Nintendo 2DS

Eh, well I can already personally use my "turn off and never use it again option" for the 3D effect but I guess this is targeted/appeal to a much younger audience who either can't use the 3D effect or gamers who into another brand aka ex. PSVita, giving them a reason to buy a 2DS for a cheaper price and not just for a 3D effect.

Maybe the only reason im lookin forward to the realease date is mainly pokemon X and Y.
The 2DS is evidently aimed at three classes of people: Young children (due to the 3D harming their eyes), Pokemon fanatics (who most likely want a cheap solution to play Pokemon X and Y and honestly don't care about the 3D function), and parents (cheap way to play all their puzzle games, because that's what Nintendo have stereotyped parents as doing on their handhelds).

It's not compact, so it seems like more of a home-handheld to me. Durability...I won't even comment. The one thing that does intrigue me is that, as I've read somewhere, both screens are actually just one screen with a piece of plastic separating it this time. Does that mean that, if you break one screen, you break both? Meh.

It just seems really impractical. I don't disagree with Nintendo doing this, but I also don't really agree. To me, this just implies that the clamshell design was the reason it costed so much money. If someone doesn't post a video of the 2DS being snapped in half and them attaching a door hinge to it, I'll honestly do it myself (seems like a good parody).

And what about the positioning of these buttons? It seems really awkward having the controls on the top half of the device rather than the bottom...I don't like it at all, I'd never get used to it.

Overall, budget console, aimed at those three groups, could prove successful. Can't promise I won't laugh at people I see playing one of these in public, but y'know, that's just me. If they came out and said "Okay, the 2DS is now region-free", then I may consider getting one but right now, I'm happy with my launch 3DS.
I dont even own a DS, but I played one before, and Iknow that this is designed for young children and stuff but the whole thing seems really pointless to me. I know they dont really want the 3D on there anymore, but it was already optional so they could have just lowered the priced and removed the feature entirely. I like the tablet-like design and the fact the it doesn't fold, which definitely helps the durability, but there just are not enough new features to make me want this. Its wierd because the DS systems have always added something helpful or new, the DSi added(IIRC) internet and other new stuff, the 3DS's big thing was the 3D feature, and the 3DSXL was bigger, which I thought was very helpful. But all they did with this was remove worthless features without adding anything new. They could have worked with the new design by adding enhanced cameras, a new kind of multiplayer function, maybe even the ability to serve as a second gamepad for the Wii U. Heck, they couldve even added a 3rd screen, which wouldve made some new innovative games. But essentially this just seems like a way to make younger kids who dont care about the actual features to say, "Look mom! Its a new DS system!! I want one!" And make Nintendo cash. I do really like the design and I like that the price is cheaper, but unless they do something innovative and new, I really dont have much of a desire to own this.
It's not supposed to be something new and initiative. It's a budget console, the same way the Wii Mini and the compact SNES are (outside of Japan it's just called a regular SNES, but the design change is noticeable.) And with the upcoming release of a game that will surely be hugely popular, I think it's a pretty smart move. The price difference may not seem a lot to YOU guys, but it means a lot to other people who can't afford the same things or, don't have their parents paying for things.

And the button placement makes sense. How else are you going to reach those outrageously high shoulder buttons without them being placed that high?
That's a relief, I can pocket things cautiously enough...
Nintendo 2DS for Real! I thought it was some type of joke!

It would be the first DS without folding screens which would be kinda weird.

Definetly looks "Interesting" that's for sure.

(Aug. 30, 2013  8:04 PM)UGottaCetus Wrote: I dont even own a DS, but I played one before, and Iknow that this is designed for young children and stuff but the whole thing seems really pointless to me. I know they dont really want the 3D on there anymore, but it was already optional so they could have just lowered the priced and removed the feature entirely. I like the tablet-like design and the fact the it doesn't fold, which definitely helps the durability, but there just are not enough new features to make me want this. Its wierd because the DS systems have always added something helpful or new, the DSi added(IIRC) internet and other new stuff, the 3DS's big thing was the 3D feature, and the 3DSXL was bigger, which I thought was very helpful. But all they did with this was remove worthless features without adding anything new. They could have worked with the new design by adding enhanced cameras, a new kind of multiplayer function, maybe even the ability to serve as a second gamepad for the Wii U. Heck, they couldve even added a 3rd screen, which wouldve made some new innovative games. But essentially this just seems like a way to make younger kids who dont care about the actual features to say, "Look mom! Its a new DS system!! I want one!" And make Nintendo cash. I do really like the design and I like that the price is cheaper, but unless they do something innovative and new, I really dont have much of a desire to own this.
It for people who want a 3DS but don't have enough money to get one so they could get a 2DS or they could just get a DSI (do 2DS have most of the features of a 3DS?)
(Aug. 31, 2013  12:36 AM)Insomniac. Wrote: It isn't that big, actually.

[Image: image_60348_thumb_wide610.jpg]

still wont fit in my pocket to play music.
(Aug. 31, 2013  12:36 AM)Insomniac. Wrote: It isn't that big, actually.

[Image: image_60348_thumb_wide610.jpg]

Looks like the 2DS screen is nearly identical to today 3DS.

To be honest if i didn't get a 3DS in 2011 to this day I would actually purchase 2DS if I wasn't saving up for a Next Gen Console.
It's exactly like a 3DS, meaning Streetpass, the eShop, and all the games are playable; the only difference is that 3D is not an option, you can only play in 2D. And the obvious design changes, but besides that, it has the same exact makings of a 3DS.