Website Idea!

Hello fellow Bladers! After a bit of poking around on the customisation forums, I decided that it would be beneficial for tests to be recorded in an archive! That way, anyone can have easy access to them without have to search through thousands of posts!

The best way I could come up with for this archive, would be to make a website devoted to it. This is what I have in mind for it so far.

The top banner would be a picture of a beyblade or two (naturally) and say "WBO Test Archive" in fancy script, not unlike the WBO website, and that will be displayed on every page of the website. On the homepage, there would be a list to the left of new tests that were added, and to the right a list of popular (based on amounts of visits) tests. To the top there would be a search bar where you could search a part or custom and see all tests including what you searched. So you would search a part /custom and click the link to it when it popped up, and it would bring up a page with a picture of it, and a list of all tests including it.

Kai-V added a great idea to have the search engine recognize different parts. Like if you wanted to search for the "W" (wide) bottom, and typed in W, the search engine would bring up every page that has the letter "W" in it. Instead, have it know that every part is it's own word, and have it search for the pages where it is the last letter in a word, or alone. Sorry if I didn't explain that all that well.

Anyways, the purpose of this thread is for everyone's opinion! I want to know what you guys think of this. I personally thought it was a shame that a lot of tests were going to waste, being forgotten, and not being organised.

And opinions, ideas, improvements, questions, concerns, comments, et cetera are welcome here! I want all of them!
This looks like a neat idea, but maybe instead of an entirely new website, put them here or on beywiki?
I don't see why a testing archive would need it's own site at all, we could easily put an archive on Beywiki. An organization method might be a little difficult, but we could probably get it done in about a week.
(Nov. 25, 2014  8:59 PM)Wizard Wrote: I don't see why a testing archive would need it's own site at all, we could easily put an archive on Beywiki. An organization method might be a little difficult, but we could probably get it done in about a week.

(Nov. 25, 2014  8:30 PM)Echizen Wrote: This looks like a neat idea, but maybe instead of an entirely new website, put them here or on beywiki?

Okay, I was thinking about it, but wasn't sure. So we can ask Kai-V if we can make this addition. I don't think we can put it here as the only real format we would have is a thread post, which would be messy.

Any ideas as far as how to organise it? Or any ideas that might make it more convenient?
Make a list of parts that have already been tested in alphabetical order with each one linking to it's own page. On the page for the individual parts provide a summary of the up-to-date testing results with the actual results in a quotebox below it. Then just add a section under that for outdated results and mention why the results are no longer relevant.
This sounds like a really good idea. You could take this idea even a step further. This would require a bit of PHP and I have no knowledge about what scripts are allowed on the server.

You could combine the idea of an archive and a new standardised way of inputting and displaying test results.

If you had an individual id for each part. Using a form you could input the combos using a set off pull down menus. Then you could input the results into text boxes, have a section for comments, proof of parts etc... Then you would have an identifiable dataset.

So depending on what content you want produce you can search the database in many different ways. By individual parts, combos, "part x" vs "part y" etc. Basically the sky is the limit; think of all the interesting and possibly useless statistical data that you could generate.

What would be beneficial for a system like this would be wannabe testers such as myself could easily search and find untested combos. They may not all be the most useful in terms of competitive play but they would be adding to the archive and adding value to the community.

Trouble is.. cost (hosting etc,) programming the php and the nightmare of migrating all the old results into the new system!

This is a very much a "pie in the sky" suggestion but is more than possible. I used to be the designer / content master of a F1 site that focused on crashes etc. I designed something similar but relating to F1. Crashes by punctures, driver, track, you name it. I was only the designer, so I did not have to worry about the coding, I only had to make demands, so I appreachate it is vastly easier said than done.