Shut Up, New York is Amazing

Psssh. New York can so host tournaments.

[Image: DSCN0172.jpg]

We even got this guy to show up. But I guess you guys want to know how, right? Or maybe why I was gone? Wait, wait, everyone might be curious but Brad. Brad doesn't care enough about New York.

Anyway, so about that Brooklyn tournament. You checked the weather for the day of the tournament, but did you check it for the day I canceled the topic? I have to leave a day before because trains only run three times a day (at the worst hours), but Evan already knew that. He knows Long Island sucks worse than Wyborg. He also knows that I lived in a town that's not far from the water. The day before it poured. It's a mile to the train station and I'd have to walk in a flood zone. It wasn't going to happen. I checked the weather on my brother's iPhone. It said it was going to rain the following day as well.

After getting called out for all of that, I decided to focus my attention to getting the hell out of my town, getting a life (because let's face it, I had none), and proving the notion of "New Yorkers won't Beyblade" wrong. I did. Hi, I'm Dani, and I live in the Bronx. Cye and I live only 15 minutes away from each other. In fact, I work very close to central park, and I'm only a 5 minute subway ride from Union Square. This. Changes. Everything.

As soon as I had time off on a weekend, I called for a tournament. Sunday on Columbus Day weekend. It was perfect, a three day weekend. That means it's not long enough for a go away vacation, but just enough for college kids to visit home for the weekend. Anyone who has to travel long distances would be able to because they had the following day off from school (Federal Holiday).

I start calling up my friends and they all said they'd come. I told Redcom001 (Guy in the plaid jacket) that if he wanted to, he could try looking people up on the WBO and invite them. Turns out none of them showed anyway. All of my friends slept in, too.

However, the man of the hour, Josh, the one we all thought would never show his face, came. I got Josh to come to a tournament. EAT THAT, WBO. We even went out to a nice dinner together.

You guys remember Keyblader007? Apparently, Redcom001 had his phone number. His excuse was he couldn't come to the tournament because he was doing homework. He has been saying this since Spring. How long does it take the average student to do homework? So we youtubed a response to it. I won't link it because it's not exactly PG. You guys are resourceful, you'll find it.

We only had six people show. I already knew this was going to happen. I made the tournament in Union Square and brought my entire collection of plastics with me. See that huge box? That had about 200 plastics in it filled to the brim. I was selling them to kids who wanted to play. We had six other people participate. Twelve wasn't bad since it was very disorganized. I had to constantly rearrange the brackets to accomidate players. We used wild cards (the little kids kept getting back in lol)

While doing this, I compiled a mailing/contact list of all those who tried to play. Now I have an idea of how to get bladers.

Basically, I'm not done yet. I hate being wrong. I'm going to make a fool proof method (because I was able to get Josh to a tournament so I MUST be capable of a fool proof tournament) to make New York the best blader community just because I'm incredibly spiteful.

Conclusions:
  • If the old school bladers aren't willing to play, find new bladers that will.
  • Metal Fight Beyblades aren't as competitive as plastics. We all saw it, we all agreed. I'm keeping New York's standard to plastic and HMS for those that share interest.
  • If 6/18 people show, then I'll just get a Beyblader base of over 100 so I can get tournaments with attendance exceeding that of Beyblade War Room.
  • We need to have one day a week/month to set up at the same location with a focus specifically on gaining interest.

Goals:
  • Build a website specifically for NY/NJ. I'll use business cards and flyers to promote it.
  • Hold frequent free battles in Union Square. Everyone who goes to Union Square attends regularly. If they see us enough, they'll want in.
  • Host tournaments indoors. After I build a hype using Union Square and a mailing list, I can hold tournaments in places like church basements. It's an area where everyone can feel safe and non profit organizations are usually willing to rent out sections of their buildings to cover their own upkeep.
  • Have stores carry Beyblades. I already have one guy in Coney Island who will carry MFB. He has the ability to order directly from Takara-Tomy.
  • Create our own battle system. New Yorkers have lives outside of the computer. We're going to need a tangible ranking system.
As I figure out what works, I'll share. The WBO is a great idea, however, I don't think any Blader who wants to revive Beyblade should wait around for Beyblade Metal Fusion. Those who want competition need to create competition.

