Your Editing Skills - What editor do you use?

Well, I'm trying to get into video and photo editing. But I'm much more interested in video TBH. I'm not just starting though... here's a look at my background:

In 2007, I learned about Windows Movie Maker. I was much interested in a some amazing gun videos people were making. Later on, I saw a guy on YouTube named freddiew. The videos he made at the current time weren't as stunning as his current ones. But they were still something to be noticed for. So in 2009, I took multiple in school and after school video application classes. Then I joined a graphic arts class as well for 3 months. After this, I headed off to video clubs and such that were taking place on campus. I was now so interested I needed something other than a small and puny editor such as WMM. So I made the switch to Windows Live Movie Maker. After using it a bit, it wasn't much advanced. Little did I know, my potential was very high... too high for Live. Then, I steeped into Photo Editing with editors such as: Pixlr.com, Photoshop, Picnic, Photo Studio, etc. I realized a sudden surge of interest into it, and special effects. Especially .GIF images, which stunned my mind. Though, my most favorite artist I wanted to find. I found some amazing people, though their .GIF capability was limited. So, in 2010 I started to like Beyblade.... and then I opened a signature shop. It was extremely successful because all of this amazing feedback that I was receiving, heck I even surprised myself. I soon started a website, with a sub-domain. On the website I received a good 30 followers. So I led off to start something new... and amazing.

That, my friends, was video editing, especially Beyblade. I started my soon to be 2,000 subscriber base YouTube base. I took this as a huge oppurtunity. I made some cool videos, nothing yet fantastic. My best works include a movie that I worked at in class. This Summer, though, I plan to make a near 30 minute movie of Beyblade and guns involved. I got into green screen and chroma-key. I took tutorial videos as help to me. All of this earned me yet so much to be desired.

So now I'm here where I am now. Reliving my video editing career. My biggest interest of all is Muzzle flash (Gun shots). I use Cyberlink Powerdirector 9. I have used WMM, WML, Sony Vegas, etc.

Talk about simple and hardcore video editing here.
I made something like this earlier but got no response I use Sony Vegas Pro Adobe CS5 Cinema 4D, look at my youtube in my sig for my stuff..
(Jun. 10, 2011  5:38 PM)Galaxxy Wrote: I made something like this earlier but got no response I use Sony Vegas Pro Adobe CS5 Cinema 4D, look at my youtube in my sig for my stuff..
Hardcore man. By the way, where did you get the music from? Does Sony Vegas have royalty free music in it?
i use a simple Photoshop CS3 Smile it works Smile
Its was when I found about WMM and started using it , but I had no idea on how to start but a few days after I messed up with it and started making videos , no current AMV's but soon I will have them but then afterward when I got bored or making videos and left WMM alive in my desktop I later started with the Photo Editing Software's , my first one to start with was GIMP but once again I had no idea where to start , I then starting using other software's such as Picnik and it was more user friendly and easy but it doesn't have good animations , filters , tools and other abilities to compare with GIMP until I stumbled upon a GIMP Beginner Tutorial and I started making signatures and avatars a few weeks ago. And yes I like .GIF Animations too !

So basically in short I use WMM for Video Editing and GIMP for Photo Editing.
I use Paint.NET for photo editing ;(

I wish I could get Photoshop and SonyVegas Pro for video editing.
Videos: WMM

It never gets old when people are like "lolwut" when I say I use a GIMP to make my pictures xD

Genius
Manipulation
Program
iMovie. In my opinion, nothing even compares to it.

While windows movie maker is easier to learn and use, the program itself is...well...very lame.

iMovie, however, is more difficult to learn and use. As opposed to WMM, it has a lot more features and is more fun to use once you get the hang of it. I'd say iMovie is very "hardcore".

Yeah, I'm a mac.
(Jun. 10, 2011  9:44 PM)Sparta Wrote: iMovie. In my opinion, nothing even compares to it.

iMovie, however, is more difficult to learn and use. As opposed to WMM, it has a lot more features and is more fun to use once you get the hang of it. I'd say iMovie is very "hardcore".
iMovie is... good. Though, it is certainly nothing compared to something the Adobe Premiere Elements, Cyberlink PowerDirector, or Sony Vegas. I understand it is your complete opinoin, just wanted to point something out. iMovie does have its own library of effects, especially with sounds and that's why I like it. But, my editor and others have royalty free effects while having MUCH more features; these can be such as Chroma-Key, word direction, word effects, shadow effects, double timeline, reverse timeline, enhanced slow motion, etc. Overall, iMovie is great for the one who loves to edit videos, though not at full "hardcore".

WMM is actually pretty lame, though I suggest you try Windows Live Movie Maker, it is much better.
I use Adobe Photoshop 7.0 for all graphics. It is years old, but I can do everything there and better than most people. From what certain users of more recent Photoshop programs have told me, the latest versions just have shortcuts to do basically the same thing, so since I am not lazy, I stay with Adobe Photoshop 7.0.

Furthermore, I never use brushes ...
I just use simple iMovie HD for my vids, works well enough.
(Jun. 10, 2011  8:30 PM)NoodooSoup Wrote: I use Paint.NET for photo editing ;(

I wish I could get Photoshop and SonyVegas Pro for video editing.

