I agree with Takao-sensei..

I'm a native Japanese. Recently, I visited Aoki Takao. We didn't really talk about Beyblade more so than we talked about art. Seemingly, he doesn't like the new MFB series, and I kinda' agree. I mean, according to him, the MFB are just the successor of the HMS with a few minor adjustments, and needless to say the manga is inferior compared to the original. His favorite Beyblade is Driger S, so you could see that he's a pretty smart person. So now I'm asking you people. What do YOU think is better? The original Beyblade manga or the MFB one?
i like the mfb but i go with the original
I like them both, but to be honest I never considered the original manga to be a masterpiece. It was entertaining yes, but so is the new one. The only difficulty I have with the new one is the language. However it is a comic, so pictures can give a pretty good explanation.
Honestly I don't see the appeal in MFB...I mean if you compare it to the art and scenes of the original, then it's just..a generic Corocoro manga..But then again, this is the creator of Duel Masters we're talking about..
How is the manga inferior to the previous Bakuten Shoot Beyblade one ? Adachi Takafumi has a drawing style that he has every right to use, especially since Beyblade is aimed for young boys, and he keeps discussing with his boss about the plot and the characters, so if there was something TAKARA-TOMY thought would bring them a step backward, I am sure they would make him change it.
Maybe I will get seriously flamed for this, but I honestly did not find the art from the original to be better. Sure it is nice, but it never made me go 'WOW'. I will disclose that I have never been a manga enthusiast, so I realize I am no expert in the field. Frankly I am more excited for the anime than the manga.
What did you expect him to say? Yeah MFB is far superior to My own works :\ I think this should be moved to the A&M Forum
(Mar. 13, 2009  10:28 PM)Arjun Wrote: Maybe I will get seriously flamed for this, but I honestly did not find the art from the original to be better. Sure it is nice, but it never made me go 'WOW'. I will disclose that I have never been a manga enthusiast, so I realize I am no expert in the field. Frankly I am more excited for the anime than the manga.

Agreed.
I can understand where Takayanagi-san is coming from, but personally, I think Adachi Takafumi is an amazing artist. And, I may be a little bias here, but I'm really enjoying the MFB serie's manga so far. Also, I'm surprised Aoki Takao doesn't like the MFB series either. If I remeber correctly, I think Adachi Takafumi said he studied the initial series closely to have a familiarity for returning fans.
I don't really consider them to be the same work, like how I'd view a manga and it's anime adaptions as differents works. New characters, new art style, new storyline, new beyblades......it's not like you can really compare them too much.

Sure Aoki-san invented the story and such.....but it's not like spinning tops weren't around or even popular before he came along. He just took something and made it that bit better. It's a great idea but it's not like you can call it all his own work.

I guess if I had to choose I'd say I preferred the original. But thats purely because I know it well and it was a part of my childhood. I haven't read enough of the new series for it to have that same impact on me so it's not really a fair judgement.

As for the art......I generally prefer more detailed stuff but both artists styles have their own appeal. Art is subjective anyways.....
(Mar. 13, 2009  10:54 PM)shikamaru526 Wrote: Also, I'm surprised Aoki Takao doesn't like the MFB series either.

It's a shame he feels that way but I'm not excatly suprised. I'd probably feel the same way.
I'm not sure it's fair to say that MFB is the succession of HMS with a few minor adjustments. If anything, it seems to be a combination of the Plastic series and the HMS series. Either way, there's only so revolutionary you can get with the design of a spinning top, so some similarity to the previous series is expected.

I think it's pretty arrogant to say, "... needless to say, the manga is inferior to the original ..." I have news for Aoki-san: the original Beyblade manga was not very good. The art was awkward. The plot wasn't great. It was a children's manga, and I would hope that's not gone to his head. Takafumi-san's artwork is better, and I think, so far, his plot is better; rather than trying to ground his story in reality, but introducing fantastical elements that seem bizarre and out of place, the new series is completely grounded in fantasy and that works for it.

