How to FORGE A sword! - tutorial and tips

(Jun. 10, 2014  12:44 AM)MasterSwordsman Wrote: click here to see the sword hope this works
Edit: Yes it worked.

Couldnt get the entire picture in, must have been an error or the picture was to big, I'll try next time to post a better picture.
WHOA, that was the coolest sword in real life!!! Especially the cool handle
That looks like a beautiful sword, i love those types of tsuka
the sword is full tang, and uses carbon steel I folded 70 times, just to assure quality, the guard is made of gold and brass compound (Both brass and gold look alike, so the brass it to make it a functional guard, and the gold makes it attractive and worth alot) and i forgot to polish the blade that day, so it would have looked better if I worked on my swords that day.
EDIT: if its allowed, i think this should also be the place to post pictures on swords you have made (If it was not made by you, tell me, I will make a thread for that)
(Jun. 10, 2014  12:18 AM)Bastion Wrote:
(Jun. 10, 2014  12:10 AM)MasterSwordsman Wrote: Damascus blades are still folded around 1000-2000 times, just for quality. but carbon steel does not need to be folded that much ESPECIALLY if you just buy prepared carbon steel, which is already folded and is ready to be turned into a sword.

We were not discussing damascus, we were talking about carbon steel used for katanas. Regardless, damascus has thousands of layers, not thousands of folds. 11 folds gives 2048 layers.
carbon steel that is true, only a couple of folds does it. Every fold you do means double the layers, Traditionally made swords (Like mine, I took 6 years making it) are folded thousands of times, and is why swords made like that cost around 500-1000$ to get, but they perform far better than any sword on the market. 8-11 folds are used on low-end carbon steel katanas (low-end = 15-50$) these swords are nice for what you payed, but im going to go more on that in different threads.
(Jun. 10, 2014  7:26 AM)MasterSwordsman Wrote:
(Jun. 10, 2014  12:18 AM)Bastion Wrote:
(Jun. 10, 2014  12:10 AM)MasterSwordsman Wrote: Damascus blades are still folded around 1000-2000 times, just for quality. but carbon steel does not need to be folded that much ESPECIALLY if you just buy prepared carbon steel, which is already folded and is ready to be turned into a sword.

We were not discussing damascus, we were talking about carbon steel used for katanas. Regardless, damascus has thousands of layers, not thousands of folds. 11 folds gives 2048 layers.
carbon steel that is true, only a couple of folds does it. Every fold you do means double the layers, Traditionally made swords (Like mine, I took 6 years making it) are folded thousands of times, and is why swords made like that cost around 500-1000$ to get, but they perform far better than any sword on the market. 8-11 folds are used on low-end carbon steel katanas (low-end = 15-50$) these swords are nice for what you payed, but im going to go more on that in different threads.

Thousands of FOLDS 2.14301721 × 10^301 layers.
You're trying to tell me you folded a piece of steel over a thousand times, and ended up with 2 followed by 301 zeros layers? 2000 is 2 followed by 3 zeros. And you did 2 followed by 301 zeros? And then sandwiched it between two pieces of iron?

let me put this into context:
more than 16 folds gives you a layer less than a molecule thick. Folding 16 times completely knocks out all of the carbon from the steel, its absolutely pointless. Japanese swords are not the greatest performing swords ever made, partly because they were originally sourced from terrible quality "pig iron"
(Jun. 10, 2014  11:21 AM)Bastion Wrote:
(Jun. 10, 2014  7:26 AM)MasterSwordsman Wrote:
(Jun. 10, 2014  12:18 AM)Bastion Wrote: We were not discussing damascus, we were talking about carbon steel used for katanas. Regardless, damascus has thousands of layers, not thousands of folds. 11 folds gives 2048 layers.

Thousands of FOLDS 2.14301721 × 10^301 layers.
You're trying to tell me you folded a piece of steel over a thousand times, and ended up with 2 followed by 301 zeros layers? 2000 is 2 followed by 3 zeros. And you did 2 followed by 301 zeros? And then sandwiched it between two pieces of iron?

let me put this into context:
more than 16 folds gives you a layer less than a molecule thick. Folding 16 times completely knocks out all of the carbon from the steel, its absolutely pointless. Japanese swords are not the greatest performing swords ever made, partly because they were originally sourced from terrible quality "pig iron"
and i repeatedly added carbon so it would not lose it. even still, the sword performs nicely, this sword slashed through everything i throw at it. It's an odachi, odachi swords are thicker than normal katanas, they are thicker so the blade would not be floppy given blades like these are around 5-6 feet long. so more folding is required, on top of all, folded it thousands of times and it still performs well,
but ill take your word and make a sword with very few folds, and put them to comparison.
So you're saying that traditional swords were folded thousands of times, ending up with a number of layers equal to the number 2 with 301 zeroes after it? And traditional Japanese swordsmiths also added carbon while they folded thousands of times?
(Jun. 10, 2014  10:16 PM)Bastion Wrote: So you're saying that traditional swords were folded thousands of times, ending up with a number of layers equal to the number 2 with 301 zeroes after it? And traditional Japanese swordsmiths also added carbon while they folded thousands of times?

every about 2-3 folds they would add more carbon, traditionally made swords are like that, and is how damascus steel is made, here's my chart on the layers: found the mistake i said, it was layers, oops, well, problem solved. i need to work on my english vocabulary, but then heres the chart, more believable?

