One Piece

(Jul. 06, 2009  10:12 AM)FelGrand Wrote: why watch dvd when you can watch online XD

Can you stop talking about piracy here (and maybe try reading the rules sometime)?
(Jul. 06, 2009  10:12 AM)FelGrand Wrote: why watch dvd when you can watch online XD

I have morals.
(Jul. 06, 2009  10:17 AM)Bey Brad Wrote: Can you stop talking about piracy here (and maybe try reading the rules sometime)?

Is it under "Drugs and other illegal activities?"

anyway, I am sorry to break the rules and if I am wrong, can you tell me what offence it was?
oh i love the one piece anime i am on episode 408 now its cool
i don't watch the anime but i read the manga. But i'm only on volume 5
Im up to the latest chap.. The 4Kids dub was horrible. When Nami's mum "gets locked away" they make it look so bad....
People still complaining about the 4Kids dub? That ended 3 years ago. Since then you've had the infinitely superior FUNimation dub that ultimately bombed on TV, and is struggling on DVD.
(Jul. 09, 2009  3:57 PM)To Wrote: People still complaining about the 4Kids dub? That ended 3 years ago. Since then you've had the infinitely superior FUNimation dub that ultimately bombed on TV, and is struggling on DVD.

And was canceled.

http://blog.funimation.com/2009/05/funim...g-on-hold/
Um, no it wasn't. That's the simulcast. Where FUNimation streams a subtitled version of One Piece an hour after it airs in Japan. They still have the license, and in fact, they are partnering up with Viz to release both the manga, and anime (on DVD in English and Japanese) quicker in North America.

It also seems that Toei is trying to get the dub back on TV in North America.
The way I interpreted it was that they weren't doing it at all, because they didn't just say we wouldn't get the stream. They said the series so you can understand where I'm coming from.
Yes, but literally days ago, FUNimation reiterated that they still have the license. Still are soliciting their DVD collections for the series. And are talking to Toei to try to get the stream back up.
http://www.animenewsnetwork.com/news/200...oku-basara

That should talk about One Piece and their retention of the license. I can't be sure though, because for some reason ANN isn't working on Opera right now.
Holy carp at Whitebeard's power! I guess he really is the world's strongest man from what we've seen so far. Wonder if we'll finally get to see Akainu fight now.

lol at Ace trying to kill Whitebeard over 100 times

I started reading the manga after the episode were Boa Hancock first shows up and damn, so much carp as happened since then. Luffy's adventure through Impel Down was awesome as was the return of many old faces (oh man, Mr. 2 just had to sacrifice himself again =( ) along with the new alies (Ivankov's face creeps me up everytime). Magellan was also overwhelming, yet another guy Luffy could do very little against.
Really looking forward to the next chapters, hope Luffy and the others still make it in time for the battle at Marinford.

Oh and, lol (fat Usopp, haha didn't see that coming). Hopefully, all the Strawhats will get stronger. They weren't just sent to those places randomly... Still wonder why Kuma "helped them" and what did he tell Rayleigh during his fight against Kizaru. Also, did Sanji just turn okama in chapter 544? lol

Just to add, it makes some people feel good when they buy the stuff for it, it feels a lot better than just watching it on the net on top of the fact that I have tried finding one piece on the net and I haven't found it anywhere.

Personally, I thought it was a bit childish but it was still good and I liked it, it's just a shame that it disappeared in the UK a very long time ago.
One Piece has one of the worst dubs I've ever seen. I'm not going to delve too much into the lollipop thing, but I would have LOVED to have seen how they handled Smoker. What does have in his mouth at all times, a Snickers bar?

I only ever watched one episode of the dub. It was hilarious. It was the episode where Luffy kicked Buggy right in the lapland. Except what do they show you? Luffy's foot lightly grazing Buggy's shin. Then he falls down in extreme pain. How does that work? The guy was obviously kicked in his area, they should have just showed it. One Piece evolves around violent themes and they can't even show a guy getting kicked in the groin? I think that scene right there sets the pace of how the rest of the dub is going to go.

