The Destabalizing Attacker: MF L Drago 90WF

Yes, you are reading correctly. MF L Drago 90 WF, not MF Lightning L Drago 90WF. L Drago is a Wheel that was neglected almost immediately after it's release. I think perhaps this was too swift of a conclusion. Before I explain more, let me just cut to the chase and show you my results:

MF L Drago 90WF Testing
Attack Stadium
MF L Drago 90WF shot second
Beylauncher/Beylauncher-L

vs. MF Earth Aquario C145B
L Drago win percentage: 96% (24/25)

vs. MF Earth Aquario C145WB
L Drago win percentage: 88% (22/25, with 2 ties)

vs. MF Virgo C145WB
L Drago win percentage: 84% (21/25, with 1 tie)

At the start of the new year, I was playing around with L Drago for some reason, and happened to stumble upon this custom completely by chance. After spending countless hours testing it, I was still unable to define what exactly it was! It didn't fall into any of the conventional types most other Beyblades fall under. The one word I had in mind was "destabalize", and mid-way through January Hiro made this post:

(Jan. 15, 2010  1:02 AM)Hiro Ayami Wrote: Flame is a nice flat wheel, it's ability to get beneath the opponents combo is pretty good. I remember Brad playing around with a Flame 90SF after the Vancouver Tournament last August to try and make a destabilizing attacker, don't think that was ever followed up on.

"destabilizing attacker" is the perfect term for this Beyblade. I am unsure of how Flame 90SF turned out, and have not tested it myself, but what I do know is that MF L Drago 90WF, technically an Attack-type, has an almost 90% win percentage against three top-tier Defense customs.

For it's type, this is unheard of, but how it works is exactly what the name suggests: it destabilizes the opposing Beyblade with it's extremely low height in conjunction with WF. This is easy to accomplish for MF L Drago 90WF because of it's height, but mostly due in part to the C145 Track which is surprisingly easy to knock off balance. If this same thing applies to GB145, ED145, etc, I do not know. If someone could test this, I would appreciate it.

Outspin is the most often method of winning you will experience using this custom, and usually by a very small margin. Ideally, you will shoot with a perfect Sliding Shoot, thus knocking the opposing Beyblade off balance immediately, which results in it swirling around the stadium on an extremely steep angle where it slowly works its way towards the middle where MF L Drago 90WF has settled. Even if you screw up and end up circling the stadium, you will still have a great chance at victory if your shot was strong enough.

I did notice that it did happen to KO and just generally knock-around MF Virgo C145WB much more than the Earth customs, though this is not reflected in the results of my 25 test battles.

Now, does it have a weakness? Yes, and a glaring one at that. Replace WB with WD on any of the above Defense customs, and L Drago's win percentage drops dramatically. I didn't record any tests for this, but believe me, it's win percentage is almost zero. This is obviously because of WD's increased Stamina over B or WB. The Battles are extremely close, but the WD custom almost always pulls through.

How does it fair against Stamina customs? Not so good either for the most part ...

vs. Virgo DF145SD
L Drago win percentage: 68% (17/25, with 1 tie)

vs. Earth Gemios DF145SD
L Drago win percentage: 20% (2/10, with 2 ties)

vs. Earth Gemios DF145WD
L Drago win percentage: 53% (7/15, with 2 ties)

vs. Flame Gemios DF145SD
L Drago win percentage: 90% (9/10)

L Drago has more recoil when facing Virgo, which results in more KOs on L Drago's part. The difference between SD and WD is clearly illustrated with those next two results. And against the Flame custom is does as Attack-types should, but mostly because Flame is so thin and is easy to knock around.

Could F be used with this instead of WF and achieve similar results? Probably; it would of course have more Stamina that way, but with WF already good enough to get the job done, I see no reason to sacrifice movement speed for Stamina.

Using a Metal Face was a personal choice. The increased spin velocity at the start might help increase the likelihood of a KO, or at least, increase the power of it's hits early on in the battle. Like WF, I see no reason not to include it for these reasons when it is still able to consistently beat it while using it.

Clearly, this is a very niche custom, one that could become obsolete very easily, and might already be if Tracks like GB145 and ED145 can counter it's "destabilizing" strategy, but I figured it would be best to post it now in case something displaces C145 soon.
It's so cool to be seeing parts neglected find some use. Another custom I need to test.
So does this combo have higher Stamina than most attackers? It was noted that battles with a WD beyblade are extremely close, and WD has fairly high Stamina.
(Feb. 17, 2010  6:05 AM)firelord767 Wrote: So does this combo have higher Stamina than most attackers? It was noted that battles with a WD beyblade are extremely close, and WD has fairly high Stamina.

Well ... yes, because most Attackers use RF right now.

