Promoting WBO

I was thinking if there was ever a time to promote WBO in Canada, it would be now, as the new Beyblade show is being aired and you can finally buy them in stores. aka strike while the fire is hot. It would allow people just getting into Beyblade a chance to learn about WBO, and thus encourage players to stick with Beyblade by providing this community.

So I was wondering if the WBO had any guidelines for promotion? Do you have posters or pamphlets that could be dropped off at appropriate places such as schools, anime clubs or stores, or other places that allow that kind of promotion? Do you encourage this kind of activity? and if you do, then what would be some advice for it?
That is a good idea their would be more users here,more people buying passports,and more tourneys,events,and more people buying and selling beys.
We are actually trying to work on this.

Of course, in general, it is more courteous to ask the permission of the shop owner or whatever other 'authority' before leaving pamphlets or applying posters somewhere. Otherwise, things should be fine.
hey kai v a mate of mine s bro owns a manga store i could ask him to hang up some posters but the prob is i cant make them myself
(May. 31, 2010  8:10 PM)Kai-V Wrote: We are actually trying to work on this.
I would be willing to help with this. A simple idea which you may already have taken into account is to tailor posters/pamphlets/etc towards a couple different target audiences. For example (1) Elementary school age (2) High school age (3) even maybe for the older crowd like college. I know it is quite common for high schools and colleges to have anime clubs, if even one person gets interested then the poster/pamphlet/etc has worked its magic. Another idea I had was many libraries freely allow advertisement, it is a possible location to put something up. A couple brainstormed ideas anyway.
Beywiki was a project that started way before Metal Fight Beyblade was announced.
You are on the first page of Google, aren't you (yes, yes you are)?

So, i think you can expect a newbie pile as soon as the U.S. release starts.
=P the vast majority (especially young ones) will probably not join the site, however. In my experience, as one of them, I never joined forums, only read them every now and then. Even now, it took me quite a long time before i joined the WBO. I think if we have people come to the site with their mindset on joining the site, it will make a large difference.
(Jun. 21, 2010  12:40 PM)momiji manju Wrote: =P the vast majority (especially young ones) will probably not join the site, however. In my experience, as one of them, I never joined forums, only read them every now and then. Even now, it took me quite a long time before i joined the WBO. I think if we have people come to the site with their mindset on joining the site, it will make a large difference.
same here didn't join until 08' and i started in 04' i was a kid soo i didnt listen to anyone about beyblde and thought i was the best....maybe if we promote the site enough and get a load of members then hasbro could start acknowledging our existence (i was thinking it would be nice to have "WBO" on the back of every new BMF release lol probably not gonna happen though) ...
on another note.....
I seriously think the WBO should start selling T-shirts or something ... think about it we have over like 5,000 members if everyone bought a shirt for 15$ or something think about how much money we would have for the site....and it would be pretty cheap to have the shirts and other accessories made and give them out with prizes at tourneys...lol show up to hasbro tourneys to give out flyers to kids
i rember visiting bey wiki all the time reading about plastics to help me decide what i was gonna buy but was to afraid and confussed by the forum and didnt understand it so i didnt join untill last year and slowly got the hang of it.This was like in 06' i rember g-rev was still being showin on CN and beys wore still for sale here at that time

i think alot of younger people visiting could be the same way as i was theyll probley visit here and look around but probley wont join or only join so they can compete in tournements and probley not post
I've had an account on the original BeyWiki. And back then Beyblade WAS dead.
It's the community that kept it alive.. A thank god Takara made the dicision to re-launch the series..

It may be a person thing, but I wont ever concider anyone who joined in from MFB a true blader.. Just a personal thing.. Some people are more welcoming - some aren't (maybe it's just the nostalgia of the old times? back when we were kids?).
Yeah, that's a totally personal and frankly, ridiculous opinion to hold.

I can think of numerous members who are already more knowledgeable and better members of the community than people who got into Beyblade during the plastic era.
I started liking the Beyblade hobby a lot more with Metal Fight Beyblade ...
I only really started giving the game a lot of attention from the HMS series onwards, more or less everything released after the S series seemed pretty pointless in personal opinion.
Even then, I was nowhere near as in-depth with my knowledge and effort as I have been with MFB, they are a pretty vastly superior product for the most part.
Everyone deserves to be able to come here knowing nothing, and leave with something (we hope).
We aren't an elitist group, where only the most knowledgeable and oldest bladers are accepted, nor will we ever be.
This genuinely is a place for everyone who just wants to enjoy Beyblade for what it is. A great hobby and game, with an amazing community to back it.
(Jun. 21, 2010  2:19 PM)Kai-V Wrote: I started liking the Beyblade hobby a lot more with Metal Fight Beyblade ...
I have started to get deeper into the customization I used to never customize my plastics ...and MFB seems sooo much more mature... when i'd show some a plastic one they would say "why are you playing with toys" now it is treated how a yo-yo or other skill toy(i consider beyblade a skill toy)would be treated, with respect as a hobby...I also wish for everyone to just drop plastics and hms ....and i wish that there will be kids that will grow up like us and keep the game going....
(Jun. 21, 2010  2:26 PM)Taru Wrote: [quote='Kai-V' pid='287841' dateline='1277126344']
it is treated how a yo-yo or other skill toy(i consider beyblade a skill toy)

You're allowed to consider a skilltoy in your own opinion but it's quite a tad different from a skilltoy. Skilltoys are a lot more like skateboarding where you learn tricks and usually the aim is to perform. I can see where you are coming from but being a person who actively yoyos and plays astrojax I don't see the relation. Yes there are spintops but they are still actually a toy where tricks are performed.

