Should we be able to change our usernames whenever? (Elaborate!)

Poll: Should we be able to change our usernames

Should (on request) we be able to change whenever
41.67%
Should all users have to stick with a name until 30 days have passed
58.33%
Total: 100% 24 vote(s)
But then during the long period of time, if you grow to not like your username, too bad.

Also, when I changed my name from Ultramarine to Dual, it was anything but impulsive. I thought about it for awhile.

The whole "not knowing someone's identity" really isn't a big deal. Click on their username if you don't know who they are. If you want to be iconic and noticeable like Kai-V said, don't change your username.

Anyway, I still see the argument about processing and such as quite valid, so I really don't have much more to say on the matter, other than I like the unlimited change function, It'd be cool if the wait time was reduced, but I understand why it shouldn't be.
(Sep. 27, 2014  2:55 AM)~Emperor_Elite~ Wrote: 1 hour for is how long we shall wait

You should be thankful you can change your username at all. Some websites won't let you change it at all.
Generally, most tournaments are held once a month or twice a month. So, TBH the one month change is perfect.
(Sep. 27, 2014  3:49 AM)Dark_Mousy Wrote:
(Sep. 27, 2014  2:55 AM)~Emperor_Elite~ Wrote: 1 hour for is how long we shall wait

You should be thankful you can change your username at all. Some websites won't let you change it at all.

Last forums I was on, you had to request it.
I think you could only have 50 Requests and they didn't have to accept your request.
Changed mine 3 times, everyone got really mad Joyful_3
I personally will never change my username. Mainly because the moment I do i know someone would take it and impersonate me. Ive seen this happen all to many times.
TBH i dont think anyone would steal your username.Ive changed from master of evil To ~Emperor_Elite~ and no one has stole my username.
The situation is not the same with the "bigger personalities". That is the difference. You have not actually been 'master of evil' long enough for it to be associated only to you, but neither have you been ~Emperor_Elite~ long enough either for us to know that the two of you are the same person who have been there since master of evil. There is no other Dark_Mousy though, and if he has any enemies or whatever, it is true that they could want to impersonate him by taking that username, because if he had just changed his name, we would still be getting used for a while to that modification.

There is a real difference between 'established usernames' that are basically forever taken in the community, and 'use-by-all' names. If someone else uses master of evil as their username, it does not matter that much because you did not get known for it, whereas they might keep it for years and get a reputation with it. Even in several years, if I disappear and that someone else uses "Kai-V", anyone who will have been part of the community throughout those years will find it extremely weird to see this double personality for that same username.
Well spoken indeed......
It would be word for someone to try to impersonate you.
I don't like the way you said Dissapear…
(Sep. 26, 2014  11:14 PM)TheBlackDragon Wrote: For instance, Dual, when you changed your username from Aquamarine (which is what it was for most of the time I was here), it took me like a week to figure out it was you.

Impulsive username changes drive me nuts; I say, if you really want to change your name, think very hard about it, choose something you think that you'll stick with for a long time, and then put your old username as your user title for a couple of weeks to let everybody know that it's you (and, if you've been in a tournament that needs processing, shoot the committee a PM and give them a heads up so they can find you easier when the time comes).

I agree completely with what V said.

[/rant]

Tongue_out

You realise it's extremely simple to check previous usernames don't you?

And other than the committee tourney awards argument, all you've really said boils down to "username changing should be restricted because that's what I want".

(Sep. 27, 2014  3:49 AM)Dark_Mousy Wrote:

Wow, what an awful attitude.

"Forget user satisfaction, deal with it and be grateful that worse places exist"

Are you serious?

(Sep. 27, 2014  5:41 PM)Kai-V Wrote: The situation is not the same with the "bigger personalities". That is the difference. You have not actually been 'master of evil' long enough for it to be associated only to you, but neither have you been ~Emperor_Elite~ long enough either for us to know that the two of you are the same person who have been there since master of evil. There is no other Dark_Mousy though, and if he has any enemies or whatever, it is true that they could want to impersonate him by taking that username, because if he had just changed his name, we would still be getting used for a while to that modification.

