Should bending parts by hand count as illegal modification?

Poll: Should bending parts by hand count as illegal modification?

Yes
72.73%
No
27.27%
Total: 100% 44 vote(s)
I think it goes without saying that you shouldn't be allowed to do this. I've had beys get called illegal for tournament play because the slopes were too worn, so I don't consider this a worthy thing to be legal. Why is the vanguard thing allowed when I can physically bend the plastic piece off of the hurricane disk. I can physically bend the rubber pieces off of savior valkirye.
(Jun. 01, 2022  11:58 PM)bladekid Wrote: I think it goes without saying that you shouldn't be allowed to do this. I've had beys get called illegal for tournament play because the slopes were too worn, so I don't consider this a worthy thing to be legal. Why is the vanguard thing allowed when I can physically bend the plastic piece off of the hurricane disk. I can physically bend the rubber pieces off of savior valkirye.

While I still think this shouldn't be legal, it's definitely an interesting case. Is the extra burst resistance worth using a significantly lighter disk? How does it affect gameplay in Standard VS other formats? Should we really be encouraging players to intentionally physically alter their parts (outside of normal wear and intended wear, such as worn Rise, Evolution, and Savior) so they perform better? How do we explain this rule/exception to younger players and/or parents? The latter two questions are things I feel should definitely be discussed more.
(Jun. 02, 2022  12:36 AM)BladerGem Wrote:
(Jun. 01, 2022  11:58 PM)bladekid Wrote: I think it goes without saying that you shouldn't be allowed to do this. I've had beys get called illegal for tournament play because the slopes were too worn, so I don't consider this a worthy thing to be legal. Why is the vanguard thing allowed when I can physically bend the plastic piece off of the hurricane disk. I can physically bend the rubber pieces off of savior valkirye.

While I still think this shouldn't be legal, it's definitely an interesting case. Is the extra burst resistance worth using a significantly lighter disk? How does it affect gameplay in Standard VS other formats? Should we really be encouraging players to intentionally physically alter their parts (outside of normal wear and intended wear, such as worn Rise, Evolution, and Savior) so they perform better? How do we explain this rule/exception to younger players and/or parents? The latter two questions are things I feel should definitely be discussed more.

The second last question - absolutely not. It amounts to encouraging players to find common sense loopholes, which, we know how that goes, from the thread Shindog posted. As for the second question, how do we explain this rule to younger players and/or parents? You tell them it's in the rulebook and they can go pound sand. Does that reflect well on anyone in the WBO? Absolutely not. Just as it was said in the LR launching thread that it should never look like you've broken the rules in a match, it should never look like you're bending the rules or trying to play with the wording to line them up to your advantage during a match.

Also, this applies to more than just the part-bending rule and applies to sportsmanship in general - it might look cool from your point of view to do something and to justify it in your mind with "it's all okay because everyone can do it." However, others do not view this the same way - in particular parents of children at events, who see this and are very likely to decide "wow that's some hot nonsense" - and promptly decide that their kid will have a better time playing with them at home, so as to avoid facing people who, in their eyes, are adults trying to argue with their child to make it look like they won.

"A new player seeing a veteran take apart their combo before the match, putting 3 tonnes of force into their disk, and then reassembling may not take so kindly to it."

This goes even more so for parents who are at events with their children.