Recoil Article Draft

Recoil, by definition is:
-to spring or fly back, as in consequence of force of impact or the force of the discharge, as a firearm.

In Beyblade, Recoil is referred to as an undesirable result of a collision between two parts, in which the beyblade is knocked in the oposite direction, resulting in decreased Stamina and a possible self KO. Prominent contact points that make contact with another Beyblade is usually the cause of Recoil.

Recoil is not to be confused with Smash Attack however, as Smash Attack is used to try to Knock-Out your opponents Beyblade, where as recoil is a negative result of such a collision. Although Recoil and Smash Attack capabilities are often linked, the most effective Smash Attack Wheels are ones which do not suffer from recoil.

-------------------------
I wasn't sure which recoil definition to use. I got it from here :
http://dictionary.reference.com/browse/Recoil
so if you think another one is better, just tell me and I'll change it.

There really wasn't much for me to write, this took surprisingly very little time. Was it too short? Hah, I don't really know what else should be written. It seems like other articles that are similar to this are also similar in size, and in information.
Oh well, so you made it already, eh? If you made it right after you got permission, it took you about 20 mins to make this! Well, IMO its just perfect. Recoil in beyblade is something, which can be described easily in a paragraph as short as that. So, I think that the length is not much of a problem. But, I am seriously not into writing/judging drafts, so yeah! Tongue_out The definition is also the most appropriate, IMO. Smile
Hmm, perhaps you could add something like "although recoil and Smash Attack capability are often linked, the most effective Smash Wheels are ones which do not suffer from recoil". Other than that, your draft is very clear.
This is a short, but a good article SSJFisherman (but I guess now you are Shabalabadoo)

Thanks for this =)

My only suggestion; The title maybe shouldn't be called recoil? Perhaps "Recoil (Beyblade)" and just have recoil redirect there? Its not necisary, just a suggestion. Do whatever
(Aug. 10, 2011  4:37 PM)Shabalabadoo Wrote: Recoil is not to be confused with Smash Attack however, as Smash Attack is used to try to Knock-Out your opponents Beyblade, where as recoil is a negative result of such a collision. Although Recoil and Smash Attack capabilities are often linked, the most effective Smash Attack Wheels are ones which do not suffer from recoil.

thankyou so much

i hate it when people call recoil attack!

like i say, more recoil doesn't mean more attack, but more attack means more recoil
(Aug. 10, 2011  11:29 PM)lord Wolfblade Wrote:
(Aug. 10, 2011  4:37 PM)Shabalabadoo Wrote: Recoil is not to be confused with Smash Attack however, as Smash Attack is used to try to Knock-Out your opponents Beyblade, where as recoil is a negative result of such a collision. Although Recoil and Smash Attack capabilities are often linked, the most effective Smash Attack Wheels are ones which do not suffer from recoil.

thankyou so much

i hate it when people call recoil attack!

like i say, more recoil doesn't mean more attack, but more attack means more recoil

Again, not necessarily.
Sorry I didn't get to this earlier!

(Aug. 10, 2011  4:37 PM)Shabalabadoo Wrote: Recoil, by definition is:
-to spring or fly back, as in consequence of force of impact or the force of the discharge, as a firearm.

In Beyblade, Recoil is referred to as the often undesirable result of a collision between two parts, in which the Beyblade is knocked in the opposite direction, resulting in decreased Stamina and a possible self-KO. Prominent contact points that make contact with another Beyblade is usually the cause of Recoil.

Recoil is not to be confused with Smash Attack however, as Smash Attack is used to try to Knock-Out your opponents Beyblade, where as recoil is a negative result of such a collision. Although Recoil and Smash Attack capabilities are often linked, the most effective Smash Attack Wheels are ones which do not suffer from recoil.

Made some slight changes/corrections. This is perfect; go ahead and post it! Make sure to add the "Terminology" category to this.
I do not know why I had not thought of it earlier, but perhaps an illustration with vectors could help people see how recoil cannot possibly attack :
http://worldbeyblade.org/Thread-MF-H-Bas...#pid779313

Just to highlight even more the fact that "recoil attacker" just does not exist, unless somehow a Beyblade rebounds on stadium walls to hit the opponent back all the time, but I highly doubt that exists. I know "result" already implies "consequence", but perhaps we need to really define that the collisions in Beyblade happen in at least two steps : force/smash/whatever, and then recoil, so you can never have recoil before.
I don't know about an illustration, but doesn't the article already imply that recoil is a "consequence" clearly enough?:

Shabalabadoo Wrote:Recoil is not to be confused with Smash Attack however, as Smash Attack is used to try to Knock-Out your opponents Beyblade, where as recoil is a negative result of such a collision. Although Recoil and Smash Attack capabilities are often linked, the most effective Smash Attack Wheels are ones which do not suffer from recoil.