There is a real difference between 'established usernames' that are basically forever taken in the community, and 'use-by-all' names. If someone else uses master of evil as their username, it does not matter that much because you did not get known for it, whereas they might keep it for years and get a reputation with it. Even in several years, if I disappear and that someone else uses "Kai-V", anyone who will have been part of the community throughout those years will find it extremely weird to see this double personality for that same username.

Kai-V, i STILL think that's a moot point.
As far as I can tell, I see a single point in your argument:

-> Other people could get confused, particularly if someone reputable changes their name.

I really think that's a pretty poor reason to restrict everyone else from the option, especially since the ability to check previous names already exists.

(Sep. 27, 2014  3:49 PM)Dark_Mousy Wrote: I personally will never change my username. Mainly because the moment I do i know someone would take it and impersonate me. Ive seen this happen all to many times.

Is this an ego issue?
how about this.
You could set a username to not be taken after you change your name once.
So;
Example-
Kai-V to AlienLover.
Has the month to have their stock Username. If the name isn't changed back after exactly one month, it will be open for anyone. If AlienLover chooses not to be Kai-V again, Kai-V will go public.
I'm not even sure if the forum hosting site has the capacity to do that.
I think requesting for a name change is better than having to wait

Just my input

tbh I really hate my current one,Honestly I HATE my current one

I also think a preset name is good idea too

It could be on your profile
Requests would be a bad idea, as I mentioned before, because the committee already has enough on their plate, and now they'd be swamped with username requests that they'd have to take care of.
Captain, the actual fundamental reasons are technical :
- Username changes make Beypoint processing too complicated, especially when some hosts do not write the exact past userames and that we do not even find the person anymore;
- Username changes cannot be Member-specific in MyBB.

I was just pointing out the additional social reason not to change username too often.
Ah, now those I admit are entirely valid reasons, thanks for clarifying.
Looks like we have five votes on the request option!

my goal is to get 10 at least
Just FYI, it's not up to the poll to decide, Nøva.
(Sep. 30, 2014  2:41 AM)Echizen Wrote: Just FYI, it's not up to the poll to decide, Nøva.
True

but then again,it shows how many people agree
Sorry to double post but I wanted to bring up (again) that certain users should be able to change their names when ever!

At request of course Smile
The last few pages basically have the rebuttal to your argument. It'd just be too tedious.

Also, "certain users...?"
When most people change this names,they usually keep part of it as a basis.For ExEeemperor Elite to Elite Deity.
That way,they will still be remembered
To go along with what The Black Dragon was saying, I feel that 1 month is too free. I feel like it should be restricted to 3 months. Honestly, it's really hard keeping track of a lot of things just looking through threads trying to figure things out.

Imagine if The Black Dragon changed his name? No one would have a clue who I am referencing (at least those users who either forgot or never knew his old name).

Also, many others have made solid arguments supporting this as well. Smile
It's not that difficult guys. Not sure who someone is, click on their username, and look through their username history. And that's even if they change their username and avatar.
(Nov. 28, 2014  1:43 AM)Dual Wrote: It's not that difficult guys. Not sure who someone is, click on their username, and look through their username history. And that's even if they change their username and avatar.

I bet the limit being placed really hit you hard considering your addiction. xD

I mean, it's not that difficult guys. Just choose a username you like. You don't go changing your real name every month. xD

Well, I'm sure Dual would if he could afford it....
Can't tell if you're mocking me or just kidding. My bad, haha.

But for your information, sometimes people just want different usernames. For instance, when I first came here, I didn't know much of what was going on, so I just used my first and middle initial then my last name as a username. Well once I got more used to the community, I realised that using my name was kind of weird, so I changed it to TWRP, then that felt too immature, and I recently changed my name because my previous one was too long for me.

And if you read the thread, I understand why the limit was placed.