Mathematics

With the permission of Kai-V, I have created this thread dedicated to numeracy in general, but more towards problem solving. No, I am not some retard hobo who needs homework done, I'm (nearly) 21 and am doing pretty well in life. Math opens doors, and I find it essential to stimulate your mind everyday, so if you don't like math, live with it but I assure you won't get very far in life.

Problem 1 (Easy):
On a game show, this guy will win if he can work out the mystery number.

The host says that the mystery number is the largest 7 digit number you can make assuming no two digits are the same, and each number divides evenly into that number. eg. no 9999999 etc and if you had a number like 9876543, 9 would have to go into that number with no remainders, 8 would have to and so on.
You can choose from these numbers: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 0
I have set out some guidelines to help you, but if you choose to do it your own way, then so be it, but show your working.

The guide...
Don't warn me if im wrong but I will give this my best shot. Okay here goes I pick 3 9876543 okay 9+8=17 17+7=24 24+6=30 30+5=35 35+4=39 39+3=42 42+2=44 44+1=45

now if 3 goes into 45 im right

4+5=9 and 9 goes into 3 so its divisible =)
math.......it kills me.....head hurts right now.....aurghh
I'll give it a shot. 9876103
(Mar. 30, 2011  1:25 PM)bigbangpegasis9 Wrote: math.......it kills me.....head hurts right now.....aurghh

Either contribute to the actual topic, or just don't post at all.
Admittedly, Kai-V likes mathematics. That's probably why she approved this.

I like math a little. I don't like graphing though. Stuff like 3x*4(7-20)=40 (just some random numbers I came up with, yet the answer is -4.) Just stuff like that. Graphing takes to long and is a pain in my rear end.
Im Carp At Maths Its My Worse Subject I Only Like Trigonometry
Oki and other mods, I find it concering that some people just guess, maths is about working, not guessing. May I ask that guesses be some sort of an offence aswell, as they are most likely wrong, and if correct even do not meet requirements or something?

Nano I'm rather quick at all types of arithmatic, especially graphing. Have you considered practicing?
A NOTE: French is my third language after arabic, and I can speak rather fluently. If you want a translation, feel free to PM me.
A HINT: Number must end in a 2.
Could you please change the question to alebra or interges because youe question is unclear and
Ununderstandable.
(Mar. 30, 2011  9:28 PM)Bakers Dozen Wrote: Could you please change the question to alebra or interges because youe question is unclear and
Ununderstandable.

considering the way you've written this post it probably isn't worth his time accommodating any of your needs
Just to start a little philosophical discussion:
To the OP, I must disagree with you when you post that math is necessary to stimulate the mind everyday for everyone, and it is definitely not the only key to success. I'm good at math, aceing AP Calculus as a senior, but know a lot of people who just can't get math, it doesn't resonate with the way their mind works (studies have been shown that a very high percentage of kids just can't seem to be able to grasp the essence of math and it in no way means they are educationally deficient. I myself am more inclined towards English and philosophy, and even though I personally see the connection between math and English and how they can resonate with each other, many cannot and you can't just say that all of those people won't be successful. Math isn't the end all be all of learning and the world, your brain needs to be stimulated in more ways than just in math if you want to be truly well-rounded (that's what I believe separates the genius from the smart person (not directing that comment at OP, since I don't know anything about your other accolades, just pointing out my opinion)).

Here is my shot at the question:
After some work and reasoning on a separate sheet of paper, the number I came up with is:

I know it works, and I'm almost positive it is the largest number that could work.
(Mar. 30, 2011  11:35 AM)pichu0909 Wrote: Problem 1 (Easy):
On a game show, this guy will win if he can work out the mystery number.

The host says that the mystery number is the largest 7 digit number you can make assuming no two digits are the same, and each number divides evenly into that number. eg. no 9999999 etc and if you had a number like 9876543, 9 would have to go into that number with no remainders, 8 would have to and so on.
You can choose from these numbers: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 0
I have set out some guidelines to help you, but if you choose to do it your own way, then so be it, but show your working.

