My attempt at Photo Editing

Let me get something out of the way, while I have always appreciated the arts I have never been very good at them. Nonetheless I occasionally get the urge to mess around with things. I have currently loaded GIMP on my computer ( To cheap to get Photoshop), and started to try and learn to make my own avatars and sigs. This is my first time editing anything, and I was wondering what you guys think. Also seeing as this board has its fair share of art oriented people it would be a good place to get some pointers.

Edit: I can't seem to find a text to place near the supernova to write DGMS (They all look Tacky)
Attached Files
Thumbnail(s)

the flare at the bottom is a little much
Fair enough, what are some other ways to increase the light in the lower right. It seems to come out too dark on its own.
there should be a lighting effects filter
I got rid of it (supernova), and shall continue to work on it tomorrow.
Attached Files
Thumbnail(s)

I like it tbh, but in the place where it was you can clearly see 2 strokes that you shouldn't be able to see
I've never used GIMP, but to me it looks as if you just applied a filter to the image. Not that it looks bad or anything, its just that is what it looks like.

You should really consider "obtaining" Photoshop, if you know what I mean.
(Feb. 15, 2009  11:21 PM)Kei Wrote: I've never used GIMP, but to me it looks as if you just applied a filter to the image. Not that it looks bad or anything, its just that is what it looks like.

You should really consider "obtaining" Photoshop, if you know what I mean.

It is mostly just a mixture of filters, and playing around with settings. I can admit to that with no shame. i have obtained photoshop for my mom's mac, I have just been too damn lazy to get it for my PC. Will do so in a couple of weeks and try again.
Personally, I would steer clear of filters. They makes images look carp. Adjust the levels and use burn and dodge =D.
Who made your avartar because that looks good.
(Feb. 16, 2009  3:29 PM)KidTala Wrote: Who made your avartar because that looks good.

Brad gave it to me!
Isn't your avatar the same pic. from the Death Gargoyle MS article =P
(Feb. 16, 2009  3:22 PM)BeyUK-Espio Wrote: Personally, I would steer clear of filters. They makes images look carp. Adjust the levels and use burn and dodge =D.

I will definitely keep that in mind. Thanks Espio!

And Aqua 24 yes it is based of the same one.