Traction or Friction?

So, i've been away for a week, but before I was away, I noticed a few people not understanding the difference between the two. I've been thinking about this during the week, and now know what I want to say.
It's going to be simple. I'll give definitions, explain what each does in beyblade, give an example, and write how each will affect each type.

So, Traction Definition

And, Friction Definition

In a super tiny nutshell, they both have to do with each other, but what sets them apart is this:
Friction is resistance.
Traction is It's ability of motion.

Again, super tiny nutshell.

So, how about an example?
Metal Flat is the best example I can think of:

Metal has low Friction, allowing it to have significantly more stamina than a bottom such as f.
In Beyblade, more friction = less spin time

It is wide enough to grab onto the stadium and move like an attack bottom. (traction)
In Beyblade, wider surface area = faster movement.

High friction doesn't mean high traction. An example of this scenario is Rubber Sharp.

Now, what do we want for each type of Beyblade?

Attack
Here, we basically just want high traction. Traction will make it move fast. Rubber bottoms work best because of their high traction, which results in more speed. Surface area is a huge factor here. The more surface area, the faster the bottom is. R2F has a wider surface area than RF, and more traction, due to the star shape.
If you want stamina, but maintain attack power, pick a bottom with less friction. However, it is harder to maintain a flower pattern.

Defence
We simply want more friction. Rubber bottoms obviously are better than plastic ones. A little traction is okay, as shown here.

Stamina
This one is pretty obvious. We don't want either. Higher friction has lower spin times. Higher traction won't assist stamina at all, so it's best to just stay with low traction.

Simple Smile
Anything I missed?
Heck, I could even write a beywiki draft for this, if anyone above and beyond feels it is needed.

Two links provided by Kai-v:

http://worldbeyblade.org/Thread-Physics?...#pid232205
http://worldbeyblade.org/Thread-Physics?...#pid229485
Yes, definitely. Traction is needed for attack types, especially for a great Smash Attack. Tips like RF and R2F do well with it. Including that they have a great friction rate is even better, making them Top-Tier! also I think that Defense does good without too much traction. Why? Because when hit, there might be too much friction and it might knock over. Stamina, I think it needs a little more traction, so that it can maintain the ground in the middle of the stadium to avoid being hit hard with a sliding shot. Friction is not needed, but a little could help.

Great Thread!
This actually explained a lot to me and a few of my own customizations in the old Beyblade. At least I know what I should be looking for now. Thanks a lot, guy!
Thank you very much! Now I know what bottoms I will need for my combos.
Hm, this is exactly what we have always been saying. The definition of traction is "adhesive friction", so it is totally fine if we use friction for resistance, and friction for what makes certain things go forward, because that is the truth, it is correct in terms of physics to use that expression.

And all of this has already been written, if people would just read :

http://worldbeyblade.org/Thread-Physics?...#pid232205
http://worldbeyblade.org/Thread-Physics?...#pid229485

Tires make the car move forward because of friction, because of the resistance with the floor.
Ah, I knew about that topic, but it seems i missed those posts. Thank you Smile
I will read them over and also put a link in the OP

Edit: and are those ones in the "physics" topic going to eventually travel to beywiki?
(Mar. 12, 2011  4:29 AM)SSJfisherman Wrote: Edit: and are those ones in the "physics" topic going to eventually travel to beywiki?

They were supposed to, but we never really figured out how we were going to incorporate them into Beywiki to fit with the rest of the articles.
Good thread, but the information is so generalized to the point that many assumptions have to be made, the only reason I bring this up, because I have twice been quoted this thread by a random user trying to disprove one of my statements/combos(usually about RB to MB to CS) with this thread as their only source, which they end up being proven wrong with a video, because they failed to take into consideration the X to the X amount of other variables present, surface area, angular velocity, weight/mass etc...

All I'm saying, is that 13 yearolds getting there first physics lesson from the WBO, in this very generalized sense makes them think they are carping Physicists lol... and that because X is made of Y than it performs thus in any given situation over Z because it is made from W...

Overall great thread, very helpful to many i'd imagine... just venting a little...
Another way to remember the difference is Basketball shoes. They have extremely high traction but no friction. When your running and decided to cut away, the outsoles make traction so you get a boost of speed. However, if you have no traction, when you cut, you'll just slip and hurt yourself.
(Nov. 05, 2011  9:03 PM)Cookies^^ Wrote: Another way to remember the difference is Basketball shoes. They have extremely high traction but no friction. When your running and decided to cut away, the outsoles make traction so you get a boost of speed. However, if you have no traction, when you cut, you'll just slip and hurt yourself.

Uh, that doesn't actually work. And is counter to the entire discussion above.

The rubber soles of basketball shoes have a high coefficient of friction and give good traction (on a dry court).