To all New Yorkers: let's turn this into a regular Sunday get together. Since everyone likes to sleep in, 1pm at the Washington statue should probably suffice. If you show up with a stadium and a few Beyblades, you're going to get people to play with you. I'll be there this Sunday (October 18th).

Note: if we exceed 20 people, we need a park permit. FYI

Oh, and Josh and I decided that I look like a chipmunk and my roots are showing. Uncertain I need a haircut. Unhappy

Cye won btw. What a beast~
It was really fun. I didn't expect us to get so much attention. A lot of people expressed interest in coming to future events. The best part were the two kids: Jenn and Zachary. Zachary was so excited, and Jenn even called a friend to let her know that she was currently playing beyblade. I told their parents about worldbeyblade.org so that they could probably be active in helping their kids learn how to play. One thing though, I don't agree with keeping everything just plastics/HMS. It makes sense since those parts are more common, but I think the goal should be MFB oriented. I mean, MFB is the current standard metagame. I guess plastic/HMS can continue until MFB launches in North America but after that there really is no excuse.

Sidenote: Thanks Meros for the Storm Pegasus.
Deikailo, good job. 6 people is still a good job for promotion by yourself. We'll talk more on AIM.
(Oct. 14, 2009  4:46 AM)Cye Kinomiya Wrote: It was really fun. I didn't expect us to get so much attention. A lot of people expressed interest in coming to future events. The best part were the two kids: Jenn and Zachary. Zachary was so excited, and Jenn even called a friend to let her know that she was currently playing beyblade. I told their parents about worldbeyblade.org so that they could probably be active in helping their kids learn how to play. One thing though, I don't agree with keeping everything just plastics/HMS. It makes sense since those parts are more common, but I think the goal should be MFB oriented. I mean, MFB is the current standard metagame. I guess plastic/HMS can continue until MFB launches in North America but after that there really is no excuse.

Sidenote: Thanks Mirios for the Storm Pegasus.
Obviously I can't expect to outsell Hasbro. The reason I want to keep it at plastics is mostly because of the Libra and Virgo wheel dominating basically everything. I just wish there was more of a variety.

Another reason for plastics is you noticed how the older kids made comments like "oh I remember" or "Hey, I used to play that" and jumped right in as soon as we invited them? That's a great tactic to draw them in. I'm, of course, going to tell them about MFB (that was the point in having my MFB collection with me) but I think it's best if we switch to something with a large range of parts and something that's already familiar to them for now.

Grats on winning, man. You were awesome. Way to beat Bluezee this time!

(Oct. 14, 2009  5:00 AM)fragbait Wrote: Deikailo, good job. 6 people is still a good job for promotion by yourself. We'll talk more on AIM.
By myself? Hell, I had Cye, Bluezee, Meros, and Josh all assisting the new bladers, too. I wasn't alone in this whatsoever. It starts with six, ends in the three digits. That's what I expect before Beyblade Metal Fusion hits. I want over 100 New York bladers.
(Oct. 14, 2009  5:00 AM)Deikailo Wrote: By myself? Hell, I had Cye, Bluezee, Meros, and Josh all assisting the new bladers, too. I wasn't alone in this whatsoever. It starts with six, ends in the three digits. That's what I expect before Beyblade Metal Fusion hits. I want over 100 New York bladers.

I stand corrected. Grats to all the participants
dani this really isn't going to redeem yourself for what you did
also i thought you were banned
(Oct. 14, 2009  5:06 AM)AnnieDuck Wrote: dani this really isn't going to redeem yourself for what you did
I don't care about your approval or anyone else's. I just want to Beyblade. If I can show you how to get bladers, then Beyblades will be bought. If Beyblades are bought, that brings funding to Takara-Tomy. If Takara-Tomy has funding, Beyblade stays in business. If Beyblade stays in business, I have competition.

I learned from the past event. If I can grow from that, that's all that matters.

Man, what ever happened to a positive attitude?
man, whatever happened to apologizing for seriously screwing over the community and showing some basic human regret and respect
(Oct. 14, 2009  5:13 AM)AnnieDuck Wrote: man, whatever happened to apologizing for seriously screwing over the community and showing some basic human regret and respect
What community?