Hm...if that's the case, then 1 may have to be removed. ANything divided by 1 will always be that number (a / 1 = a). That leaves 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, and 0. 0 Would also have to be removed because 0 divided by anything would always equals 0 (0 / a = 0), and you can't divide by 0 (a / 0 =/= 0).

3 and 9 can't be put together because 9 is 3 squared (3^2), or 3 times 3.

In the end, I had to look at the spoilers...and I have to rule out what i said about 1. Though 5 must be eliminated because anything ending in 0 except 0 itself are multiples of 5. After this, I'm pretty stuck.

I'm trying not to look at the spoilers because I don't want to cheat (I deleted them quickly without looking). But can you clarify this question a little more? If each number divides evenly, does that mean the third digit to the left would be the answer of the first two digits, and then the digit following that will divide into the 5th digit? If so, then...
@ Kaji Motomiya:
Unless I didn't understand the original prompt, it just has to be a 7 digit number that has no repeating digits and the number must be divisible by each of the 7 digits that it is composed of.
Oh, DIVISIBLE. I thought they meant that they had to be DIVIDED by. Okay, I'm gonna try this again.

So based on what I just found out, my answer will probably be similar SaMaster12. However, I might have to rearrange the numbers.

The numbers I will be using are 1, 2, 3, 6, 7, 8, and 9, the same as what SaMaster12 is using.

However, the problem in his answer is that the number cannot be divided by 7. If the reasoning states that 2 has to be the in the Units digit for the X (the mystery number) to be able to be divided from, then the only way for X to be divisible by 7 is to make sure the number is divisible by 6, 42 (6 * 7 = 42), and multiples of 42.
ahh, how did I miss that! lol. I thought it was divisible by 7... I must have plugged something in wrong.. to tired to try again right now.
You are correct on many levels, sMaster, but something certaintly is wrong with a few of your points. Its true that mathematical arithmatic isn't the only form of stimulation, but when you say succeed in that manner, it sounds like your standard for success is becoming a shopkeeper. (no offence to any people who work as one)

Math accounts for a very large portion of your VCE, and the only type of success is getting either a high pay job (Doctor etc) or being a great athlete/musician etc (what you meant?) I'm rather fond of English as well, and the three most important subjects for leaving with a job that requires strong academic knowledge are indeed, English, Math and Science.

Anyway, end of my rant.

Here are the numbers you must choose from to work out the number. (another hint)

1 2 3 6 7 8 9

0 goes infinitely into any number.
If five is part of the number, five needs to have odd numbers surrounding it, since 0 is eliminated. If 5 X Odd number ends in five, and there are only 3 odd numbers left to choose when you need 6, you cannot make the number, therefore 5 and 0 are eliminated.
Its impossible to eliminate 9 without breaking the divisibility rule.
4 must be eliminated. the sum of a numbers digits must be divisible by three to see if that number is divisible by three. eg 134 1+3+4= 8 8 is not divisble by three so 134 is not aswell. the same goes for 9, except the sum needs to be divisible by 9. since the sum of all the digits excluding 5 and 0 is 40, 4 needs to be eliminated to make 36 a number divisible by both 3 and 9.
take the 2nd digit of the LCM of 8 and 7 and stick it between them. (6) hope that makes it easier.

