Possible change to “Driver variants with the same name rule”

(Nov. 14, 2021  3:27 PM)Shindog Wrote:
(Nov. 14, 2021  3:18 PM)CrisisCrusher07 Wrote: I think the biggest controversy is “turning” vs “Spinning”. It’s hard to explain what I mean without a video or something to explain it. There are times when the Beyblade falls onto its side and it stops spinning on the axis that goes straight through the center of the Chip, Layer, Disk, and Driver. Instead it starts spinning on the axis that would essentially be going through one side of the Disk and coming out the other side of the Disk. In WBO that is turning and not spinning. Yet in WBBA that would still be considered spinning or rotating.
The biggest problem I see in the spinning section of the WBO rule is the use of the word “rolling.”  A launch like the dread vertical is legal (https://youtu.be/CovIEcPoLzs), which in my mind is “rolling” like a tire rolling down the street.  So this dread vertical type “rolling” is legally “spinning,” but “Rotation along the stadium floor alone is considered ‘rolling’ and is therefore no longer considered to be spinning.” is not legally spinning.  This is very confusing to me.

Definition of spin in the dictionary:
“to revolve or rotate rapidly, as the earth or a top”

Definition of roll in the dictionary:
“to move along a surface by revolving or turning over and over, as a ball or a wheel.”

I read these definitions and I get more confused about the rule while knowing dread vertical is legal. It has always been explained to me that dread vertical is legal and considered “spinning,” but to me dread vertical is also definitely “rolling.”

Truthfully, Dread Vertical is only legal if the wheel is slipping. As I've seen it explained to "roll" the outer edge in contact with the stadium must be moving the same speed from the speed it's moving across it (like a tire with full traction), in that it is providing no power at all and simply continuing motion that it either already had or moving because of the slope of the stadium. In that sense, if Dread Vertical ever reaches a point where it is moving at the same speed of the outer edge in contact, it would become a roll.

The issue then is "Can anybody really tell when this happens", and the answer is going to be a huge "nope", which realistically means you can only get away with it because it's at such a high speed that the judge can't prove it is rolling and therefore can't reasonably call the match, which is dumb and a serious flaw in the system. Truth is, even at slow speeds you can never really be certain when something stops spinning and starts rolling. Oh yeah, and all of this? None of it applies to anything that free-spins, since free-spinning parts can stop completely and still have the rest of the top be considered spinning so they intrinsically have an advantage due to generally being unable to "roll".

Honestly, it's another thing that's just way too complicated for its own good and really doesn't serve any purpose in the game. It would be both easier to judge matches and to explain the rules without having to define "rolling", especially since it can still be rotating in the same direction it was launched in and yet be counted as a "roll" even though it never once stopped motion.

I'm thinking of making a proposition to change this now. It's just overly complicated nonsense that isn't at all self-evident in the way the game is played, and I don't like that at all.