Beyblade is closer to a card game or competitively natured board game. It's more of a player vs player kind of thing as well as there being a lot of customization.

Just as an off question have you ever played with any skilltoys to understand what I'm talking about? Or am I just kinda informing the wind here... I'm not trying to sound like a prick but that's a little to far off of to be considered a skill toy. (inb4 it requres skill and it is a toy)

Anyways, back to being on topic... I played in the plastic generation and it was all fine and dandy but I really think MFB is where it's at. My interest has peaked for beyblade with the release of MFB and I think it's mainly due to the fact that they've made so many changes to the game. Metal hitting metal is a lot more satisfying to hear than plastic hitting plastic. The blades are more durable now, and the customization is what really gets me. I found in the plastic generation, customization was around but it didn't feel as great as MFB. I'm kind of glad they got rid of Bit Beasts by the way it was to much of a pain as a kid dealing with them and having them being stolen all the time.

If you're going to judge somebody when they picked up a hobby you're a total fool and restricting yourself from openly making a lot of new friends. I'm really glad I found this place and for one don't care whether someone joined at the Plastic Gen, HMS, of MFB... All I know is that we are here now and all we want to to do is share our passion for this hobby.
All this input is cool and all, but this thread is actually about promoting the WBO; we've strayed really far away from the subject matter.
(Jun. 21, 2010  3:08 PM)♥ Wrote: All this input is cool and all, but this thread is actually about promoting the WBO; we've strayed really far away from the subject matter.

Ah.

There's a local Gaming And Hobby store (gaming as in tabletop games like Dungeons and Dragons and other fun stuff). I'm gonna try and get them to get some Beyblades in stock and then use them as a place to hold tournaments. I know both of the owners and I'm pretty sure they will be cool with it. I'm planning to use WBO rules and I'm going to be handing out info cards with the Beywiki and the Forums on said card. I just need some free time to do all of this... (Oh and a decent stadium to run some tournies in...)
We all get tats on our forearms. That's the ticket.
(Jun. 21, 2010  2:19 PM)Kai-V Wrote: I started liking the Beyblade hobby a lot more with Metal Fight Beyblade ...

Hah, Mee too
(Jun. 21, 2010  9:03 PM)To Wrote: We all get tats on our forearms. That's the ticket.

I'm not sure why, but I died laughing at this. Smile
I'll get it if it's not pernament! xD

On a more serious note: But, aren't we already kind of known at least by a few in the general public?YTV already acknowledges the existance of the WBO (or at least the anime master does.)

YTV is connected with Hasbro so I should think we're doing pretty good!
Superbowl commercial.
(Jun. 22, 2010  5:01 AM)Cye Kinomiya Wrote: Superbowl commercial.
I agree....sell t-shirts until we have enough money to pay for a superbowl commercial....
Well, I know the owner of a hobby store close to me, (due to me being 9 and going to their tournaments in yugioh: and beating everyone, including the owners XD)and i could probably get them to get some MFBs, and i can organize a beyblade tournament there and hand out WBOfliers(im good with Microsoft Pubisher), but idk how to go about the Superbowl commercials...=)
(Jun. 21, 2010  2:08 PM)DeizelMassacre Wrote: I've had an account on the original BeyWiki. And back then Beyblade WAS dead.
It's the community that kept it alive.. A thank god Takara made the dicision to re-launch the series..

It may be a person thing, but I wont ever concider anyone who joined in from MFB a true blader.. Just a personal thing.. Some people are more welcoming - some aren't (maybe it's just the nostalgia of the old times? back when we were kids?).

I can see what you're saying there but I disagree strongly. I've been watching beyblade since I was a kid and got my first beyblade before they were even in stock in the Uk hehe, but just because some kid didnt get the chance to enjoy a hobby earlier is no reason to treat them any less than you would another person.

I mean it's just a hobby really, I like that I was playing from the start but that's not what's important.

Anyway, t-shirt ideas have been flying round and I have to say, it's a good one. I'd buy them for sure, and if it had the site on it then it'd work for advertising. Obviously people aren't gonna see it and go "*gasp* I feel enlightened! to the internet!" but a lot of the tourneys in the uk end up being situated within other anime events, ad that's kinda target audience.
While we are working on all of this, if you already have some material that you would like to offer us, like yusei fudo who said he could make flyers, we will be happy to receive and consider them.

Also, we would probably always have issues with selling T-shirts through a proper website because we obviously use a lot of copyrighted content. We are trying to find an alternative ... If anybody has a suggestion for us, again, go ahead.