That and the opening theme is just too funny. IT'S A PIRATE RAP. I think the best line is CHOPPER IS DOCTORING! Someone correct me if I'm wrong, but doesn't doctoring mean to alter something? Not to necessarily practice medicine?

I think as an anime the show is pretty average and nothing great. The animation is a little below I think the average standard going. I love Oda's artwork and style, but I don't think it transfers over too well to film. I watched a youtube clip of every opening so far and you can actually see the animation cutting more corners as the marathon continues. They really compensate for that though with the voice acting cast. One of the best casts I've ever heard.

I think the manga is just far superior. I actually haven't read it since Franky joined the crew, but I plan to re-read the whole thing again after Oda completes it.
(Aug. 06, 2009  1:07 AM)The_Lumberman Wrote: One Piece has one of the worst dubs I've ever seen. I'm not going to delve too much into the lollipop thing, but I would have LOVED to have seen how they handled Smoker. What does have in his mouth at all times, a Snickers bar?

I only ever watched one episode of the dub. It was hilarious. It was the episode where Luffy kicked Buggy right in the lapland. Except what do they show you? Luffy's foot lightly grazing Buggy's shin. Then he falls down in extreme pain. How does that work? The guy was obviously kicked in his area, they should have just showed it. One Piece evolves around violent themes and they can't even show a guy getting kicked in the groin? I think that scene right there sets the pace of how the rest of the dub is going to go.

That and the opening theme is just too funny. IT'S A PIRATE RAP. I think the best line is CHOPPER IS DOCTORING! Someone correct me if I'm wrong, but doesn't doctoring mean to alter something? Not to necessarily practice medicine?
That's the original dub. Actually, Funimation has been dubbing the series since last summer--I think they're up to Little Garden at the moment. Their version is terrific.

Also, 4Kids just kind of erased Smoker's cigars and had his mouth open literally all the time. They called him "Chaser."

(Aug. 06, 2009  1:07 AM)The_Lumberman Wrote: I think as an anime the show is pretty average and nothing great. The animation is a little below I think the average standard going. I love Oda's artwork and style, but I don't think it transfers over too well to film. I watched a youtube clip of every opening so far and you can actually see the animation cutting more corners as the marathon continues. They really compensate for that though with the voice acting cast. One of the best casts I've ever heard.

I think the manga is just far superior. I actually haven't read it since Franky joined the crew, but I plan to re-read the whole thing again after Oda completes it.
I actually think that the anime excels in places where the manga did not. The entire Arlong arc and the Alabasta arc were done incredibly well. Kohei Tanaka's score can really pack a punch, and he's composed hundreds of songs for the show. As for the animation, Toei's hired some quality animators midway through Water 7 that really bring the series to life. You should probably catch up with the series by the end of the year--this newest arc is incredible.
I'm glad someone else has picked up the series. The 4Kids version was freaking terrible.

Quote:Also, 4Kids just kind of erased Smoker's cigars and had his mouth open literally all the time. They called him "Chaser."

LOL, that's just fantastic.

I watched the anime just before they reached Skypiea. I don't want it to seem that I'm completely knocking the show. I think One Piece is just great. Anyone that knows me knows I've complained about this 100x times or more, but I have seen some of the recent show. It still isn't anything great by technical standards. I mean come on, some of those recent endings were just ridiculously lazy. See what I mean?

It's not just One Piece though, it's the normal anime animation that bothers me. That whole 'draw one frame for the characters bodies and only have the hair/mouths moving' drives me nuts. Or 'draw one scene and have the camera move slowly over it' to make it seem like there's more going on. A lot of Toei's animated works are notorious for that. A majority of animes do that. I remember watching episode of Inuyasha and (I was watching just for the animation mind you) there was less than 5 minutes of full body movement in the whole episode.

I remember really enjoying the Arlong arc for it's top notch voice acting. The actress voicing Bellemere did one of my favorite performances ever. One Piece has always had really fitting music also. But on a purely technical level based on the animation I wouldn't recommend One Piece to anyone. One Piece is definitely a franchise with it's merits, I can't stress that enough. But the animation isn't great. Some of the movies do improve on the series animation (I can imagine it had a better budget) though. Even in the series some of the full body movements seem really jerky at times.

