The Smashing Pumpkins

Can't believe this thread doesn't exist yet.

Anyhow, seeing as how quite a few of us have been bitching about them lately I figured a thread would be appropriate.

I think this should start off a nice discussion:

http://www.smashingpumpkins.com/pages/ne...nformation

Interesting... Jimmy Chamberlin is my favorite drummer of all time so I think it's going to be very difficult to replace him, but I'm glad that Corgan and the crew have decided to find a new drummer. I was concerned for a minute when Jimmy announced he was leaving that the band would take a dramatic shift in sound similar to Adore-era Pumpkins, which wouldn't exactly be bad (especially since Adore is my favorite Pumpkins record), but I've always thought of them as a rock band. So... What do you guys think?
One of my favorite bands ever. Personally, I'm a fan of the pre-Adore album. That's not to say I don't like the post-Mellon Collie songs, but I don't like them as much as the stuff you can find on Gish, Siamese Dream, and Everybody's Favorite Double Album. I wish I could make music like them.

Jimmy's departure's gotten me a little upset, but I'm still unsure about what direction the Pumpkins (or rather, Billy) will go from here. Zeitgeist is the only album I don't own ('cuz I'm broke), and although I love Doomsday Clock and Superchrist, I can't say the same for stuff like GLOW. FOL has grown on me, though.
(Apr. 09, 2009  10:38 AM)Mr. Toto Wrote: One of my favorite bands ever. Personally, I'm a fan of the pre-Adore album. That's not to say I don't like the post-Mellon Collie songs, but I don't like them as much as the stuff you can find on Gish, Siamese Dream, and Everybody's Favorite Double Album. I wish I could make music like them.

Jimmy's departure's gotten me a little upset, but I'm still unsure about what direction the Pumpkins (or rather, Billy) will go from here. Zeitgeist is the only album I don't own ('cuz I'm broke), and although I love Doomsday Clock and Superchrist, I can't say the same for stuff like GLOW. FOL has grown on me, though.

You ever hear 'Song for a Son' by them? One of my favorites.

Anyway, I love (loved?) Smashing Pumpkins. I don't know what to expect from them in the future though ...
(Apr. 10, 2009  5:57 PM)Artie Wrote: I don't know what to expect from them in the future though ...

Same here. I have faith that Corgan can turn out some amazing stuff given his track record, but for now I'm remaining cautiously optimistic about new material from the band.

Mr. Toto Wrote:Jimmy's departure's gotten me a little upset, but I'm still unsure about what direction the Pumpkins (or rather, Billy) will go from here. Zeitgeist is the only album I don't own ('cuz I'm broke), and although I love Doomsday Clock and Superchrist, I can't say the same for stuff like GLOW. FOL has grown on me, though.

I don't really see how you can like FOL and not GLOW... They're pretty similar in style. lol But whatevs, to each their own I guess. And as much as everyone hates on Zeitgeist, it's probably the record I listen to the most. lmao But I think that's because it's much more hard rock oriented, and that's the style of music I like the most.
They do that one song in watchmen.The beginning of the end?I think it's called that.
(Apr. 11, 2009  6:22 AM)Blue Bear Wrote: They do that one song in watchmen.The beginning of the end?I think it's called that.

No, it's called "The Beginning is the End is the Beginning". Wink
my friend gave me zeitgeist to keep tonight

his loss
(Apr. 11, 2009  6:30 AM)Artie Wrote: my friend gave me zeitgeist to keep tonight

his loss

Niiiiice.
(Apr. 10, 2009  7:42 PM)Roan Wrote: I don't really see how you can like FOL and not GLOW... They're pretty similar in style. lol But whatevs, to each their own I guess.
I didn't say I necessarily liked FOL--the part after the endless chants of "C'mon and Feel Our Love" is rockin' though.

With GLOW, though, it's both the melody and the lyrics. The basis for GLOW is part of the Pastichio Medley off the Zero single, but Corgan changed the key it was in and the chorus is completely lackluster. His music isn't as inventive as before (though I love Superchrist). And the lyrics--I just can't get down behind them. Maybe it's a gut reaction, but I'm not loving it.

This isn't to say I don't like new Pumpkins--just not nearly as much. As for Song For A Son, it doesn't sound like the Smashing Pumpkins. It sounds more like Aerosmith than anything else.
Have you heard As Rome Burns? It rocks so hardcore.
i just heard it and it rocks

Not all new Pumpkins sucks. Some of it kicks hardcore carp. Also, I really like the stuff from Machina II.
http://www.smashingpumpkins.com/pages/bl...from-billy

This is kind of lengthy, but as it's coming from Billy himself it's definitely worth reading. Lots of stuff to speculate about in here!
(Apr. 22, 2009  10:32 PM)Mr. Toto Wrote: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ryYcyt8FPlg&fmt=18

no. no. No. NO. NO NO NO NO NO.

(Apr. 22, 2009  10:34 PM)Bey Brad Wrote: ^ ahahahaha

http://poponthepop.com/2009/04/tila-tequ...ly-corgan/

lol
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=12zGvbsB7yU

why do you do these things

1000 posts!!! AW YEAH
i actually don't see this as a big deal, for all we know tila tequila is a really cool person?
I don't know. Billy Corgan's attitude is what bugs me the most. He sings in his songs lyrics like "The world is a vampire," and then you see him rapping for Friday-night wrestling or read his twitter. He's not cool anymore, but it's good that he's happier.
LOL his twitter is hilarious
I'm blaming it all on Jimmy.

Jimmy left SP and Corgan and now Corgan's having a midlife crisis because he's lost his little drummer boy.

I wouldn't be surprised to see Corgan/SP on the next volume of "Punk Goes Crunk" after watching that absolutely horrible wrestling commercial.
I thought that Machina was Corgan's midlife crisis. ;]
Get out dude Machina was actually good. It's actually one of my favorite SP albums.
I actually like a lot of the songs on Machina (The Sacred and Profane/Glass and the Ghost Children/Heavy Metal Machine), but at the same time a lot of it seems ridiculously overdone. It's like the SP are playing the soundtrack for some dark cyberpunk movie. I don't even know if it's the songs themselves--musical experimentation is cool. But during that time period, Corgan had everyone walking around like they were straight out of The Matrix. What I like about old SP is that their music is easy to relate to, and the band knows who they are--they weren't trying to make an epic.

In retrospect, it was probably a fun thing for the band to do at the time--but it was just really different, and it came really suddenly. With Every Light sucks, though.
Yeah, With Every Light does suck, I agree. I really like all the other songs on the album though.

Anyway, I'm a complete sucker and I'll probably end up spending the $40 to get in on this:

http://www.smashingpumpkins.com/pages/ne...tion-model