MFB PHW only format?

This is an entirely random thought, but as far as I know, there isn't a PHW-only format for MFB. In Limited, the only common PHW part is Pegasis. Sometimes you'll see Leone or Virgo, but as far as I know, it isn't common. I think a PHW-only MFB format would be interesting, as it'd allow for the exploration of combos using some very unused parts. Off the top of my head, the only wheel being banned would probably be Libra, as it's generally overpowered. Track and tip bans would likely carry over from Limited as well; BD145, SA165, E230, and SP230 for tracks with RDF and RS for tips. 

This is my first time thinking over a concept like this, or posting on WBO in general, so thoughts and advice are much appreciated!!
(Jan. 16, 2023  6:05 AM)ParadoxPossum Wrote: This is an entirely random thought, but as far as I know, there isn't a PHW-only format for MFB. In Limited, the only common PHW part is Pegasis. Sometimes you'll see Leone or Virgo, but as far as I know, it isn't common. I think a PHW-only MFB format would be interesting, as it'd allow for the exploration of combos using some very unused parts. Off the top of my head, the only wheel being banned would probably be Libra, as it's generally overpowered. Track and tip bans would likely carry over from Limited as well; BD145, SA165, E230, and SP230 for tracks with RDF and RS for tips. 

This is my first time thinking over a concept like this, or posting on WBO in general, so thoughts and advice are much appreciated!!

It sounds great as a concept, however PHW stuff isn't really as common in the sense that much people don't go out of their ways to own it. I believe PHW beys have their special place in MFL and add to the great variety of parts. It wouldn't be ideal to restrict it too much honestly. For an entire event maybe.

I also don't understand the ban on RS. Not a very overpowered part considering it's low for stamina. Maybe you meant MS, the tip banned from WBO in general.

The meta might mostly consist of Pegasis, Aquario, Virgo, and Leone (the most common ones I've seen around here). Maybe other stuff might be able to shine?
(Jan. 16, 2023  6:13 AM)Cindercast Wrote:
(Jan. 16, 2023  6:05 AM)ParadoxPossum Wrote: This is an entirely random thought, but as far as I know, there isn't a PHW-only format for MFB. In Limited, the only common PHW part is Pegasis. Sometimes you'll see Leone or Virgo, but as far as I know, it isn't common. I think a PHW-only MFB format would be interesting, as it'd allow for the exploration of combos using some very unused parts. Off the top of my head, the only wheel being banned would probably be Libra, as it's generally overpowered. Track and tip bans would likely carry over from Limited as well; BD145, SA165, E230, and SP230 for tracks with RDF and RS for tips. 

It sounds great as a concept, however PHW stuff isn't really as common in the sense that much people don't go out of their ways to own it. I believe PHW beys have their special place in MFL and add to the great variety of parts. It wouldn't be ideal to restrict it too much honestly. For an entire event maybe.

I also don't understand the ban on RS. Not a very overpowered part considering it's low for stamina. Maybe you meant MS, the tip banned from WBO in general.

The meta might mostly consist of Pegasis, Aquario, Virgo, and Leone (the most common ones I've seen around here). Maybe other stuff might be able to shine?

Oh, yeah, MS. Bleh, words. That's true with pre-hybrid stuff not being common part-wise. I've personally been a big fan of pre-hybrid stuff, but I don't live in an area with tournaments and stuff easily available, so I haven't been able to properly test stuff out myself. Though I plan on possibly flying out and attending stuff in the future.

I wish people would try out PHW stuff more often in MFL combos. Sagittario on 230CS instead of Flame 230CS could be really neat to see, or something like MF-H Pisces 90CS as a defense combo.
It would be interesting to try for an event or two, though I might allow hybrid wheels like Counter and Cyber so those people that lack their PHW equivalents can stand a chance at playing. This may even allow for Infinity/Thunder to make an appearance, as it's significantly worse than Libra and by no means breaks the game.

Still, there's a general lack of Defense wheels here that gives me pause. There's a lot of attack options like Wolf, Pegasis, and Saggitario, maybe even L-Drago if you're adventurous enough to try. Stamina has Pisces and Virgo, and Virgo probably takes the tall 230CS position instead of Saggitario. Defense has... Escolpio maybe? Infinity/Thunder if they're allowed. Leone isn't really pure Defense as much as it is Anti-Attack, so that's a different sort of niche. Either way, my point is that it becomes a difficult game to stop attack with in general, and I fear that this lack of Defense would screw with the balance.

Fun idea to think about, but it really needs some testing to see if it even works or if people just spam Pegasis RF and win without trying.

And in regards to your Saggitario and Pisces combo you mentioned, Pisces really doesn't have the Defense to make CS work out. It's too easily swatted aside, even on rubber Defense tips. Saggitario is way too prone from below, unlike Flame, and so I think Virgo is flat out a better option to Saggitario for that strategy.
I don’t think there is one but you could make one
(Jan. 16, 2023  8:51 PM)MagikHorse Wrote: It would be interesting to try for an event or two, though I might allow hybrid wheels like Counter and Cyber so those people that lack their PHW equivalents can stand a chance at playing. This may even allow for Infinity/Thunder to make an appearance, as it's significantly worse than Libra and by no means breaks the game.

Still, there's a general lack of Defense wheels here that gives me pause. There's a lot of attack options like Wolf, Pegasis, and Saggitario, maybe even L-Drago if you're adventurous enough to try. Stamina has Pisces and Virgo, and Virgo probably takes the tall 230CS position instead of Saggitario. Defense has... Escolpio maybe? Infinity/Thunder if they're allowed. Leone isn't really pure Defense as much as it is Anti-Attack, so that's a different sort of niche. Either way, my point is that it becomes a difficult game to stop attack with in general, and I fear that this lack of Defense would screw with the balance.

Fun idea to think about, but it really needs some testing to see if it even works or if people just spam Pegasis RF and win without trying.

And in regards to your Saggitario and Pisces combo you mentioned, Pisces really doesn't have the Defense to make CS work out. It's too easily swatted aside, even on rubber Defense tips. Saggitario is way too prone from below, unlike Flame, and so I think Virgo is flat out a better option to Saggitario for that strategy.

Allowing Cyber, Counter, Infinity/Thunder, and potentially the other hybrid wheel remakes could be a good idea. Those are more common, at least with Cyber and Counter, I think. As for defense, I do agree there could be issues with it. In a event with this sort of restriction/formatting, Pegasis RF could get a bit spammy. I could see RF and R2F potentially being banned in combination with Pegasis, which could probably still perform well on MF or the wider plastic flat tips. Escolpio and Infinity/Thunder would essentially be the only defense options, since Leone is more suited for anti-attack, as you said. That's still an issue to tackle, though I could see Night or Capricorne on RB potentially padding it out a little. Not sure how well either of those would work in reality though. As you said, needs some testing.

I'm in the process of rebuilding my collection, which is fairly slow since I don't have a ton of extra income, so it'll probably take me a while to test stuff out. Still gonna do it though, eventually.
You could even limit it to only parts released before the hybrid wheel system. Or perhaps restrict it to only plastic parts. This might help compensate for the general uncompetitiveness of a lot of the wheels.