Mall swords - Price: 10-20$ - layers: 1-2 - usually are useless for anything other than hanging on the wall
Entry-level swords - Price: 15-40$ - layers: 3-5 - still terrible in performance, at least usable for the first few slashes.
Battle Ready katanas - Price: 50-300$ - layers: 8-15 - usable, would not expect it to last long though.
Odachi swords - price: 301-400$ - layers: 16-30 - they use extra folds for durability.
Traditional Katanas - price: 500-1000$ - Folds: 100-200 folds - great swords, but take forever to make.
Damascus katanas - price: 500-1000$ - layers: 1000-2000 layers - best katanas you will find.
*Damascus Odachi - price: 600$+ - layers: 4000-5010 layers - these swords use the highest of folds of swords in existance, and these swords cut down anything you throw at them.

* = my sword
odachi swords use extra layers, and my sword i took 6 years making was damascus steel, the katana i showed in picture was a simple 600 layer katana that only took me a little while.
No, that's just false information entirely.

There's no existing record of how Damascus steel was made, everything that replicates it is speculation, there's no evidence, it's a lost art.

Traditionally made swords are NOT made like that, nobody added carbon every couple of folds. I
None of the traditionally made swords had anything more than 20 folds. I have NO IDEA why you think they were folded hundreds of times, there's absolutely no reliable resource that says so.

http://www.samuraisword.com/REFERENCE/ma...rocess.htm
http://www.pbs.org/wgbh/nova/ancient/sec...sword.html
and the book ""A History of Metallography", by Cyril Smith" all tate that Japanese swords were folded about 16 times.

Traditional katanas took days-weeks to make.
It honestly sounds like you've bought into the entire "mystic Japanese cutlery that can cut through tanks" nonsense.

Damascus was used in the Middle East, it never reached Japan. NO TRADITIONAL JAPANESE SWORD WAS EVER MADE WITH DAMASCUS.
(Jun. 11, 2014  9:30 PM)Bastion Wrote: No, that's just false information entirely.

There's no existing record of how Damascus steel was made, everything that replicates it is speculation, there's no evidence, it's a lost art.

Traditionally made swords are NOT made like that, nobody added carbon every couple of folds. I
None of the traditionally made swords had anything more than 20 folds. I have NO IDEA why you think they were folded hundreds of times, there's absolutely no reliable resource that says so.

http://www.samuraisword.com/REFERENCE/ma...rocess.htm
http://www.pbs.org/wgbh/nova/ancient/sec...sword.html
and the book ""A History of Metallography", by Cyril Smith" all tate that Japanese swords were folded about 16 times.

Traditional katanas took days-weeks to make.
It honestly sounds like you've bought into the entire "mystic Japanese cutlery that can cut through tanks" nonsense.

Damascus was used in the Middle East, it never reached Japan. NO TRADITIONAL JAPANESE SWORD WAS EVER MADE WITH DAMASCUS.

my sensei said that, never knew it would be incorrect, good to know new things like this, anyway, even still you got quite the nerve trying to correct a Sensei but it's forgivable given i'm quite the tolerant Sensei unlike my sensei, i just saw with my own eyes how my Damascus Odachi was made, so i made assumptions off that. now lets get back to the topic of forging swords shall we?
(Jun. 12, 2014  4:59 AM)MasterSwordsman Wrote: you got quite the nerve trying to correct a Sensei but it's forgivable given i'm quite the tolerant Sensei.

You cannot be serious.
You're 15, drop that massive ego.
(Jun. 12, 2014  7:49 AM)Bastion Wrote:
(Jun. 12, 2014  4:59 AM)MasterSwordsman Wrote: you got quite the nerve trying to correct a Sensei but it's forgivable given i'm quite the tolerant Sensei.

You cannot be serious.
You're 15, drop that massive ego.
strange thing is, I AM serious even still if you don't believe me, why dont you come to japan and try to beat me, and 15 years there is a legal age to have a job, you're considered an adult at age 16.

but OK, don't believe me, fine with me, i'm not going to care. regardless of your opinion, given i don't want my warning level going up. but your definetly going on my ignore list.
Honestly, the sword discussion is annoying and I'm tired of you being a know it all. Keep the dumb sword discussion in the general sword thread you created. There's no need for all of these guides on how to make one or use one, especially on a beyblade website.