Quote:Definites:
Maz
Bladebee
Anubis
Deikailo
DJspida5
Ryuki Ivanov
Driger King

That was the list of attendees for the last tournament. The only two people who didn't know about this tournament that were on that list were Bladebee and Anubis. Everyone else knew.

In fact, the maximum amount Evan ever had in a tournament he has hosted was 9. I had 12 in this one. Not only that, no one was dragged into it. They were all willing to play to Beyblade, not just for the host. You all agreed prior to my Brooklyn tournament that the New York community sucks. You and Brad even told me that at BWR. So can you explain to me how I was screwing over a community that was already practically nonexistent?

Annie, answer me this: even if I was to feel remorseful for what had happened, would you prefer a formal "I'm sorry, it'll never happen again" apology with absolutely nothing to back it up with or would you like me to show you that this isn't going to happen again? Or would you simply like me to not bring to you an amazing community because you hold a vendetta against me?

I don't want to promote something that has people who will jump down a user's throat for falling down. I'd rather be a part of something that will offer a chance to better themselves and their skills.

Although, if you want me to spell out the entire scenario of that last event, feel free to PM me. Until you know both sides, please don't take one.
(Oct. 14, 2009  4:05 AM)Deikailo Wrote: The WBO is a great idea, however, I don't think any Blader who wants to revive Beyblade should wait around for Beyblade Metal Fusion. Those who want competition need to create competition.
I do not like this sentence. How is that not exactly what we do already ? And the Internet is the best way to get people together, in my opinion.
(Oct. 14, 2009  11:26 AM)Kai-V Wrote: I do not like this sentence. How is that not exactly what we do already ? And the Internet is the best way to get people together, in my opinion.
The WBO generally gets bladers from a google search or one a rare occasion, a friend. In essence, they come to the WBO, when I think the WBO could have a higher user count if you guys went to them.

That's what we did in Union Square. We started playing in a spot where everyone could see us, made a lot of noise, and so we attracted people. Most people would just stare and wait for an invite. When we invited them in, a lot of them showed interest in future events.

Although the aim was a tournament, it was more to create new players, not just to recycle old ones.
lol "mostly plastics"

have fun in 2003!

Quote:Metal Fight Beyblades aren't as competitive as plastics. We all saw it, we all agreed. I'm keeping New York's standard to plastic and HMS for those that share interest.

hahahaha this is so untrue
It's absolutely great you've got precise goals and targets and you're so proactive about this, but why the aggression? So much of that undermined your apparent sincerity to get this to work ...

"I'm going to make a fool proof method [...] to make New York the best blader community just because I'm incredibly spiteful."

vs

"I don't care about your approval or anyone else's. I just want to Beyblade."

Clearly I don't want to get personal, since I don't know you or anything, it's just you've become so scathing against the community, perhaps undeservedly. The New Yorkers still deserved an apology despite everything; I can't think of any reasons which would be contrary to this.
(Oct. 14, 2009  2:39 PM)♥ Wrote: It's absolutely great you've got precise goals and targets and you're so proactive about this, but why the aggression? So much of that undermined your apparent sincerity to get this to work ...

"I'm going to make a fool proof method [...] to make New York the best blader community just because I'm incredibly spiteful."

vs

"I don't care about your approval or anyone else's. I just want to Beyblade."

Clearly I don't want to get personal, since I don't know you or anything, it's just you've become so scathing against the community, perhaps undeservedly. The New Yorkers still deserved an apology despite everything; I can't think of any reasons which would be contrary to this.
You do realize that when I asked the New Yorkers what they thought of the WBO, Cye was the only one without anything negative to say, right? No one feels welcome here. If you don't believe that, look at some of the posts all ready. Not all of them are positive or helpful criticize. Some are just taunts or downers. It shouldn't be that way.
That was a fun day lol.Im happy NY finally had a tournament,can't wait to see whats next.

sn: No problem Cye
(Oct. 14, 2009  3:11 PM)Meros Wrote: That was a fun day lol.Im happy NY finally had a tournament,can't wait to see whats next.

