I LOVE WBO!

(May. 17, 2009  12:21 PM)josh-jf Wrote: Lol imagine being on the recieving end of it. But im sure as a mod you have been pushed to tell someone off before, just not over a spelling mistake lol.

Edit: thats exactly right they just do their jobs. Not cause trouble for people.

I'm not going to take time out of my day to rip some one in half over a grammar error. If your thread titles are spelled correctly, and your posts are legible, then I have no incentive to reprimand you.

The only way I would say something is if all your post and threads 'r lyk8 ds'.

Not all people invest time into being grammatical virtuosos, and that's perfectly understandable.

(May. 17, 2009  12:24 PM)Giga Wrote: How can someone be so close minded. It is a mystery

By being a linguist with the maturity of a 12 year old .
Dang, I feel bad for you josh Unhappy. But you handled it in a mature way Grin. I on the other hand, would have told him off big time and been banned with a smile on my face.
Thanks hero SmileThats what i tried to do lol. I tried to defend myself and be a smartass back but without showing any signs that i was angry at all. Because i know that if i just went all out and started swearing at him he would have just blocked me and thats it where as this way i was insulting him more indirectly if that makes sense lol.
take solace in that the vast majority of the people on that website probs live in their mom's basement and have never danced with a girl before (boy howdy)
because there are some very very strict mods you cant say the little strict mods are not strict Confused
tbh i like all mods here. but there are those 2 who i find them somehow strict...
but whatever. good luck josh...
(May. 17, 2009  3:21 PM)pegasis Wrote: because there are some very very strict mods you cant say the little strict mods are not strict Confused
tbh i like all mods here. but there are those 2 who i find them somehow strict...
but whatever. good luck josh...

But we dont have strict mods. We only have mods who do their job, infact theres been times when its been their job to do something but their kind and moral side has shone through.
i just read some of it and boy i just want them all to burn in HELL.
yeah i must agree, i've never seen any of our mods as strict, they're always kind and helpful, doing whatever they can to make the site a better place
you havnt been through what i have been through. so you wont understand me... i really dont wanna talk about it.
Wow, what a carp. What annoyed me was that, if you're want to be that pedantic and get away with it, your posts need to be damned perfect. His were not. Sure, his posts made sense but some parts just didn't sound right. I know it's a matter of opinon, but there seemed to be needless intensifying, commas in the place of colons, blahblahblah.......

Hopefully some of the less eloquent members here can see how lucky they are......
(May. 17, 2009  3:31 PM)pegasis Wrote: you havnt been through what i have been through. so you wont understand me... i really dont wanna talk about it.

I havn't been through what you have because i don't get into trouble. They don't look to get you into trouble.

Oh by the way on the site i've officially copped a warning now for things that happened the other day. On the warning thread it says.

Warning for spelling/grammar and double posting. So now i double post een though that guy thats told me off has posted like 4 times in a row. Im so mad!
lol,i sometimes feel that they do look for me XD but am sure that isnt true...
and lmao about the double post.
Ah forget about him, honestly he's not worth putting the brain cells into thinking about
(May. 17, 2009  3:31 PM)pegasis Wrote: you havnt been through what i have been through. so you wont understand me... i really dont wanna talk about it.

I'm sorry to say that that is pretty much your own fault. I have been through some of it as well but I have to agree with what Josh said.
Can we not get into a discussion about how strict or not strict the mods here are? Regardless of whether people deserve it or not. It seems this thread is for laughing at less-than-decent mod on another forum and for appreciating what we have here. Whether our mods are stict or not, I'm sure you can agree that they are better than 'lost in thought'. We don't need to bring up old history regarding how they may have acted before and whether it was justified or not.
^ Rocky is exactly right. I dont see how Brad could have ever gone on this forum. I mean i guess he wouldnt have a problem with keeping with their rules and all. But still you would think he couldnt stand them, maybe thats why he left? lol hopefully he can answer that for us.
(May. 17, 2009  3:44 PM)Rocky Wrote: Can we not get into a discussion about how strict or not strict the mods here are? Regardless of whether people deserve it or not. It seems this thread is for laughing at less-than-decent mod on another forum and for appreciating what we have here. Whether our mods are stict or not, I'm sure you can agree that they are better than 'lost in thought'. We don't need to bring up old history regarding how they may have acted before and whether it was justified or not.