I use to use paint.NET. Now I use Photoshop 7.0.

For videos, when I so make them, I just use Sony Vegas 5.0
I use Photoshop CS2(Laugh all you want now)
It's fairly an old model.... But heck easier to use...

I still need to learn the basics of WMM,though
(Jun. 11, 2011  12:28 AM)DX Wrote: I still need to learn the basics of WMM,though

Drag clip into timeline. Make clip desired length. Export movie.
Not that much to learn. Vegas is plain confusing.
Look at my photoshop and editing skills stuff here (mostly editing) http://www.youtube.com/user/MonzTaaHD I have 412 subs atm Unhappy although I deserve more Smile
I use iMovie '08 for all of the BeyChannel videos I've done. It's not "hardcore" by any means, but it does what I need it to do. The UI owns.

And this isn't technically a "video editor", but if you're interested in special effects/motion graphics/etc., Adobe After Effects is a very cool program. I've only used it for one project in the past, and while it was daunting at first, after watching a few tutorials, I was able to feel relatively comfortable with it in just a few days (it might be a different story now though, after a year of not touching the program, haha).

(Jun. 10, 2011  11:56 PM)Kai-V Wrote: I use Adobe Photoshop 7.0 for all graphics. It is years old, but I can do everything there and better than most people. From what certain users of more recent Photoshop programs have told me, the latest versions just have shortcuts to do basically the same thing, so since I am not lazy, I stay with Adobe Photoshop 7.0.

Furthermore, I never use brushes ...

The oldest Photoshop I've ever used was CS, but for me, the best feature about the newer versions is the interface. It's much more pleasant to work in.
(Jun. 11, 2011  1:08 AM)Kei Wrote: The oldest Photoshop I've ever used was CS, but for me, the best feature about the newer versions is the interface. It's much more pleasant to work in.

My computer itself is old, so I would probably not really see the real new interface anyway, hah.
I use Gimp for all of my photo editing. sadly for you guys, you don't ever get to see any of my photo editing. Maybe I'll use some in my Signature sometime. it's pretty good looking too! Joyful_2

if I use it at all, it will probably be something that has to do with Trigun. Joyful_2
For videos I use Sony Vegas and after effects. For pictures I use Photoshop CS4 but I really want to learn how to use Paint.NET.
Photoshop. I'm not good at all. I made my avatar and sig though (background pictures from my family's camera, obviously goku from YouTube), that's about as good as I can do. My brother is good though, these kind of things really interest him.

He uses photoshop (not the full professional version, or whatever it's called)

And adobe premier elements for videos.

He has shown me videos on YouTube of adobe after effects. That's something that also interests him.
I use notepad/command prompt (CLI) for everything because I can see the Matrix...

Really though:

Vector Graphics - Flash (latest) - I just like the fact that I can draw the image using different shapes (on PC) and delete them bit by bit until i obtain what i am after.

Bitmap Graphics - Photoshop (latest) - Just because...

Codes - Notepad++ - Easy to read codes with it

Website - Dreamweaver (latest) - I like to see the outcome at the same time as editing.
Nice, a lot of people here use Photoshop! Good to know, anyone here use Cyberlink Power Director? I can give you, as a member, a free version. But, it's actually great. It works on my old computer, it'll work on anyones. I've used Vegas, though as Kei mentioned on After Effects, I havent used Vegas in like a year. So... is it really confusing for plain editing? Is it easy to get used to?
For video editing I do really basic editing so WMM for Windows 7 is fine for me ATM....

For photo editing I use GIMP.... It really suits my needs... No need for Photoshop here Grin

(Jun. 11, 2011  3:00 AM)BeyBladestation Wrote: I've used Vegas, though as Kei mentioned on After Effects, I havent used Vegas in like a year. So... is it really confusing for plain editing? Is it easy to get used to?

Vegas is pretty easy to use.... I' use it a lot since one of my relatives that lives close has it..... I've only used Vegas Pro 8 however... But it is one great program for video editing... You should give it a shot... Takes a while to get used to though... But in the end it is worth it... But After Effects would be better for your needs if you make lots of animations in your videos.... Vegas is mainly for advanced video editing, chroma-key, with decent photo editing and minor 2D animating......
WMM should not be really underestimated you know...It can have all the effects as well as the transitions that various other video editing programs have...It can also produce high quality (720p&1080p) videos pretty easily...But you need to add certain XML files...That's it...But i just render the videos in 480p so as to upload the videos on youtube faster...Hence you can have everything that a complicated video editing program has...and it's pretty much easy to work with it too..I made my DBZ AMV using only movie maker...And it had many effects that were not in WMM and i had a pretty good feedback for it too...

Hence I use WMM for my video editing..For some "rare" occasions I have used Sony Vegas Pro 9..But I don't use it much...
well i have nearly used all versions of photoshop for editing pics i have ps cs5 too but when we compare it with older versions or all of the versions i find ps cs4 to be more user-friendly , easy and with most of the features so i prefer or i must say i use adobe photoshop cs4 for editing pics