Voice Acting Differences

Before you reply, take note that this topic is NOT for blatant and bland bashing of Voice Actors. It's for exploring any character's difference in voice acting from one language to another and the possible reason behind it.

You may explore any character's dubbed or subbed voice from any media; be it from Beyblade or not.

--- HAJIMERU ZO ---

In hindsight, it came across me why voice acting differs from every language particularly Japanese and English.

Ignoring the possibility that some voice actors are bland and n00bish -- Well, they will NOT be hired if they are anyway (and the dubbing director is usually the one to blame); probably there is some sort of cultural difference thingy going on.

For instance, Spectra Phantom/Keith Fermin from Bakugan.
Daniel Petronijevic choose to portray the 19-year-old rebel side of Spectra which is more understandable outside Japan than the menacing deep-voiced Visual Kei rocker ("ROTFL Boyband") portrayal done by Yasuhiro Mamiya in Japan.

...and Spectra's FF7-esque counterpart in Beyblade Metal Masters:
Benjamin Israel seems to have done a nice impression of Cloud Strife from Final Fantasy VII, whether it's intentional or not -- it sounds just like Steve Burton which is tastefully perfect. In Japanese, Kouki Miyata just portrayed a submissive emo kid which is IMO overrated.

"NANBA WAN!"
^ Engrish never dies~! Put the Gunz on!! XDDD

Similar along the lines of Spectra is Dallas from Valkyrie Profile.
Hiroshi Kamiya portrayed a melancholic Visual Kei vocalist (because Visual Kei songs often involve the word "Kanashimi" / Sorrow for a good reason) in the Japanese version while Yuri Lowenthal chooses the "boy-next-door" or "childhood friend" type, totally ignoring the much deeper voice of the character in Japanese.

...and of course, Genesis from Crisis Core.
In Japanese...well, what do I have to say? It's perfect since it's the guy in fleshed out video game dude? Well, we can't force him to dub his character in English so they choose a more pleasant voice actor which is the very obscured Oliver Quinn who did a lot better than the more well-known Downes that did an unnecessary vampire-esque voice in Dirge of Cerberus. ROTFL. Tongue_out

I probably am one of the (few, several, I dunno) people that are displeased with Rob Tinkler's kiddy voice acting though his voice acting of more mature characters like Wiseman is very good. Lync Volan and Ginga Hagane are way too overdone and sounds bratty while in Japanese (Lync - Matsuri Mizuguchi, Ginga - Aki Kaneda), they sound like a typical shonen (boy) in a shonen anime series which seems just right.

Lastly, the best portrayed character in either English or Japanese is Travis Touchdown in No More Heroes. Robin Atkin Downes (who failed as Genesis) portrayed a really cool Johnny Knoxville-inspired Otaku in English (Moe~!) while Kazuya Nakai the King of Engrish in Sengoku Basara was able to give the American Travis very much justice with his cool Engrish speaking.