OK then and agreed. I don't go against mods anyway, no matter what forum it is because they are still members, they just keep the place together, improve it, help people anyway they can and so on.
To be fair "was'nt" "il" "alot" "un at eachother front" and general other minor grammar mistakes, along with the fact that you type walls of text at times.

I do think it's very unfair that the took such a stance against it though. Simply "could you brush up on your grammar a little?" would be fine in my opinion. Even better, just send a PM to the person. =]

All in all, people won't visit their site of they see people being harsh to new people, unless the community it specifically meant to be hard to get into (i.e. 4chan).

EDIT: In repsonse to how strict the mods are here I find that they're usually amazingly great! However just sometimes they can let their opinions get in the way of proper judgement or make posts that make people feel bad when they were trying to be nice. It also feels bad when some of the members back them up without even reading the last few posts or knowing the situation. It'd be nicer if it was more discrete and just the mods got involved unless the person was VERY clearly trolling or being horrible on purpose.

Overall they're very good though. I've got to say it really helps around the boards to have strict mods like this, that will still allow very minor things to slide that won't really matter (i.e. bad grammar; spelling). Thanks mods. =D
I cannot enumerate the immense amount of satisfaction I would get from strategically planting my foot in his carp.

Oh well; you'll all learn in time (if you have not already) that there are jerks out in the world. Just take it in stride and it'll work out.

I do think that this is a good reminder for some members to take heed the importance of spelling and grammer. It doesn't hurt to employ some of the things he (rudely) suggested. It makes the board much easier to read. The ability to effectively proofread your writing is an invaluable asset to have. Wink
Quote:The ability to effectively proofread your writing is an invaluable asset to have.

This is true, some people may be interested to note how much more seriously people take you if you tend to type things out with good grammar and spelling. This can be a good and bad thing though, people who are in a bad mood will generally go further to prove you wrong and it can be hard to make a joke when people take every single one of your posts seriously. =/

*tip: Use of smilies in moderation adds an interesting and personal touch to your posts. =D
Yeah i agree spelling and grammar is important and at times i've been to lazy to type full proper. However i do make sure that my writing is readable and im rather sure it has been.

However as i told him i understand that he expects better and like pikachao said if he merely asked me i would have been more than happy to try for him.

What i had a problem with was that in the very first comment he wrote and i might add to a new member. He already used the phrase "put my foot in your carp" (or whateer he said lol) but you get the general idea. But his one of those guys who is stubborn and the posts just got worse and worse.

Edit: with all the lol's i use and smilies im rather sure people would be able to distinguish my writing from anyone elses lol.
(May. 17, 2009  4:04 PM)josh-jf Wrote: Yeah I agree spelling and grammar are important, and at times I've been too lazy to type properly. However I do make sure that my writing is readable and I'm rather sure it has been.

However as I told him I understand that he expects better; and like Pikachao said, if he merely asked me I would have been more than happy to try for him.

What I had a problem with was in his first comment to a new member , he had already used the phrase "put my foot in your carp" (or whatever he said lol). But he's one of those guys who is stubborn and his posts just got worse and worse.

Now if you want to be part of those forums, I'll see how I can help. These are the errors you make that seem to be aggravating them. A good place to start is capitalizing your 'I''s
To be honest with rules and people like that im not so sure i want to be with that forum. I want to be judged on what i say not how i type it. They say they just want basic good spelling and grammar. Bu it doesnt seem to basic, i dont see how a 12 year old kid could do it.

I've just never seen a forum like that before. But thanks khel, if you were him there definantly wouldn't have been an arguement.
all that talk makes me wonder if my grammar and dictation is good?
i remember members when i first joined didnt like my fast way of writing (you=u/ are=r etc). i believe i improved allot right?
By the way, I love this quote from their forums.

Quote:my point isthat if you type in this way you could be the smatrest person in the world and you would stilll come off looking stupidto people.