The Classics Thread - When Saturday mornings had meaning

I live in a boarding house in lower Manhattan so every time I make mental complaints about the condition of the bathrooms, I immediately reference complaints made by the boarding house members in "Hey Arnold!"
1. All I can say is have some respect for people who graduated High School without Wikipedia or Google. You kids have it easy...

2. What's all this talk about anime on Saturday mornings? Growing up, the only anime available was Voltus V. Even then, it was not aired. I had to physically go outside and rent the video to be played back in my BETA video player.
Yeah, I wasn't even intending stuff like Dragon Ball Z. Hell, I wasn't even thinking of just Saturdays, I was more towards stuff like classic cartoons like The Mask and Beast Wars.

Oh Beast Wars...I remember when I used to collect you like crazy...
(Nov. 24, 2011  9:26 AM)Uwik Wrote: 1. All I can say is have some respect for people who graduated High School without Wikipedia or Google. You kids have it easy...

2. What's all this talk about anime on Saturday mornings? Growing up, the only anime available was Voltus V. Even then, it was not aired. I had to physically go outside and rent the video to be played back in my BETA video player.
BETA? You mean you didn't buy a VHS player?
BETA was a hit, VHS came later when I was in high school.
Oh, I did not know the timeline, only that there was the war between BETA and VHS and why VHS won...
Did somebody say VHS? Gasp

I have the Hey Arnold movie on VHS Tongue_out Hey Arnold was awesome.
I envy you guys...
In India, we never had any good weekly show airing quite often. Beyblade Metal Masters has become weekly for us now, though. Smile
I still recall watching Hey Arnold Video CDs though(just a few of them)... I do not remember much about it now, but I can say that it was better than Simpsons IMO... Smile
geting up to watch cartoons on the weekends was the whole point of living it made the fact that you had to go to school all week suck a little less. I remember turning on fox and watching the saturday line up of super hero shows like the x-men and spiderman then once in a while I would turn it to usa and there would be cartoons like street fighter, mortal kombat and double dragon. I just couldn't get enough of that cartoon violence and butt whoopings, it was like some sort of high octane rock'n'roll dream.
her is a list of my favorites:
(Nov. 27, 2011  9:39 PM)TENKAGE Wrote: geting up to watch cartoons on the weekends was the whole point of living it made the fact that you had to go to school all week suck a little less. I remember turning on fox and watching the saturday line up of super hero shows like the x-men and spiderman then once in a while I would turn it to usa and there would be cartoons like street fighter, mortal kombat and double dragon. I just couldn't get enough of that cartoon violence and butt whoopings, it was like some sort of high octane rock'n'roll dream.

HELL TO THE carp YEAH! DOUBLE DRAGON!!

I remember when I was a kid, I used to love that show. The main highlight for me was when the blue guy (reminds me of Ryu while the red guy reminded me of Ken lol) was brainwashed and turned bad, and it went on for episodes.
Here are my favorites from that wonderful yet long past era, broken down into networks and time blocks.

Kid's WB: Original Pokemon (RBY, GS, Orange Islands), Cubix (ugh that Gamecube was terrible), Men in Black, Jackie Chan Adventures

Normal Cartoon Network Block: Dexter's Lab, Johnny Bravo, Looney Tunes (classic, not that new stuff they push out now)

Toonami Block (RIP Tom): Samurai Jack, Dragonball Z, Rurouni Kenshin, some more Samurai Jack (okay, mainly Samurai Jack)

Other: Space Ghost Coast to Coast (<3 <3 <3)

---

Sad how Symbionic Titan never really had the same magic that Samurai Jack has (and it's obvious maturity) (also it got canceled).

Star Wars: The Clone Wars is a pretty good cartoon/CG animation for the current day. I like the "moral messages" in the beginning and the end of each episode. Too bad I no longer have cable.

edit: add Wacky Races and a lot of other things on Boomerang (i didn't like the jetsons, though)
Y u no Medabots? That show was the best! I watched Medabots, Bakuten Shoot Beyblade and Pokemon every day in second grade. (I watched reruns of Pokemon during the weekdays). I actually woke up at 5 AM (no joke) every day to see the shows. Those were my childhood lol.
(Nov. 28, 2011  9:32 PM)GaHooleone Wrote: Y u no Medabots? That show was the best!

