Homemade Final Drive

So just for fun I built my own Final Drive. Basically I ripped the clutch out of a Yoyo brain and did some mod work on the bearing. In the pic below you can see the bearing at the top left, the clutch at the top and a ground-down Claw platform to mount the track (it was broken anyway).

The bearing was inserted into the clutch and fastened. Then the platform was super-glued to the bearing-mount (so that the track could use different metal/clear wheels). Obviously the tip is part of the track and is made from the ground-down Yoyo bearing bolt.

Solo spin time with a good wheel is around 2mins, give or take 15secs. Good defense track but only because of its MASSIVE size protecting the metal wheel with pretty much zero recoil. The final drive behaviour (which was pretty good) otherwise did nothing to help the bey - still interesting to watch though.

[Image: t8xbus.png]
http://tinypic.com/r/t8xbus/7

As you can see in the pic, I built an attack tip out of a fuel valve to deal with the homemade FD's awesome defense. The idea was a VERY tall attack track which would contact the FD's metal wheel. You can see the result at the bottom of the pic. The FD literally exploded. You can see how only one of the FD weights is left - I still haven't found the other one.

Lesson to bey modders - never use glue, stay with bolts.
Wow, that is really creative.
10/10
Freaking awesome, twenty internets to you good sir!
This was very well done, but I'm a tad confused. Did you want it to explode?
This is just full of WIN!

I believe exploding was not part of the plan, but imagine in a battle, you use this thing, it explodes on impact and splits into two beys! (Reminds me of some HMS bey, cant remember the name...)
That would be cool...
Manicben ur thinkin about Phantom Fox MS

this idea is awesome i love the look af it
this was a very creative design i give it a 10/10 aswell good job Smile
(Aug. 02, 2011  11:49 AM)DRAGOONMS9894 Wrote: Manicben ur thinkin about Phantom Fox MS

Thats the one! The red HMS bey!
But when this separates it would be like one MFB bey and Round Shell MS.
Well done, I too rate this 10/10!!!
This is incredible, it would be awesome if we just all created our own parts like that, who knows what beyblade would be like.
(Aug. 02, 2011  11:59 AM)Manicben Wrote:
(Aug. 02, 2011  11:49 AM)DRAGOONMS9894 Wrote: Manicben ur thinkin about Phantom Fox MS

Thats the one! The red HMS bey!
But when this separates it would be like one MFB bey and Round Shell MS.
Well done, I too rate this 10/10!!!
Isn't Phantom Fox MS white in colour.....?
Anyway, this thing is really cool, 8/10, the remaining points is left for the missing metal ball Grin
(Aug. 02, 2011  3:37 AM)Sparta Wrote: This was very well done, but I'm a tad confused. Did you want it to explode?

The explosion was not part of the plan. One of the springs nearly got me in the eye! But it's better this way - a beyblade that explodes deserves to be exploded.

I'm going to be doing a few mods like this one. Getting most of my ideas from the "Beyblade parts you want to see come true" thread elsewhere on the board. Suggestions are welcome.

Currently working on a beyblade with a tip that spins in the opposite dirrection to the metal wheel - and - a beyblade that splits into two during battle, because that's such a cool idea.
Splitting into two Phantom Fox MS style? Awwww yeaaahhh!
As for the spinning differently, I'd look at Dranzer GT's Engine Gear if I were you. Dranzer GT spins right, and when the engine activates, it spins left Grin
(Aug. 03, 2011  5:24 AM)Beylon Wrote:
(Aug. 02, 2011  3:37 AM)Sparta Wrote: This was very well done, but I'm a tad confused. Did you want it to explode?

Currently working on a beyblade with a tip that spins in the opposite dirrection to the metal wheel - and - a beyblade that splits into two during battle, because that's such a cool idea.
Heh, I was just about to suggest that you should do an MFB Phantom Fox, because it's so awesome. Well, if and when you complete it, I can't wait to see images Grin
We need this on video, please. Thanks~!

See, I wish Beyblade expanded into a franchise where you could literally build your own Beyblade with a set of guidelines on how they are to be built and they supply the base structure for it or maybe even the molding supplies to do it.

This sort of creativity is what Beyblade should be about. You had a concept and you went for it.
Gotta go with Dei on this one, it would be awesome if we could create our own! The tracks moreso so far, creating everything else would be hard, but this is a great idea! Even though these tracks are illegal, they seem fun as hell! And I'd love if these things could be used in free play or something!
(Aug. 03, 2011  5:43 AM)Deikailo Wrote: We need this on video, please. Thanks~!