Take note of this. 1 cannot be eliminated.
Actually even i got 8,631,792
Well, it has been proven incorrect, and it is mos certaintly not the largest number. Show your working or I will assume you copied his answer.
aw man, i wish i was good at math, its not that it was hard i just didnt feel like doing it in school. though i would see about giving it a try later on tonight if i can get my brain to work.

though have you ever thaught of the kinetic problem?gravity and Energy in Motion 2x speed=4x E in M i think it might help some people with working math into the beyblade equation. yet i am unsure if the equation is even correct maybe you might know better than me, and people might like learning this.
Actually, my dad works as a business manager, and grosses about $1million a year, personal salary ... sure he has to do basic arithmetic, but in no way was he ever good at math, he never even took calculus... My godfather, a strong businessman and entrepreneur owns 11 businesses, and one of his best friends and partners is worth $3 billion ... never even took any form of higher math. Same goes for some other family members I have... Doing well in business, being a CEO, business management, etc etc... if you have the right calculator or computer, or if your brain is just programmed to run a business, you really don't need math to succeed. Sure, as I said, its a great thing to have, but the most successful people didn't get to where they are today solely through math... and yes, some did, but its not the only way.

In my honest opinion, being so closed minded as to say math is the only way (or saying any one thing is the only way) is the downfall of any attempts at success. You must be open minded and try EVERY way, be creative, see all the openings, and create something from nothing.

I live where people just think "success and fame" (Beverly Hills) and have so many connections to people worth money that even I can't even comprehend at times... and math certainly has not played a role in all of their successes.

I like math, but I don't think I will use higher math in the business opportunities that I engage in, but I know that I will be as successful, if not more successful, than all of my family members.
I agree with you SaMaster14
(Mar. 31, 2011  8:43 PM)Brielyranger Wrote: I agree with you SaMaster14

Thanks haha, and I did prove it with examples... I don't know any shopkeeper who makes close to $1million a year :p
Being a shopkeeper is not that bad. At least you have a job. Many people dont even have a job.
Hah, didn't even notice there wasn't a topic on this. I'm actually a 'prodigy' in math, so to speak. I'm in 9th grade and taking 11Honors math (Pre-Calc). Now, most people would think, "That's not big of an achievement. I've seen better." So have I. But what makes me different is that while others went to CTY (Center for Talented Youth) and took math courses there, therefore giving them the credit they need to pass a course, or LISG (Long Island School for the Gifted), where they were accelerated multiple times with heavy-duty education and thrown back into the curriculum with accelerated in almost all of their courses, or some other program. I didn't. I did so well in the public school system where I go that I was recommended to go to a higher level, which is why I'm known as a prodigy. Plus, I'm a grade ahead in English. Tongue_out But let's see about that problem... (will be edited with answer that I get eventually)

GOT IT! Here: 9867312, this is the largest I can get.
(Mar. 31, 2011  8:38 PM)SaMaster14 Wrote: Actually, my dad works as a business manager, and grosses about $1million a year, personal salary ... sure he has to do basic arithmetic, but in no way was he ever good at math, he never even took calculus... My godfather, a strong businessman and entrepreneur owns 11 businesses, and one of his best friends and partners is worth $3 billion ... never even took any form of higher math. Same goes for some other family members I have... Doing well in business, being a CEO, business management, etc etc... if you have the right calculator or computer, or if your brain is just programmed to run a business, you really don't need math to succeed. Sure, as I said, its a great thing to have, but the most successful people didn't get to where they are today solely through math... and yes, some did, but its not the only way.

In my honest opinion, being so closed minded as to say math is the only way (or saying any one thing is the only way) is the downfall of any attempts at success. You must be open minded and try EVERY way, be creative, see all the openings, and create something from nothing.

I live where people just think "success and fame" (Beverly Hills) and have so many connections to people worth money that even I can't even comprehend at times... and math certainly has not played a role in all of their successes.

I like math, but I don't think I will use higher math in the business opportunities that I engage in, but I know that I will be as successful, if not more successful, than all of my family members.

I do not think anybody will take your family as the norm though. Doing a few advanced mathematic classes definitely opens a lot more doors in an education system like in Canada. Of course, there are some careers like being a lawyer that do not even require you to take natural sciences courses and can still get you a huge salary. However, grasping such abstract concepts as there can often be in mathematics is never a bad aspect for intelligence in general, and unless you go for some exceptions in society, the average person who wants to get a great, paying job will have to consider mathematics in their scholarship.