Nineteen Eighty Four

Figure we should get some literature discussion going on in here.

So I bought this novel yesterday after hearing so much about it for a long time--I'm about one hundred pages in (so don't spoil it, please) but I can hardly put it down. I'm a big fan of dystopian literature and it's interesting to compare and contrast Orwell's society versus our current one.
i read this on new years eve a few years ago, so good

i should read it again
This past semester my philosophy teacher recommended I read this after reading a project of mine. I've read and enjoyed Anthem by Ayn Rand in the past, which is also dystopian literature. So eventually I may end up reading this.
I read this in Grade 9. I liked it (can't really go into much detail without spoilers) This year, we read Animal Farm.
So I finished it today--pretty depressing book throughout.

Going to read We and Brave New World next.
Brave New World was pretty good; lot of people in my class never enjoyed it. However their literary tastes never quite expanded past Harry Potter....
(Jul. 04, 2009  12:00 AM)Artie Wrote: So I finished it today--pretty depressing book throughout.

Going to read We and Brave New World next.

Brave New World is awesome. I've read it countless times, same with 1984.

You should also check out Anthem by Ayn Rand that Kei mentioned as well if you're into this genre of writing. It's really awesome and easily read (it's only like 100 pages long lol).
Thats funny, just yesterday my friend was telling me in depth about Brave New World.. anyway I plan to read it this summer
I know theres a copy of 1984 in my basement, think I'll go find it. Thanks for the push
So I've finished it a few days ago, anyone still want to talk about it?

I was really disappointed by the ending. But again that must be the feeling Orwell wanted.
I'd have rather Winston's defiance appeared in his last seconds of life ( as he once imagined, as the bullet flew).

Its pretty philosophical as much as its political. The third act was pretty amazing; control of the past- control of the present and reality.

I dunno if I can name one atm but is there one concept or bit of the book that was your favorite/most-mindboggling?
^^ My dad ordered me Brave New World the other day, should come on Monday. I haven't really read a book in a while so I'm looking forward to it. ^^;
(Jul. 25, 2009  6:45 AM)Blue Wrote: So I've finished it a few days ago, anyone still want to talk about it?

I was really disappointed by the ending. But again that must be the feeling Orwell wanted.
I'd have rather Winston's defiance appeared in his last seconds of life ( as he once imagined, as the bullet flew).

Its pretty philosophical as much as its political. The third act was pretty amazing; control of the past- control of the present and reality.

I dunno if I can name one atm but is there one concept or bit of the book that was your favorite/most-mindboggling?

It was more powerful (and tragic) the way Orwell had it happen--here is a man who has always harbored doubts (and eventually, hate) toward this iconic, omnipotent figure whom he nor anyone has met. After being physically and emotionally broken, he comes to love the very being that has led him to his demise--Big Brother.

And for me, my favorite theme was the the helplessness of the entire novel from start to finish.
I thought the ending was terrible and a total cop-out. :\

It was like the whole book was leading up to this climactic moment and it just falls flat.
(Jul. 26, 2009  4:40 AM)Roan Wrote: I thought the ending was terrible and a total cop-out. :\

It was like the whole book was leading up to this climactic moment and it just falls flat.

Can you explain that? I thought the ending served the book fairly well.
Well the last few chapters of the book really felt like they were building up to something impactful, but then the ending comes around and it's just like "Winston accepts Big Brother".

Um... What? I mean, I understand he went through brutal torture at the hands of the Party throughout the last half of the book but I don't know... I just felt like the ending was poorly written and it felt really rushed.
That's really not the impression I got from it. It felt more to me like the inevitable ending of that book. In the end, 1984 is intended to be a cautionary tale of hopelessness. Like Artie said, I felt really helpless throughout the entirety of the book. While it may have been more "fulfilling" that Orwell had somehow toppled Big Brother, 1984 is a book that by its design is intended to leave you feeling empty and disrupted.

By the way guys, you don't need to spoiler a book this old. lol
(Jul. 26, 2009  4:38 AM)Artie Wrote: It was more powerful (and tragic) the way Orwell had it happen--here is a man who has always harbored doubts (and eventually, hate) toward this iconic, omnipotent figure whom he nor anyone has met. After being physically and emotionally broken, he comes to love the very being that has led him to his demise--Big Brother.

Yeah, I totally agree. It wouldn't have the same meaning if it had ended hopefully [which really is just some cliche happy ending, but I hoped for lol].
Though I never thought of Winstons story as tragic, but thats what it was.

I think I have one fav early on; Newspeak for one and the concept that in the future a conversation such as between Winston and Syme would be impossible.
but really I liked the whole last half.

I'm trading 1984 soon with a friend to get Brave New World. stoked for that

*EDIT: Just to clarify, I too accept the ending. It is the logical ending and more significant this way. I just did not like it. I'd rather see winston die a martyr...that would be a shred of hope.
I will say that almost all of the time I prefer books to have a happy ending because "tragic" endings generally seem really contrived. I don't know if anyone here has read His Dark Materials, but without giving anything away, the ending left me with a bad taste in my mouth because it felt designed to pull at the heart strings of the reader with no strong reasoning for the sad outcome.

1984's ending was not contrived in any sense of the word. It ended the only way it could have.
I did my thesis on dystopian literature (based directly on Brave New World, Anthem, We, and 1984) in my final year of high school. I'm a big fan of the genre.

I agree with Brad about how the ending played out. There truly was no other possible outcome given the insurmountable odds put against Winston. Most times, the endings for these types of stories end unfavorably for the protagonist anyway.

I frequently joke with my friend that Aldous Huxley wasn't trying to critique society when he wrote Brave New World, but was rather coming up with his own, ideal solution to society. If you're familiar with Huxley as a person, you'll find out that he and his wife were swingers, and he was a big promoter of drugs (such as LSD). Truly, the controlled lives of the people in this literary universe were the most tolerable of any other in the genre. Tongue_out
1984 was written in such a way that it could not have ended in any other matter. Winston in the book fought for his whole life against it, and as you read in the book even has to fight the thing he fears most in life. The idea of the ending is to show that in a society that has the government with complete control, they literally have it and if your not under it, they find a way. With the ending written as it was it was to show that Big Brother was bad, but that they had not only succeeded but would continue too past Winston and with other people that there was no hope. The ending was not rushed nor was it distasteful, its an amazing piece of literature far better than animal farm which some people like to compare it too. It was published with that ending and thats the way it was meant to be.
I'm gonna pick this up today for free reading, hopefully I'll be able to like it =D

*had to rapidly scroll down as to avoid spoilers*

EditGrinamn, I just bought it and while I was walking back to the exit of the bookstore I noticed "required reading for local schools" and saw 1984 on it D=

I wouldn't of bought it if I was just going to end up getting a free borrow from the school district later.
(Aug. 01, 2009  9:10 PM)t3haxle Wrote: I wouldn't of bought it if I was just going to end up getting a free borrow from the school district later.

It's a great book, I don't think you'll regret purchasing it after you've read it.
Omg I just started it and you're right.
Read it, watched the first movie.
Wrote a fiction-based story to get an A+ on my 1st term final.
Winston rules. Tongue_out