Perhaps we could add this?:

(Aug. 10, 2011  4:37 PM)Shabalabadoo Wrote: Recoil, by definition is:

In Beyblade, Recoil is referred to as the often undesirable result of a collision between two parts, in which the Beyblade is knocked in the opposite direction after colliding with its opponent, resulting in decreased Stamina and a possible self-KO. Prominent contact points that make contact with another Beyblade is usually the cause of Recoil.

I still do not think it addresses the false belief that there is such a thing as "Recoil Attacker".
(Sep. 07, 2011  3:28 AM)Kai-V Wrote: I still do not think it addresses the false belief that there is such a thing as "Recoil Attacker".

Maybe it doesn't directly address that, but we also don't directly address on Beywiki the fact that there is no such thing as the "Destabilizer" as it's own type. If it doesn't exist, we don't need to come out and say that it doesn't.

It's not a big deal as long as we don't ever give suggestions for how to create a "Recoil Attacker" or something.
I actually think a illustration could be useful. But how would/should it be done? Just like the one you wrote Kai-V, or paint, or what?

The illustration you wrote really made sense to me personally, and I think it's an easy way to explain and understand it.

Some people are visual learners. Well that's what dumb teachers have told me.

Edit: so should I post this before we figure out how we'll address "recoil attack", or after?
Yes, I suppose you can just publish this and if I get time to make the illustration, we could think about adding it.
I just finished putting it up anyways.. We can add that in if we choose to, so I hope it's OK.

I believe I did everything correctly. I'd like someone to confirm I did it properly though.
(Sep. 07, 2011  4:31 AM)Shabalabadoo Wrote: I just finished putting it up anyways.. We can add that in if we choose to, so I hope it's OK.

I believe I did everything correctly. I'd like someone to confirm I did it properly though.

Looks good. I just fixed some minor formatting issues.
Shabalabadoo: ...being a visual learner myself, is that an insult? I can understand without it, but its alot easier when i can see something rather than think about it alot. It helps me confirm that I understand the topic at hand. While for something like this visuals dont seem necisary, it definatly would't hurt.
the question that i was hoping to be answered here was does bigger gaps in the wheel make a bey suffer from recoil? Maybe you should add the reason why beys suffer from recoil into the article.
edit: sorry i didnt read the article properly :L
What we mean by recoil is the force taking a whole Beyblade from one point to another, not really a spin-steal or something that affects only its spin.
That's good, but I think it'd be better if it happened to both beyblades, and there was a little less movement (so like, half distance where it went in this one). Going off the screen was too much.
(Sep. 09, 2011  3:43 PM)Shabalabadoo Wrote: That's good, but I think it'd be better if it happened to both beyblades, and there was a little less movement (so like, half distance where it went in this one). Going off the screen was too much.

The problem I see with this is you're asking me to animate a realistic beyblade battle for an article written for the purpose of teaching people a concept which they could not understand by watching/having an actual one.

I'm posting in this thread due to an observation of increasing corrections to forum members on how recoil does not contribute to a Beyblade's attack potential. While it is true that recoil is undesirable because it leads to a much greater chance of self-KOs, it's important to know how recoil occurs. It's a proven scientific law that force is conserved and that an object will not move unless a force is exerted on it. Recoiling occurs because of such forces; however, because recoil is due solely on the recoiling Beyblade and not the opponent Beyblade, it can be an indicator of the equal and opposite the force that the recoiling Beyblade exerts on the opposing Beyblade.

Below is my explanation on why recoil can be good in addition to the well established self-KO bad.

Warning: link contains science content and lots and lots of formulas and numbers. All values used are theoretical only and not at all accurate or even possible but are true enough to explain the point if real-world values were to be actually used in the formulas. A closed system is used and energy loss due to friction, air resistance, and heat are not included for simplification purposes.
https://docs.google.com/document/d/1HmQ9...B_FF8/edit
We warn people for claiming significant recoil is in and of itself a valuable force, and it is not. It is the toxic fume of a positive force.

Some measure of recoil will produce counter-attacking, but that is just your "standard value". Wheels that have an excess of it, or scenarios where users are claiming that an excess of it is positive, are bad. Even wheels with barely any recoil at all still produce enough counter-movement, so any value greater than that increases risk of self-KO and pattern breaking exponentially.