That being said if you're the type of person who regularly enjoys most mainstream animes you either don't notice or don't care about a lot of the animations shortcomings. I can't help myself from noticing them through out though. It becomes too distracting. So that's my hang up I guess.

Even though I haven't read the manga in a long time, I've still been checking in very casually on the storyline. I'm still waiting until there's something completed for me to read it though.
(Aug. 06, 2009  8:57 AM)Toto Wrote: That's the original dub. Actually, Funimation has been dubbing the series since last summer--I think they're up to Little Garden at the moment. Their version is terrific.

Now that is news to me and I must check that out, if I can find them. Pinching_eyes
(Aug. 06, 2009  9:42 AM)The_Lumberman Wrote: I watched the anime just before they reached Skypiea. I don't want it to seem that I'm completely knocking the show. I think One Piece is just great. Anyone that knows me knows I've complained about this 100x times or more, but I have seen some of the recent show. It still isn't anything great by technical standards. I mean come on, some of those recent endings were just ridiculously lazy. See what I mean?

It's not just One Piece though, it's the normal anime animation that bothers me. That whole 'draw one frame for the characters bodies and only have the hair/mouths moving' drives me nuts. Or 'draw one scene and have the camera move slowly over it' to make it seem like there's more going on. A lot of Toei's animated works are notorious for that. A majority of animes do that. I remember watching episode of Inuyasha and (I was watching just for the animation mind you) there was less than 5 minutes of full body movement in the whole episode.

I remember really enjoying the Arlong arc for it's top notch voice acting. The actress voicing Bellemere did one of my favorite performances ever. One Piece has always had really fitting music also. But on a purely technical level based on the animation I wouldn't recommend One Piece to anyone. One Piece is definitely a franchise with it's merits, I can't stress that enough. But the animation isn't great. Some of the movies do improve on the series animation (I can imagine it had a better budget) though. Even in the series some of the full body movements seem really jerky at times.

That being said if you're the type of person who regularly enjoys most mainstream animes you either don't notice or don't care about a lot of the animations shortcomings. I can't help myself from noticing them through out though. It becomes too distracting. So that's my hang up I guess.
This is definitely true--Toei is notorious for lazy animation. But I do advise to check in every once in a while. Episodes 373 and 405 really show off their chops. They've had a couple of teams added that regularly showcase high quality animation, which is what the series needed. I don't think I can show you much without spoiling you, but here's a scene from a recent movie. There's two teams that animate like this now--this dude Naoki Tate is a mastermind (skip 2:00-2:05 and 2:28-2:46 if you don't want to be spoiled).

As for the Funimation dub, check this out. I mentioned that they're in Little Garden, but also, all of Skypiea was dubbed as well.
That seems a lot better. Grin Luffy's voice is a bit weird but at least it is not childish and boy, talk about stab your own arm. Pinching_eyes
TBH, I probably won't check out the dub period. It's not that I just assume it's going to be done badly because it's a dub (those people are ridiculous) but I'm pretty content with the original cast. After watching so many episodes with that cast to watch something else would just seem off to me. I don't have any issues with subtitles. I tend to stick to whatever version I see first (if I saw the dub first, I watch that. Vice versa).

I wouldn't really use a movie animation as an example. While it was leaps and bounds better than the norm, movie animation tends to always be better. I'm glad they chose not to rely so heavily on thick black line art. The style change really suits Oda's style better IMO.
(Aug. 06, 2009  10:32 PM)The_Lumberman Wrote: I wouldn't really use a movie animation as an example. While it was leaps and bounds better than the norm, movie animation tends to always be better. I'm glad they chose not to rely so heavily on thick black line art. The style change really suits Oda's style better IMO.
I dunno if you checked out the second video at all, but save for that Chopper action sequence, it's all composed of stuff from the TV series instead of the movies. I'm a huge fan of the style change; the rubbery movements really work for scenes with Luffy.
Bumping this thread back up. The official One Piece site has started the simulcast back up. Every Sunday, exactly when the episode would air in Japan, Funimation will have it subbed online in high quality for stream. Right now, they have up to episode 405 online. You can check it out here: http://www.onepieceofficial.com/

You can also watch it on Hulu too.