Rayman Returns

As you know rayman was a great game. rayman's 1,2,3 had been successful
but then a new trailer for rayman 4 came out, and it was epic. then they had to change it by replacing it with a bunch of minigames, i mean the DS and GBA versions were like the game in the trailer. then i thought it's a one change. That Was My First Mistake. They Released a sequel which didn't even have rayman on the front cover the same with no.3. so to my conclusion the rabbids have taken over the series. but then they seperated the series to it's next game (rabbids go home). rayman then made a comeback with his new game Rayman Origins.

I was so excited when i heard about this. but by the trailer i think it will show rayman's true origins. Now i thought it was a reboot because in the first game it was a valley. and in rayman 2, rayman met globox and was pretty excited to see him "again". But In The First Game It hardly introduced globox or any of the other cast in rayman 2. so then i came with the conclusion that Rayman Origins Is a prequel to rayman 2. So What Are Your Thoughts on rayman's comeback.
It's going to fail.

Rayman 2 and 3 are great games I remember quite fondly from my childhood, but ever since that Ravin' Rabbit non-sense, it's been going downhill a lot.

So this'll suck.
Dude has not seen a single piece of media from Rayman Origins CONFIRMED
I've seen this http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nF6G72Z0Rw0 and it was enough.

If you tell me that this trailer is a...work-in-progress, or something and that they might radically shift their art direction (Which I doubt) I'll retract my statement, but, as it stands, this is just immature and childish, which doesn't feel like an actual Rayman game. Sure, the other games were childish and immature too, but they were also dark and did have a serious feel to them.

I get that this is a kid's game, but this is treating children like they're just a bunch of idiots who like funny sounds and things that bounce all over the place, which they aren't.
I loved Rayman. It was both dark, age-appropriate, and moderately difficult. Hell, I still can't even beat the battle against Razorbeard (last stage of battle) in my Ipod Touch.

This however, looks like a piece of carp. It's disgustingly childish, and it looks like it was made for a 2-year old. Rayman has fallen far from grace, that's all I have to say.
(Sep. 22, 2011  10:53 PM)Dude Wrote: I've seen this http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nF6G72Z0Rw0 and it was enough.

If you tell me that this trailer is a...work-in-progress, or something and that they might radically shift their art direction (Which I doubt) I'll retract my statement, but, as it stands, this is just immature and childish, which doesn't feel like an actual Rayman game. Sure, the other games were childish and immature too, but they were also dark and did have a serious feel to them.

I get that this is a kid's game, but this is treating children like they're just a bunch of idiots who like funny sounds and things that bounce all over the place, which they aren't.

This is Ubisoft marketing. They'll showcase a game they're aiming for kids in the dumbest light possible, because they're used to publishing trash for kids.

On the other hand, this game is actually directed by Michel Ancel, the creator of Rayman (who was only tangentially involved with the Rabbids games after his initial concept of a platformer was scrapped) and Beyond Good & Evil. So I wouldn't take Ubisoft's marketing as a 100% representation of the game.

With all of this said, the game's absolutely gorgeous. I have no clue as to why you'd want them to change their art direction. It's very lush, and colourful which isn't something we always see anymore. The sprites animate really well too. I'm actually contemplating just waiting for the Vita version since no TV I have will do the graphics justice as well as an OLED screen can.
I've made it no secret that I don't care at all for pwetty graphics, unless they're mind-blowingly good, like the Final Fantasy games.

And I guess we didn't see the same gameplay videos, because, from what I saw, this was really nothing special Uncertain Typical sidescroller with things blocking your way, kinda like Limbo, except not nearly as atmospheric. Unless you tell me that this video isn't really the game and just some... uhh... weird thing (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EcHJrQc_IFk) then the gameplay is also bland and the graphics aren't really as great as you make them sound. Seriously, they look like Paper Mario graphics Uncertain
It sounds like you just don't like platformers, which begs the question, what do you want from a Rayman game? They're platformers, this is a platformer.

I don't dislike platformers at all, I grew up with Mario. It's not my favourite kind of gameplay (That being RPGs) but, if done right, they can be awesomely fun.

What I want from a Rayman platformer is a game that actually feels like a Rayman platformer, not some downgraded, immature game made to appeal to the dumber kids, which I guess is a good way to make money, but this isn't how Rayman games used to be. They had their moments of silliness, of course, like in Rayman 3 when the doctors would play music with Globox's body to get André out of him, but, in contrast, the game also had several very threathening moments, like when you're stuck in the underground realm of the immortal freakin' race of the Knaaren.

I have yet to see a single thing that can be taken seriously in this dumb game.
The art is decent, and looks nice and colorful. Yes. However, Ubisoft's marketing made it look like trash. All I here YAAAAA! and WOOOHOOOO!!! At least Rayman could speak properly in the older games. Some of the mechanics, like that flying minigame, look decent however.
personally rayman is platformer so it's better to have a rayman platformer than non at all
So. Played the demo on PSN. I came to this game with an open mind, y'know? I was willing to give it a chance. I like surprises too.

It sucks. Like, really.

I'll ignore the fact that it's immature and stupid, because I guess it's aimed for kids (Although I think you'd have to be either a very dumb kid or a very, VERY young kid to enjoy this) and focus on everything else. The gameplay is really nothing special. It's your average side-scroller with nothing really bringing it out of the lot (That is the MYRIAD of other and better side-scrollers) but the controls feel very stiff, at least for Rayman, who's the one I used. The graphics are pretty "sometimes" but, like I said many times, I don't care much for graphics. Hell, Limbo, a game that's all black and white with shades of grey was much more appealling to the eye! There's just too many little, pointless details everywhere, it becomes ugly. The music is god damn annoying! It's the kind of music that gets stuck in your head, but not the good kind, like a Megaman tune or something, but rather the kind of music that'd make you bash your head against the wall! Of course, the music only serves to complement the stupidity of pretty much everything that's going on in the game. The enemies are a joke, I can't even believe it. In the first level, they're like swamp zombies that don't move at all! They're just targets for the kiddies to punch without any kind of challenge or even effort. In the second level, they become a slightly bigger challenge, but you have infinite ammo (Because Rayman judged better to go through this level on a giant mosquito that shouts little pellets, or something... Go figure...) so you can just blast them from far away. The second level boss, a huge eel-like fish, is also ridiculously easy. His tail glows purple. WHAT DO I HIT, DUUUUUH?! I get that it's for kids, but kids aren't that dumb! Don't treat this generation of gamers like idiots, because they're not.

This is just really sad. I expected some degree of competence and maturity from Ubisoft. Come on. This is not purchase-worthy in the slightest, it's not even rental-worthy. Hell, if someone gave it to me for free, I wouldn't even play it. It's that bad. I refuse to honor this piece of excrement with my time. This insult to gamers' intelligence is... sickening.
You seem to be out on an island with that opinion:

[Image: jZRnk.png]
Indeed. I expected as much, really.

I guess people like that kind of dumb carp. I feel sorry for them knowing that they've spent actual money on something like that. It's pretty sad.
Video game taste is more subjective than movie taste. There are people who think Call of Duty Modern Warfare whatever number is anything but garbage - I am not one of those people.

If a game is fun, that is the important thing. I personally like the whimsical art style, but I'm not one for platformers.