Totally forgot about Medabots (maybe it was because it was on Fox Kids and that block died out rather quickly as compared to all the other network's equivalent blocks). First robot show I ever got into. (i never really liked the gundam anime)

Need to watch the Medabots Damashii/Spirits series; kinda bummed how none of the old cast shows up (and for no particular reason) besides from Ikki and Metabee.

Robo Emperor. <3
I was so depressed when I heard Mr. Referee wasn't going to appear in Damashii. He made that show. Lol, but seriously I loved how the anime even poked fun at the referee's ability to appear anywhere when they opened the WRC in the show.

bugturtles, To would be very disappointed that you forgot Medabots. Robo Emperor is overkill lol. And don't even get me started on Giganko...
Does anyone remember Bill Nye the Science Guy? It makes failing science and struggling with science a joke. I remember in middle school, when I would fail every single science assignment/homework etc and watching Bill Nye just gave me back my confidence! But sadly, it was the end of middle school and it was too late so, I've been saving it up for this year! Now I'm doing awesome in science and pretty much every course, but this is the classics topic, not the school subjects thread haha. So anyways, Bill Nye the Science guy was awesome and it makes Disney facepalming themselves because of their biggest mistake when they aired Hannah Montana.
(Nov. 28, 2011  11:35 PM)bugturtles Wrote:
(Nov. 28, 2011  9:32 PM)GaHooleone Wrote: Y u no Medabots? That show was the best!

Totally forgot about Medabots (maybe it was because it was on Fox Kids and that block died out rather quickly as compared to all the other network's equivalent blocks). First robot show I ever got into. (i never really liked the gundam anime)

Need to watch the Medabots Damashii/Spirits series; kinda bummed how none of the old cast shows up (and for no particular reason) besides from Ikki and Metabee.

Robo Emperor. <3

Damashii is terrible. Don't bother with it.
for me i would wake up 98 to 99% of the time at 3 35 sharp to watch re uns of shows i missed, wanted to see again, ect. but for me, i loved gundam sd (other than the cheesiness and that darn kids voice hate him and pretty much all the voice actors) and one other gundam medabots tf armada medabots and all sorts of good shows like the original pokemon beyblade and megaman nt warrior digimon sabans power rangers (curse Disney for practically KILLING PR) oh the nostalgia
Nobody has Ultimate Muscle or Fighting Foodons in here? Those shows were awesome. Used to watch so many good shows back then, now I don't even bother watching tv at all.
TBH, I wasn't interested in those two.

I DLed Batman Beyond: Return of the Joker, as well as the Batman: Sub-Zero movie, on my 360. Siiigh...such a throwback...
(Dec. 10, 2011  7:33 AM)DBFiction Wrote: Nobody has Ultimate Muscle or Fighting Foodons in here? Those shows were awesome. Used to watch so many good shows back then, now I don't even bother watching tv at all.
fighting f-MAN that show was weird but it also made me hungry ALOT!

Anyone remember Cartoon Cartoon Fridays and the cartoon hosts? MAN that was sweet I was hoping some new hosts would appear. If ya don't know what im talking about its this when eustice and muriel hosted there was a waiting list of toons to host CCF and I remember seeing goku on that list.
(Dec. 10, 2011  7:33 AM)DBFiction Wrote: Nobody has Ultimate Muscle or Fighting Foodons in here? Those shows were awesome. Used to watch so many good shows back then, now I don't even bother watching tv at all.

if i remember right they were on fox block which as we know was canceled pretty quickly and i only watched medabots to my memory

I remember it, I just did not like it as much as some other people would have. Only saw a few episodes. I remember Shaman King as well, but I didn't follow that intensely either.

(Dec. 10, 2011  8:15 AM)Kaji Motomiya Wrote: I DLed Batman Beyond: Return of the Joker, as well as the Batman: Sub-Zero movie, on my 360. Siiigh...such a throwback...

Batman Beyond was so good. You have to watch the episode "Epilogue" of Justice League to get Batman Beyond's "real ending".

Batman Beyond also had other crossovers with the Justice League animated series, episodes include "The Once and Future Thing, Part 1: Weird Western Tales" and "The Once and Future Thing, Part 2: Time, Warped".
I did, actually. Justice League is what also got me into DC Animated. Of course, I also DLed the first season of the first series in my 360 (need more points for the second season lol). I remember Batman Beyond did something with Static Shock (titled Future Shock, I think), which I might add is also one of my most favorite cartoons of the time.

I especially liked the episode when Richie's dad was pretty damn racist until the end of the eps.