments are not everywhere;
- Hasbro tournaments use suspiciously non-competitive rules;
- In short, Hasbro tournaments are not fair nor really competitive.
Rai, you calling me an idiot, or Bey3000? I was confused because you didn't quote Bey3000.
(Aug. 08, 2011  2:11 AM)Kaioya Wrote: The only thing the WBBA does is host pointless 'tournaments' at toy stores....

Apparently, you have no idea what WBBA is and what kind of tournaments they do.. Serious
(Aug. 09, 2011  1:01 PM)Uwik Wrote:
(Aug. 08, 2011  2:11 AM)Kaioya Wrote: The only thing the WBBA does is host pointless 'tournaments' at toy stores....

Apparently, you have no idea what WBBA is and what kind of tournaments they do.. Serious

That's all they do where I live. :\ I know very little of what they do outside of the US.
WBBA does not exist in US. It's Hasbro/Toys R Us who organize pointless toy store tournaments.
Well...some hasbro tournaments are going to be good. The US reginols/nationals are coming up...but Hasbro does put together some pointless "tournaments".
Even though I'm pretty much the one who started this, methinks we're starting to get a little off-topic... So let's fix that. Tongue_out
Yes you are right....great guide BBS!