a facebook thread for the ages

Tamer Brad Wrote:http://www.facebook.com/topic.php?uid=74...topic=7158

Augh, I'm going to get crucified for saying this, but here goes!

Why does it seem that black people always have to turn everything into a race issue? Why is it that all minorities always have to be played the victim?

It's not just this. Take for instance the whole Hurricane Katrina thing. There were people on TV trying to say that the US government didn't send the help necessary because of the people that were affected. In other words, because they were black and we're racists.

Here's the news guys: It was a natural disaster, and one of the largest ones the US has seen in recent years. Maybe there was some racial motivation behind it, I can't deny that there wasn't, but let's not get on TV and be all evangelical about it, especially when it's a disaster as big as Katrina was.

There's no doubt that blacks still experience plenty of racism in the modern world, but for Christ's sakes, this is Stephen Colbert we're talking about here. He's a comedian of the political sort. Racial issues are bound to be one of the things he pokes fun at. To be honest, I'm amazed he hasn't gone after gay people yet. lol

I guess my point here is that people need to take this as what it really is: Comedy and nothing more. It takes someone comfortable in their own skin to be able to make fun of themselves. I do it all the time. I can even tolerate people doing it towards me most of the time, unless I can tell it's in a malicious manner. But really... This has nothing to do with racism.

Ugh.

/end rant
Oh no Roan, I completely agree with you. Keep reading the thread.
Chocked

oh man. I read the first page and i couldn't go any further.
It was cringe inducing.
Quote:He's a halfee, a mulatto. He grew up in the suburbs with his white mom, listening to punk rock and heavy metal before he was captivated by 50 cent and the 'wansta' movement of the early '00s. He soon fell in love with a fairly attractive chubby white woman with a badonkadonk, and begain watching the daily show with her white intellectual family, before noticing that everyone was laughing and looking at him a little differently when the Colbert Report came on. Thus his whiteness was threatened and he began to form conspiracies. Mentally Crippled, and psychologically scarred he seeks help from those who might share his radical beliefs. And so he trolls online forums to this day...

This one really got the ball rolling.
It's funny really, you never hear about black racist groups like the black panthers. After all, ALL white people are racist.
John Wrote:It's funny really, you never hear about black racist groups like the black panthers. After all, ALL white people are racist.

The black panthers aren't a "racist group".
sam Wrote:
John Wrote:It's funny really, you never hear about black racist groups like the black panthers. After all, ALL white people are racist.

More so than any other ethnicity.

I'd certainly be willing to refute this. I've met VERY few racist white people, and this sentiment seems to be similar through others. If anything, minorities are extremely racist towards white people.
Tamer Brad Wrote:
sam Wrote:

I'd certainly be willing to refute this. I've met VERY few racist white people, and this sentiment seems to be similar through others. If anything, minorities are extremely racist towards white people.

Agreed.
Elmo Wrote:Why is it never about Asians? Chocked

Because they're adorable and non-threatening.

(Anyone who knows anything about history will be able to tell that this is sarcastic and won't freak out at me.)
Tamer Brad Wrote:Because they're adorable and non-threatening.

I actually laughed at this Grin

When I read the part where it talked about Bill Cosby , I remembered the SNL intro where K-Fed said he's like the new Bill Cosby: He's funny, he's good with kids, and he's BLACK (capitalized to show that the actor emphasized the word).

I cracked up Chocked

Sorry about the fact that this doesn't pertain to the thread, lol
Roan Wrote:
Tamer Brad Wrote:
sam Wrote:

Agreed.
I'm gonna have to disagree on this one. I've met more racist white people than I have black people, and while it's true that there are black people intolerant of other races, it's likely far more common to see a white person with those feelings. Having actually experienced this first hand on numerous occasions, it's still rather prevalent in our society.

Maybe it's due to the fear and stereotypes planted in the minds of adults through vehicles like television, music, and news reports. The common stereotype of black males isn't flattering, with us carrying around gats in our baggy pants, and blasting rap music with intense bass throughout neighborhoods in our stolen cars committing drive-bys.

Most of the prejudice I see committed is by Caucasians, and it's directed towards minorities no matter what color they are. Discrimination towards those of Hispanic or Middle-Eastern descent is becoming increasingly common, and you wouldn't believe what others say when they think nobody else is listening.

Now I'm not asserting that even close to a large proportion of white people are racist, or that all minorities aren't racist. However, I'm not sure you deny that they have shown themselves to be more prejudiced than any other race when it comes to these matters.
I think this might really depend on where you live. Now that I think about it, here in Newfoundland racism is surprisingly prevalent, but in Ontario, I never came into it and rather found myself on the receiving end of racist remarks.

Keep in mind I'm from Canada; we love everyone.
That's true. In some areas of the states, it gets really bad. I'd imagine this thing to be only more common in the United States, rather than the Americas or the world as a whole.
Mr. Toto Wrote:That's true. In some areas of the states, it gets really bad. I'd imagine this thing to be only more common in the United States, rather than the Americas or the world as a whole.

I'd agree with this. I know down in North Carolina where I used to live racism towards blacks was very prevalent. Here in Michigan it's not as much of an issue.

Oh and about your stereotype thing from a few posts back, I'll just say this: It's not hard to see why these stereotypes are believed when huge figures in the black community (rappers and the like) are on television promoting it every day in music videos and things. I'm not saying I believe in the stereotype because I know it isn't true, I'm just pointing out that it's not just pushed by whites.
Roan Wrote:
Mr. Toto Wrote:That's true. In some areas of the states, it gets really bad. I'd imagine this thing to be only more common in the United States, rather than the Americas or the world as a whole.

I'd agree with this. I know down in North Carolina where I used to live racism towards blacks was very prevalent. Here in Michigan it's not as much of an issue.

Oh and about your stereotype thing from a few posts back, I'll just say this: It's not hard to see why these stereotypes are believed when huge figures in the black community (rappers and the like) are on television promoting it every day in music videos and things. I'm not saying I believe in the stereotype because I know it isn't true, I'm just pointing out that it's not just pushed by whites.

Agreed. Toto, they're not all classy gents like yourself. Unhappy To be honest, as much as I hate it, my mind jumps to completely inaccurate thoughts due to the influence of the media.

Then again, I avoid teenagers in general.
Tamer Brad Wrote:I've met VERY few racist white people, and this sentiment seems to be similar through others. If anything, minorities are extremely racist towards white people.

Also agreed. I believe that minorities are so worried about racism that they're perpetuating the idea that people of different races actually are different just because of their race.
Tamer Brad Wrote:Keep in mind I'm from Canada; we love everyone.

Asshat
carp facebook
they suspended my account yesterday, I have no idea what I did =/