Indie Rock

Anyone know of any good indie artists? We can use this topic to discuss indie artists, new and old.

Some of my favorites are Quasi, Neutral Milk Hotel, Modest Mouse, Bright Eyes, and Death Cab For Cutie.

I just started listening to Quasi last week, and man I am blown away with these guys. They have this amazing harpsichord synth that is used throughout their album "Featuring Birds".
Indie just means it was not released on a major record label. As a genre it has many meanings and sounds, but it is usually just used a blanket term for non-major releases.

Indie can range from the poppy and tame - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YgHzEqGEywA
to unique - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Qi7KDOAj4Xo
to just plain bizarre - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=usSHBgeE_ks

The last band is actually an Indie Rock band, but they are on an Indie Label. That type of music is considered Math Rock, meaning a lot of strange time signatures.
hmm how about suicide silence, bring me the horizon, cannibal corpse, avenged sevenfold, bullet for my valentine, as i lay dying, escape the fate....
(Dec. 13, 2010  12:15 PM)ShadowsA7X Wrote: hmm how about suicide silence, bring me the horizon, cannibal corpse, avenged sevenfold, bullet for my valentine, as i lay dying, escape the fate....

Uncertain

absolutely not indie
(Dec. 13, 2010  9:08 PM)♥ Wrote:
(Dec. 13, 2010  12:15 PM)ShadowsA7X Wrote: hmm how about suicide silence, bring me the horizon, cannibal corpse, avenged sevenfold, bullet for my valentine, as i lay dying, escape the fate....

Uncertain

absolutely not indie

:\

absolutely not................I think Bring Me The Horizon might be the furthest thing from indie rock I've heard. Pinching_eyes
mgmt, ratatat, band of horses, dinosaur jr, the temper trap and the xx Smile

also miami horror, they're not really rock but they're indie
(Dec. 14, 2010  4:02 AM)mr. rager Wrote: mgmt, ratatat, band of horses, dinosaur jr, the temper trap and the xx Smile

Andrew and Ben of MGMT hate being called an indie band, but they are really unique. One of my favorite bands ever.

Ratatat is great! I've been told to check out Band of Horses, what songs do you suggest?
(Dec. 14, 2010  8:49 PM)Evan Wrote:
(Dec. 14, 2010  4:02 AM)mr. rager Wrote: mgmt, ratatat, band of horses, dinosaur jr, the temper trap and the xx Smile

Andrew and Ben of MGMT hate being called an indie band, but they are really unique. One of my favorite bands ever.

Ratatat is great! I've been told to check out Band of Horses, what songs do you suggest?
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ibE7IqEjni4
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wrSqek4K_O4
I've seen commercials featuring cell phones, couple recently with indie music. One LG phone commercial had this horrifying garbage in the background. It sounded like Lisa Simpson singing.

Judging from the basic definition of Indie, that means Indie does not have to include horrifying unintelligible nonsense. As a stereotype at least.
(Dec. 18, 2010  6:05 AM)REtread Wrote: I've seen commercials featuring cell phones, couple recently with indie music. One LG phone commercial had this horrifying garbage in the background. It sounded like Lisa Simpson singing.

Judging from the basic definition of Indie, that means Indie does not have to include horrifying unintelligible nonsense. As a stereotype at least.

Indie usually isn't unintelligible nonsense. A lot of recent indie music has been much better than today's pop or alternative rock. Better meaning, more thought out lyrics, NOT using the same chord progressions, and unique sounds\textures.

But granted, a lot of hipster indie music is awful.

EDIT: mr.rager I listened to what you posted and didn't care for it at all :\ I listened to "Our Swords" and it was a bit better.
I can't believe no one in this thread has mentioned Bloc Party... They're an amazing group. Their singer, Kele, released a solo album as well called "The Boxer" and it's great too.

See also: The Mars Volta, Brand New, Phoenix, Colour Revolt, Lydia, The National (their album "High Violet" is incredible), Portugal. The Man, RADIOHEAD (I'm sure they aren't considered indie anymore, but I don't care, they're still amazing and more creative than 99% of music groups these days).
I did not know Bloc Party was an Indie band? Helicopter is one of their best songs ever. Or whatever it was called.
(Dec. 19, 2010  1:45 AM)REtread Wrote: I did not know Bloc Party was an Indie band? Helicopter is one of their best songs ever. Or whatever it was called.

What else would you classify them as? lol
(Dec. 18, 2010  4:12 PM)Roan Wrote: I can't believe no one in this thread has mentioned Bloc Party... They're an amazing group. Their singer, Kele, released a solo album as well called "The Boxer" and it's great too.

See also: The Mars Volta, Brand New, Phoenix, Colour Revolt, Lydia, The National (their album "High Violet" is incredible), Portugal. The Man, RADIOHEAD (I'm sure they aren't considered indie anymore, but I don't care, they're still amazing and more creative than 99% of music groups these days).

I don't care about Radiohead's classification either. They are amazing. The Mars Volta and Pheonix are pretty good too.

I've never heard of Portugal, but the band Portugal the Man is really, really good.
(Dec. 19, 2010  9:50 PM)Evan Wrote: I've never heard of Portugal, but the band Portugal the Man is really, really good.

Not sure if you're trolling me here, but Portugal. The Man actually has a period in their band name -- just saying. lol
(Dec. 20, 2010  5:13 AM)Roan Wrote:
(Dec. 19, 2010  9:50 PM)Evan Wrote: I've never heard of Portugal, but the band Portugal the Man is really, really good.

Not sure if you're trolling me here, but Portugal. The Man actually has a period in their band name -- just saying. lol

Oh man. I totally missed the "The Man" section of your post, I'm sorry man hahaha. Wow I feel dumb. But yes. Portugal. The Man is really good, really good.
I just started listening to Arcade Fire. I don't have a very broad musical tastes yet but I see they seem to be called indie rock, and they're pretty cool. Not to mention they're from my country, yays. Maybe I'll buy "Funeral" if I can find it.