sn: No problem Cye
We're doing this again Sunday. Cye and Shaun said they'd be there. You comin'? I wanna see the rematch! Wink
Yeah ill be there i make it a awesome rematch lol
(Oct. 14, 2009  2:45 PM)Deikailo Wrote: You do realize that when I asked the New Yorkers what they thought of the WBO, Cye was the only one without anything negative to say, right? No one feels welcome here. If you don't believe that, look at some of the posts all ready. Not all of them are positive or helpful criticize. Some are just taunts or downers. It shouldn't be that way.

hmm yes that's definitely the WBO's fault
also i don't see why this is in wbo general when the gist of it is "screw you wbo we're seceding"

anyway i really can't take the time to explain why this is unrealistic, unreasonable, and an overall mess, but hopefully someone else will
(Oct. 14, 2009  3:19 PM)Bey Brad Wrote: hmm yes that's definitely the WBO's fault
also i don't see why this is in wbo general when the gist of it is "screw you wbo we're seceding"

anyway i really can't take the time to explain why this is unrealistic, unreasonable, and an overall mess, but hopefully someone else will
I agree with the WBO General comment. I thought it felt kinda...off...when I posted it. I mean, would it really fit in Beyblade general?

lol the Yankees are seceding this time...hahaha at Union Square.

But I mean, I don't think that would be our overall goal. We just want to show you that there are more ways than one for promoting Beyblade.
i never saw the wbo's goal as promoting beyblade as much as giving an outlet for people who already enjoy beyblade. recruiting new players was always nice but i mean, it's takara-tomy and hasbro's job to promote beyblade, not the wbo's
(Oct. 14, 2009  4:01 PM)Bey Brad Wrote: i never saw the wbo's goal as promoting beyblade as much as giving an outlet for people who already enjoy beyblade. recruiting new players was always nice but i mean, it's takara-tomy and hasbro's job to promote beyblade, not the wbo's
Why can't we make it a WBO priority? If we can get more users, we can keep Beyblading. A growing problem is when a Beyblader loses interest, primarily from a lack of Beybladers in their area. If we can give them a way to hook more people into it, we can keep Beyblade alive for that much longer.

MEGA hired you because they saw you knew what you were talking about when critiquing a blade, right? Maybe another company will see us as valuable to promoting their product when they see that we're already good at promoting Beyblade.

That's really the point of the thread (at heart). I want to use New York as a pilot for developing a system of roping in new bladers. After the New York/New Jersey community has successfully practiced a fool proof method, we'll share it, and help you adapt it to everyone else's community.

Going back to what I said "I just want to Beyblade". If we can show the world that we still want it, they'll keep it in business. It all has to start somewhere.
um yes it does start somewhere

fall 2010
Alright, so I guess I have to respond to this thread. It would be odd of the director of Organized play just sat on his laurels without giving his two cents.

As Brad has stipulated the primary goal for the WBO is to be an outlet for bladers to gather. While drawing new bladers is always nice, it's not been our primary goal. It is an offshoot of our activities. If members truly feel motivated to bring some that's great I would never say no. However it doesn't make sense for the whole organization to make it the mission statement. Takara Tomy and soon Hasbro are responsible for doing so, they pay people for jobs like this.

However we do attempt this from time to time in events where it is feasible. Events at conventions like AN, MCM are geared towards getting new people interested. However we only attempt this in areas where we feel that results can be achieved.

This is the World Beyblade Organization, and we want to help players from all over the world congregate and discuss the game. The only way to effectively do so is to have a standard set of procedures to which you can apply to everyone. Tournament rules/setups are pretty clearly set up and are quite flexible. While I personally push MFB we still keep and will keep the Open format for our members to use. Event proposals have been implemented in the forums to try and reduce the number of "no-shows". and the ranking system "beypoints" is about as tangible as can be done (Yes I know it's still in the works guys; sorry about that)

I've personally don't have a vendetta or a grudge against the New York Community. There has been string of bad luck hosting tourneys in the area, and that has left a negative impression on many people. I just believe that building a website for New York Bladers only can potentially fragment the community more. But hey if it's your prerogative then go ahead. I'm not going to comment much on the amount of people you intend to gather since I've only been to NYC once in my life. It just feels a tad overambitious.

The process of getting indoor space seems like a costly endeavor. If NPO's want to rent out their space to cover their upkeep I doubt that it will be cheap. You probably will need to fork over a solid amount of cash from your own pocket.