The battles with WD are extremely close because it is still being knocked off balance due to its use of C145. It is just able to retain it's spin slightly better than WB. Well, I shouldn't say because it is using C145; it hits the Wheel most of the time, but eventually C145 starts scraping against the stadium floor towards the end of battles due to the angle it is spinning on. That is what helps L Drago win so consistently.
Oh, all right. Thank you!
What a fantastic idea, haha. Will give this a go for sure.
That combo sounds so sick. It's too bad the pre-hybrids aren't getting released, would love to try this out. Plus it's really cool to see such a sick looking wheel like L-Drago get some use.
Man i'm totally getting quetz and l drago soon due to this.
Ahaha I helped name it?

Glad to know an unexplored concept got some interesting results. Things like this are exactly what the MFB Competitive Meta is lacking, so long as someone doesn't discover the new "zombie" custom we're all set.

Yay my extra 90 Track and WF will get a bit of use, definitely a high testing priority now.
(Feb. 20, 2010  10:23 AM)Hiro Ayami Wrote: Ahaha I helped name it?

Glad to know an unexplored concept got some interesting results. Things like this are exactly what the MFB Competitive Meta is lacking, so long as someone doesn't discover the new "zombie" custom we're all set.

Yay my extra 90 Track and WF will get a bit of use, definitely a high testing priority now.

Well, if the infomation we got about the new system that spins in both directions is correct, there's bound to be a "zombie" custom coming our way.
(Feb. 20, 2010  10:31 AM)フェルグラント Wrote: Well, if the infomation we got about the new system that spins in both directions is correct, there's bound to be a "zombie" custom coming our way.
From what we know only Gravity Perseus can spin both ways, not all of the new Beyblades ... Why are people making this assumption based on BB-80.
Statements do not work that way. We got no information like this, so the whole sentence is incorrect after that ...
Sorry to necro bump, but has this been tested with XF? Or does that bottom reduce it's ability to out spin?
This really is an interesting type of beyblade.
XF hasn't even been released yet.
(Mar. 12, 2010  2:01 AM)Khel Wrote: XF hasn't even been released yet.

Disregard, then.
Sorry. I forgot Anubis run starts in April.
(Feb. 17, 2010  5:53 AM)Kei Wrote: If this same thing applies to GB145, ED145, etc, I do not know. If someone could test this, I would appreciate it.

Tested this a bit with against MF Earth Aquario ED145WB. The tests were by no means comprehensive, but the concept of this custom seems to work well against it as well.
I bought a LDrago today so I can finally play with this combo.
I did some tests on MF LDrago 90WF and MF LDrago 100WF,
MF LDrago: my results are similar to Kei's, getting a 88% winning percentage using MF LDrago 90WF batlling against MF Earth Aquario ED145WB
but I even get some suprising results on MF LDrago 100WF, having 96% winning percentage against all top-tier stamina combos, and a result of 92% winning percentage batlling against MF Earth Aquario ED145WB,
may work the same as Storm Pegasis
Anyone who has LDrago may try this combo: MF LDrago 100WF
Are the only WF's available come only with the NDS bundles? Is so, this is gonna be a costly combo...
(May. 23, 2010  1:14 PM)Sakota Wrote: Are the only WF's available come only with the NDS bundles? Is so, this is gonna be a costly combo...

Also from pre-HWS boosters, 1/8 chance to get a part of Quezalcoatl that means have a 1/24 chance to get WF...
I didn't have a 90 track, so I tried this with 100.

MF LDrago 100WF v. MF Earth Bull GB145WB
1 (10%) - 7 (70%)

MFB Attack Stadium
TT Beylauncher L and Hasbro String Launcher used respectively.
Earth Bull launched first at 80% power.
LDrago launched with banking.

1 Double KO
1 Double Spin Out

I had a hard time getting the banking pattern to stick. Also, as a side note, Earth Bull barely won most of the times. It usually had a second or two of extra spin. Perhaps this combo really does need a 90?
Well since its destabilizing then I guess it's vital to have an even lower track than 100, but this is just speculation of course. Maybe Kei has just mastered WF and knows how to use it well.
No, it's just that it seems this combo doesn't work against GB145, only against C145 and ED145.
I would never be able to get this combo to work due to WF's attack pattern. It's too hard for me to get it to flower.
MF Earth Bull GB145WB (Mold II) vs MF L Drago 90WF
(4/20) 20% - 80% (16/20)
Detailed Results (Click to View)

Burn Bull DF145SD vs MF L Drago 90WF
(5/20) 25% - 75% (15/20)

Earth Bull DF145SD (Mold II) vs MF L Drago 90WF
(11/20) 55% - 45% (9/20)
MF L Drago 90WF requires prolonged contact when it is not circling the Stadium aggressively, to win by outspin. Evidently, it wasn't able to do that due to the nature of SD.