mgs5 officially confirmed

there is plenty of space on a dvd for any current gen game (except for mistwalker who seems to be incompetent about this sort of thing)

audio could be compressed a little (like as in unnoticeable) but video won't be affected since cut scenes in metal gear solid games have always been real time

and as for pc pirating; developers should just carp off with securom and use steam (still, it's not like metal gear solid's audience are big pc gamers anyway)
(Jun. 22, 2009  9:39 PM)Sam Wrote: there is plenty of space on a dvd for any current gen game (except for mistwalker who seems to be incompetent about this sort of thing)

audio could be compressed a little (like as in unnoticeable) but video won't be affected since cut scenes in metal gear solid games have always been real time

and as for pc pirating; developers should just carp off with securom and use steam (still, it's not like metal gear solid's audience are big pc gamers anyway)

They're real time but they're are still cut scenes, theres not much interaction so they still take a huge chunk of space but its not only that, you've got high res textures, high poly models, areas, particle effects, volumetric lighting among other stuff, comparing a dvd to blu ray is like comparing an ant to a whale :p and compressing audio is horrible =\

You notice it when your connected via the digital output on surround sound and get static sound or the like and thats really irritating when your playing something like call of duty since every little sound can help you know where the other guy is Tongue_out, i agree with your last point though they should all revert to similar ways of distribution but then it always cuts off the people who dont have the internet in less fortunate countries (you'd be surprised at the pc's they have there Tongue_out)
Just because you're not interacting doesn't mean that cut scenes use up a lot of space. They're just little instructions telling the game to move this model as so and play that sound clip as such.

GTA IV 6.8GB
Gears of War 2 6.7GB
Orange Box is 4.7GB
Far Cry 2 4.5GB
Burnout Paradise 3.4GB

I don't see why 25/50GB is needed other than convenience for developers.
Then there are games like MGS4 which use all 50GB of a dual-layered BD. Mind you, that's both MGO and MGS4, and uncompressed audio, and HD video.
and Sam, you're talking about in-game cutscenes. Something like Final Fantasy, and Metal Gear use a lot of pre-rendered cutscenes. And those can take up a lot of space.
(Jun. 24, 2009  1:18 AM)Sam Wrote: Just because you're not interacting doesn't mean that cut scenes use up a lot of space. They're just little instructions telling the game to move this model as so and play that sound clip as such.

GTA IV 6.8GB
Gears of War 2 6.7GB
Orange Box is 4.7GB
Far Cry 2 4.5GB
Burnout Paradise 3.4GB

I don't see why 25/50GB is needed other than convenience for developers.

And then look at the models/textures and overall dynamics of the games, they dont compare to mgs, even with the 50gb limit of the blu ray mgs still had an 8gb install on your hd, more capacity means they can put more on, and its not as easy as move target a to target b, you have to sync the sound, make sure the sound is completely crisp and at its best, even though mgs is a game that doesn't have pre rendered cut scenes, they are still there and take up a lot of space mainly due to their length and the amount of stuff going on, on screen. ' Burnout Paradise 3.4GB ' no its not i have it on ps3 as a downloadable, the latest update burnout paradise island was 3.3gb alone so how you managed to get that number is beyond me.
SO HEY GUYS

HOW 'BOUT THAT MGS5 HUH?

Seriously shut up already, Jesus this is the most pointless argument ever. Go back to GameFAQs forums if you want to argue about this retarded carp.
i remember when i didn't have anything better to do but argue about video games on the internet

seriously
(Jun. 24, 2009  6:02 AM)To Wrote: and Sam, you're talking about in-game cutscenes. Something like Final Fantasy, and Metal Gear use a lot of pre-rendered cutscenes. And those can take up a lot of space.
metal gear games have never had pre-rendered cutscenes (portables excluded)
Peace Walker is out in May in North America and Europe. There are a two Japanese demos, and one English demo (with the second on the way) available.