The area that confuses me quite a bit in your post is your proposition for a more tangible ranking system. Most ranking system are intangible, it's hard to make it a physical object without oversimplifying it. Yes you can have a trophy for 1st, 2nd and 3rd place, but you can't have it for 100 people. Too cost prohibitive and inefficient. A ranking system based on recording wins and losses seems like the most logical option. Winners from tournaments all over the world will receive points (don't worry guys we are keeping track of them) and faces. Prizes are always an option to be purchased but are not mandatory to keep costs feasible. So really this point makes no sense to me.

In the end it's nice that you're happy with your actions to promote the game, but don't be surprised if you run into negativity from other members. Many of your propositions conflict with what we intend to accomplish as a whole site and your activities will be completely separate from WBO activities if you choose to pursue all of them.

I like your enthusiasm, but demonstrating one's spitefulness is usually a very ineffective way to gain support. It only ends up dividing the community even more and instigates juvenile arguments.
Awesome. On my lunch break so I can respond to this in full.

Quote:Wait, wait, everyone might be curious but Brad. Brad doesn't care enough about New York.

lol

Yes, because after investing the effort into assisting New York in organizing tournaments only to have them consistently perform under expectations because of people cancelling or simply not wanting to show up at all, I stopped focusing that effort on New York and directed it towards people who were actually willing to attend events.

That being said, I'm not a WBO employee anymore so no I don't really care.

Quote:Anyway, so about that Brooklyn tournament. You checked the weather for the day of the tournament, but did you check it for the day I canceled the topic? I have to leave a day before because trains only run three times a day (at the worst hours), but Evan already knew that. He knows Long Island sucks worse than Wyborg. He also knows that I lived in a town that's not far from the water. The day before it poured. It's a mile to the train station and I'd have to walk in a flood zone. It wasn't going to happen. I checked the weather on my brother's iPhone. It said it was going to rain the following day as well.

A lot of the anger about it is because you did not post an update in the topic. That is a huge deal. You should always post in the thread if you have to cancel an event. It's ridiculous that you did not.

Quote:I start calling up my friends and they all said they'd come. I told Redcom001 (Guy in the plaid jacket) that if he wanted to, he could try looking people up on the WBO and invite them.

could've tried posting a thread

Quote:How long does it take the average student to do homework? So we youtubed a response to it. I won't link it because it's not exactly PG. You guys are resourceful, you'll find it.

Very professional of you.

Quote:Metal Fight Beyblades aren't as competitive as plastics. We all saw it, we all agreed. I'm keeping New York's standard to plastic and HMS for those that share interest.

Maybe to unskilled players it seems this way. Plastic format is dominated by Zombies, but either you guys can't build them properly or are simply neglecting to use them. Plastic format is no more diverse than MFB. LibraC145WB, Virgo/Flame DF145D/B/SD/WD, RF combos with Storm, Quetz, Lightning, new parts from Flame Libra and Earth Aquila along with new reshuffles next month, CH120 re-release which is popular in a lot of new combos …

You don't know MFB if you sincerely think it is less competitive than plastics. At the tournament in BC, all sorts of varieties of MFB combos performed quite well.

Quote:If 6/18 people show, then I'll just get a Beyblader base of over 100 so I can get tournaments with attendance exceeding that of Beyblade War Room.

lol ok

Quote:Build a website specifically for NY/NJ. I'll use business cards and flyers to promote it.

Are you serious? It'll end the same way the pamphlets did at BWR; strewn everywhere. AN was way more our demographic than simply anyone in NY, you really think you will have better results with a less-focused group?

Quote:Create our own battle system. New Yorkers have lives outside of the computer. We're going to need a tangible ranking system.

What does "tangible ranking system" even mean? All scores are arbitrary numeric values, unless you're going to give people bottle caps or something.

Quote:As I figure out what works, I'll share. The WBO is a great idea, however, I don't think any Blader who wants to revive Beyblade should wait around for Beyblade Metal Fusion. Those who want competition need to create competition.

the wbo is a great idea, however, it sucks and here are all my ideas that are way better than dumb smelly wbo ones,

Quote:To all New Yorkers: let's turn this into a regular Sunday get together. Since everyone likes to sleep in, 1pm at the Washington statue should probably suffice. If you show up with a stadium and a few Beyblades, you're going to get people to play with you. I'll be there this Sunday (October 18th).