Frankly though, I don't care what Aoki-san thinks about the new series. He's probably bitter because he wasn't tapped to do the new series; instead, Takara-Tomy tapped Takafumi-san, who has an incredibly successful track record with Duel Masters. Make no mistake, Takafumi's artwork and writing won't win any awards -- it's a kid series -- but he's shown that he obviously knows his audience and how to appeal to them. This sounds like sour grapes on Aoki's part and little else.
well i like both because i grew up with the orignal but i really like the new mfb plot and i think the anime looks the best but i like the hybrid wheel system the best
I lost some respect for Aoki Takao.....
Anyway, fully agree with everything Brad said. Nothing much else to add.
I do like MFB best, though. Plastics were great and I still love them for nostalgia and all, but Beyblade is finally back. We should support it as much as we possibly can.
(Mar. 13, 2009  10:27 PM)Kai-V Wrote: How is the manga inferior to the previous Bakuten Shoot Beyblade one ? Adachi Takafumi has a drawing style that he has every right to use, especially since Beyblade is aimed for young boys, and he keeps discussing with his boss about the plot and the characters, so if there was something TAKARA-TOMY thought would bring them a step backward, I am sure they would make him change it.

You OBVIOUSLY didn't get what I meant. I just think the art style is better. The plot is..whatever I guess.

(Mar. 13, 2009  10:43 PM)Giga Wrote: What did you expect him to say? Yeah MFB is far superior to My own works :\ I think this should be moved to the A&M Forum

I'm sorry? What was that? What I expected him to say? I expected him to say whatever the hell he felt like saying. He has freedom of speech. You talk like a series creator never even put down his own work before another when in reality, there have been many to do this..

(Mar. 13, 2009  11:31 PM)Bey Brad Wrote: I'm not sure it's fair to say that MFB is the succession of HMS with a few minor adjustments. If anything, it seems to be a combination of the Plastic series and the HMS series. Either way, there's only so revolutionary you can get with the design of a spinning top, so some similarity to the previous series is expected.

I think it's pretty arrogant to say, "... needless to say, the manga is inferior to the original ..." I have news for Aoki-san: the original Beyblade manga was not very good. The art was awkward. The plot wasn't great. It was a children's manga, and I would hope that's not gone to his head. Takafumi-san's artwork is better, and I think, so far, his plot is better; rather than trying to ground his story in reality, but introducing fantastical elements that seem bizarre and out of place, the new series is completely grounded in fantasy and that works for it.

Frankly though, I don't care what Aoki-san thinks about the new series. He's probably bitter because he wasn't tapped to do the new series; instead, Takara-Tomy tapped Takafumi-san, who has an incredibly successful track record with Duel Masters. Make no mistake, Takafumi's artwork and writing won't win any awards -- it's a kid series -- but he's shown that he obviously knows his audience and how to appeal to them. This sounds like sour grapes on Aoki's part and little else.

I'm sorry to tell you this but...The original manga was made for the soul purpose of marketing the actual toys, which is why the plot was simple and plain. Metal Fight actually takes the toys..and builds a story using the surreal Duel Masters formula which includes non-human characters doing human things, generic story, and other factors which are basically making mountains out of mole hills. He tries to do what the writers of G-Revolution did;make spinning top battles hardcore enough to do the impossible...

The fact that you even say that Adachi Takafumi's art style is better is pretty weird IMO. I find it sad that many people don't realize that his art style is pretty generic..Lemme' put it this way. Takafumi can take about...1-2 hours at the most to produce one chapter with his art, plus his use of tones are very amateur, and his lines are a JOKE. Aoki's art looks like effort was actually put into it, though his art seems very Tezuka-styled.

And if you want to talk about Duel Master track records..It was actually Matsumoto-sensei who did the first DM manga series, and Shogakukan basically decided to make multiple(short lived let me add) spin offs. Adachi just got into the mix. The only reason the manga is popular in the first place is because of Magic:The Gathering, which spawned Duel Masters, which spawned more manga to advertise the cards. Ergo the more Duel Master cards in RL, the more manga spin-offs you'll see.
Quote:The original manga was made for the soul purpose of marketing the actual toys, which is why the plot was simple and plain. Metal Fight actually takes the toys..and builds a story using the surreal Duel Masters formula which includes non-human characters doing human things, generic story, and other factors which are basically making mountains out of mole hills. He tries to do what the writers of G-Revolution did;make spinning top battles hardcore enough to do the impossible...

itt some dude who loves aoki takao a little too much tells me stuff i already know

the original beyblade series' story was incredibly generic as well, dare i say far moreso than this one. i'd rather a series about spinning tops be ridiculous from the get-go so i don't have to deal with being amazed later

also the tops in aoki takao's manga were ridiculous as well, or did you forget the end of the series where they started punching each other during beybattles
by the way i'm willing to bet you've never spoken to aoki takao

we have enough topics comparing the old series to the new series, this topic has been beaten to death and there's nothing left to discuss. this is subjective, either you like it or you don't. so i'm closing this since this user clearly only came here to troll us about the new series