Utopia Not For Some (Short Story)

Well in writing class, we were supposed to create any kind of story having to do with utopias and this is what I chose to do with it. So just tell me what you guys think. :3

Utopia Not For Some

Far into the past, humans fell into the age of technology. After many years of industrialization, the world became filled with sky scrapers that pierced the clouds, and everything then was instant. Mother nature was slowly forgotten, and at the end of her life she decided to have her revenge against the wicked species and she showed them her wrath. The earth began to fall apart, committing suicide knowingly creating a black hole from within. The planet fell silently into oblivion, unable to let out a single cry. Though the result was not as people thought it would be. Perhaps inside the planet, she still loved humans, for when they awoke, it seemed as though they were cast into a twilight zone. The sun was pitch black, yet kept the odd sky emerald as it rested upon the colorless water that just seemed to appear as a giant mirror reflecting the broken planet, as if reflecting the sins man had made to mock them.

As the dejected species lay motionless, the planet began its slow descent to the water. Some areas of land fell faster than others, and the water and lava began to spill into the clear water. Upon touching the surface of the clear water, the land masses froze, and so did all life that lived on them. The clear water flashed and became purple in less than an instant, as if taking the tainted energies and devouring them. It then began to climb the frozen pillars of lava and water until reaching the land masses. Sweeping across the land and engulfing it all, then disappearing as if it were just an illusion. As if pressing the play button on a remote, everything came back to life, though the planet was no long falling. The separate masses of land all faced upward and were clustered together. Buildings began to sprout, nature fell from the sky and spread, and as for the humans... they were put into a deep sleep before they could awake again.

A time passed by before anyone awoke, and slowly, one after another, they awoke. Holding no memory of who they were, or why they were, they began to live their lives thoughtlessly and emotionlessly. Time was no longer there, neither were there any children or elderly. No schools, race, age, color or anything at all really. Everything you could discriminate against someone was gone, and so were the thoughts to do so. Life continued on for many years, there were no deaths, and there were no births. No one even knew what death or birth were, since they could not think of it. All they could do, everyday of their lives, was to simply do their jobs. Of course, they rested and ate when they felt they should, for their sense of time was not completely lost, just distorted. It was not until many rests later that a person broke free from the spell of life and became aware of the true nature of the world.

For the very first time, a human gave itself a name, B. B did not know why it was decided that B be would B’s name, but B was not smart enough to question itself. Over many, many nights, B became more curious of the world and began to break free from its routine, though nobody else was aware of this, as they all did their own thing. B began exploring to the other land masses, and made the discovery of its lifetime. On the higher plateaus, was everything humans had ever seen in this world before. Nature, and lots of it. Color that filled the horizon and strange non-humans that flew, swam and ran across the place. It was here that B began to slowly realize its true self as well. B witnessed the non-humans feasting on each other and hunting each other. B noticed that after a while, these strange life forms began to resemble the human species after being eaten, and for the first time, B felt fear. Quickly, B began to look at its body and feel itself. Time returned to B and B returned to humanity, but not what B was hoping for. B realized what B stood for and why it gave itself this name, For B was for Bones, and Bones was dead, as was the rest of humanity.

Bones was rapidly growing more intelligent by the second and was beginning to experience more and more emotions. After letting out a scream, Bones collapsed onto the plains of which he stood. For how long had Bones existed without actually living. At first one would think that the lives they led were of a Utopia and would wish to live in such a place. But when one actually sits down and thinks of it, one can’t help but hate the world they would have to live in. Not knowing, not experiencing, not truly existing, just laying in purgatory while being robbed of time. This “Utopia” to Bones, was actually a “Dystopia” and was truly a horrifying truth that dislodged the future of humanity. Afraid to go back, Bones ventured deeper and deeper into the continents. Bones stayed there for a very long period time, and after a while began to imitate the organisms he called animals. He pasted mud and dirt over his bony body until it covered him from head to toe. And after taking a rest under the black sun, he awoke in a small village near a lake which had water as dark as the water that crossed the horizons beneath them.

Darting upright faster than a snap of the fingers, he, for the very first time, breathed in and out. He sat for a moment, blank, just staring into lake in front of him.
After a few minutes, he stood up and wandered around the village. Not a single soul, other than his. He walked back to the lake to see a reflection of himself. It was then that he discovered himself as an individual and smiled. Skin, hair, teeth, flesh, and a gender. He had them all. He realized himself as male and began to swim in the lake. Little did he know he had been spied on from the forest around him the entire time. After getting wet and getting out, his nerves came to life and he felt cold. The sun had gone down and he huddled alone in an empty house, shivering and closing his eyes shut tight. Footsteps, whispers, and light entered the dark house. It was other living humans.

They opened the door to the room he was in and they were just like him. They were humans who had gained their lives, though they were all different looking. Some were small and had really big eyes, and others were wrinkly to the point of looking like dried up grapes. Some were dark, and some were light. Some were very tall and strong looking, and some were small and fragile. Some were males, and some were females, but all of them, no matter how different they looked, wore clothes. Just by looking at them, he could understand he was lacking many things that they had. “A fast learner, huh. That’s great! Looks like he’ll be able to understand everything soon.” Dialogue, sound, these people were able to move their mouths in such a way to communicate, something he had never done before. “Skull, dress then educate him what he needs to know.” A large, muscularly tanned man with long hair stepped forward with extra clothes for Bones to wear. Silently, he put them on with a curious look that rivaled an innocent child’s. Darkness overcame Bones, and he slept.

The next morning, Bones awoke refreshed and relaxed. He got out of his bed and stepped outside his house. There, Skull was waiting for him. He brought him to a large building with many books in them, and brought him to the language section. For the next few months, he taught him how to speak and communicate with others. After the final lesson, Skull told him to go to the house that had a wooden rooster on the top of it. There, the village leader, Cranium would tell him the truth of the world. Bones entered the office and sat down across from Cranium. For the next few hours, Cranium explained to him the nature of the world they were in. “Those who break free from the curse have a choice to continue purely existing, or they can leave and enter the land of life. However, by choosing the path of life, you are also accepting death, and you will soon fade from this world.” Those words echoed into Bones’ head, though on the outside he looked unfazed. He pondered if he should be regretting his decision or not, but what the leader told him cleared his mind. “Life isn’t as simple as breathing, every choice you make, you must sacrifice something in return. If you had stayed, you would have sacrificed freedom, but since you chose to leave, you sacrificed perfection. I’ll leave it to you for whether or not you’ll accept us. Not a second later did Bones turn around and grab at Craniums sleeve. “Of course I’ll accept you all! There’s no way I’d pick existing an eternity over living a life. It doesn’t matter how short my life is, as long as its mine and nobody else’s I’m fine with it. I just want to be able to feel and know myself! Please accept me into this place. I want to belong!” Bones’ eyes told no lies, and his hands that quivered echoed the truth across his body. Cranium smiled, “looks like you’ll get along just fine with the others.”

Many years later, the village had begun to grow considerably and Bones had a wife and family. Every so often they would take a walk to the hills behind the village and visit Craniums grave. After a short pause, his wife would always ask him, “do you ever wonder what it would be like if we had never left that place, that ‘Utopia’ back there? How different do you think things would be?” And each time, Bones would also say the exact same thing, “Of course, but you know, it’s not like we can ever go back. All we can do is move forward and accept the future. Besides, didn’t you know? A utopia is well, a utopia just isn’t for some.” They both smiled.
i enjoyed reading the short story
your skills as a writer definetely are advanced

i might hold another writing competetion soon and you might want to enter
Get spoilers. if you don't know how to make them, go to the user cp guide. Otherwise, it's pretty good.