Doing it so frequently is going to burn everyone out. You've learned nothing from previous disasters.

By the way, your OP was an unfocused mess and half of it was a Livejournal post. Not the best way to make a serious post.

Quote:Man, what ever happened to a positive attitude?

lol:

Quote:Wait, wait, everyone might be curious but Brad. Brad doesn't care enough about New York.

This entire thread reeks of spite, so it's funny you'd accuse someone else of being negative.

Quote:If Beyblades are bought, that brings funding to Takara-Tomy. If Takara-Tomy has funding, Beyblade stays in business. If Beyblade stays in business, I have competition.

Yes, I'm sure this campaign will compare to TT and Hasbro's multi-million dollar marketing efforts.

Quote:What community?

The community that actually allowed you to meet these people. You know, the one built by hundreds of hours of hard work that you're now willing to ignore because you HAD AN IDEA~

Not just NY, but the WBO as a whole; this entire topic is one giant insult to everyone who has worked hard for the same things you are now acting like you are the patron saint of.

Quote:Annie, answer me this: even if I was to feel remorseful for what had happened, would you prefer a formal "I'm sorry, it'll never happen again" apology with absolutely nothing to back it up with or would you like me to show you that this isn't going to happen again?

How about both? You didn't apologize at all in the OP; in fact, you told most of us off for making judgements based on a consistent history of failures culminating in a colossal one.

Quote:You do realize that when I asked the New Yorkers what they thought of the WBO, Cye was the only one without anything negative to say, right? No one feels welcome here.

I'm not really concerned. Hell, Bluezee was banned from here because he owes our affiliate store like a thousand dollars or some ridiculous number and refuses to get in contact with Azuma over it. That being said, I don't expect any project of this scale to get 100% positive responses. They can't please everyone. However, everyone at the WBO has done an awesome job, so how about actually showing some appreciation instead of denigrating all of the hard work here? You don't think the WBO had some hand in the success of this event? Would you even know each other without it?

Quote:Not all of them are positive or helpful criticize. Some are just taunts or downers.

Much like the OP. The responses are reflecting your attitude.

Quote:Why can't we make it a WBO priority? If we can get more users, we can keep Beyblading. A growing problem is when a Beyblader loses interest, primarily from a lack of Beybladers in their area. If we can give them a way to hook more people into it, we can keep Beyblade alive for that much longer.

You mean … like what we're doing already? Organizing local events, providing rules and rankings for those events, and a map to make it easier to find users? How have we not already successfully done everything you want to do? Or are you ignoring that we've done it because you have a problem with the WBO?

Quote:MEGA hired you because they saw you knew what you were talking about when critiquing a blade, right? Maybe another company will see us as valuable to promoting their product when they see that we're already good at promoting Beyblade.

Not really, no. They hired me because I was able to successfully build a community of over 2000 people around a dead hobby, organized a large-scale fan-run marketing campaign, and events all over the world. My knowledge of Beyblade was just a bonus.

If Takara-Tomy had hired me, you might have a point. But neither them nor Hasbro will even speak to me.

As I'm writing this I saw Khel's response, and he pretty much says a lot of what I feel as well. This reminds me of when you wanted to actually start open Beyblade shops; it's sort of childish optimism and overall unfeasible. The people working on the WBO now are very professional and passionate about Beyblade. You are only the latter.

Sorry you're not happy, but it seems to me most people here are happy with the way things are being run. You've basically come here to tell us how much you dislike the WBO and how you can do so much better. So, do it already.
I think its a good idea, but if you want more people to go, don't slag the WBO off. If your saying that metal fight beyblade is 'inferior to plastics', you don't fully understand that they haven't been released in giant companies worldwide yet. Yes, you could argue that theintoy, ebay and other websites have got hold of them, but only as an import.

Overall, you should organise the beyblade tournements for NY in the future if you want, but don't blame others for not handing you them on a plate. Keyblader007 may not have even wanted to go if he had plans, so don't take out anger on him for not going