See, I wish Beyblade expanded into a franchise where you could literally build your own Beyblade with a set of guidelines on how they are to be built and they supply the base structure for it or maybe even the molding supplies to do it.

This sort of creativity is what Beyblade should be about. You had a concept and you went for it.

For somewhere between $2,000-$4,000 you can build/buy a Fab@Home 3D printer and make your own parts from 3D scans of exiting tracks and stuff.

I don't think they do the kind of hard plastics TT uses at the moment, but you could still print up a silicone shell for molding - Or... you could make your beyblade parts out of chocolate!

All kidding aside, the day is not far away when we will have the technology to do this kind of stuff ourselves, and it raises some interesting questions about the future of monetized intellectual property rights of actual physical things. After all, if you could download beyblade specs and create your own as easily as you can download a song today, don't you think some people would do it?
(Aug. 03, 2011  5:43 AM)Deikailo Wrote: See, I wish Beyblade expanded into a franchise where you could literally build your own Beyblade with a set of guidelines on how they are to be built and they supply the base structure for it or maybe even the molding supplies to do it.

that would be carping awesome!!! like build a bear workshop, except build a beyblade workshop!!!! OHMYGOSHNOWIMEXCITEDANDPROBABLYWONTSLEEPATNIGHTCOZIMSOCARPINGEXCITED!!!
This is awesome. Looking forward to more, and a video! Expanding on Deikailo's idea, that'd be great! They give you metal to mold to your liking; a clay-like clear wheel so you can mold and decorate that. I have no idea how they'd do the tracks and bottoms, considering they even keep that system lol.
(Aug. 03, 2011  9:49 PM)GPerseus Master Wrote: Expanding on Deikailo's idea, that'd be great! They give you metal to mold to your liking; a clay-like clear wheel so you can mold and decorate that.

I guess this is pretty similar to what I'm doing anyway. If you've amassed enough toys in your life, you'll find almost anything you need in an attic box somewhere. Failing that, $2 store.

In other news, I've finished the Reverse Drive. Actually, I did some research with the new Hasbro IR Beyblades and while the idea of a reverse drive sounds cool, I found it depleted the bey's power too much to be worth the trouble. So I flipped the spring and made an EXTREME DRIVE.

Basically the same as the 'speed boost' idea. When triggered by the launch 'bounce' the tip now spins in the direction of the metal wheel - but with twice the power. The trigger key slides in underneath that cog you can see sticking out the side. The key unlocks when the beyblade hits the arena floor - good for powering through the first wall-hits!

This bey also has no face bolt - it's all machine.

[Image: 65revm.png]
http://tinypic.com/r/65revm/7

Unfortunately I can't get the level of power out of this design that I wanted. The spring just isn't balanced correctly. Ultimately a FAIL with a solo spin time of around 2:30mins. Better than the FD but I was aiming for 4mins (I average 5:30mins with BurnLeone125D in the L-Drago stadium - using my modified Rev Launcher).
That is awesome and inspirational. You should become like a beyblade mechanic now that would be cool.
Even more WIN!!!
Wow, that would be so cool! Making a bey that had a speed boost!
Dude, I applaud you. 9/10 (Losing one mark due to the fact it didnt do what you wanted it to do)
I wonder what his next project is... Phantom Fox MS in MFB DEFINITELY!!!
Has anyone else tried using a glue gun and a mold to make custom parts? it just sems like an easy way of making your own parts. i'm planning on making my own plastic bey, and i dont mean custom! i mean a whole new bey! I was just wondering if Beylon could come up with anything else i could add to the plstic to increase its speed and a way of it changing the direction, it would help alot as this is my first proper custom
Aw man, sick stuff guy, 10/10 just for being this creative and incredible, i've really never seen anything like this.
(Aug. 04, 2011  11:46 AM)Nwolf Wrote: Has anyone else tried using a glue gun and a mold to make custom parts? it just sems like an easy way of making your own parts. i'm planning on making my own plastic bey, and i dont mean custom! i mean a whole new bey! I was just wondering if Beylon could come up with anything else i could add to the plstic to increase its speed and a way of it changing the direction, it would help alot as this is my first proper custom

Some interesting discussion in the homemade beys thread has me wanting to try this too. Honestly I've never molded anything before in my life - more of a kitbasher, myself - but let me know about your findings and I'll think it over. Am searching for other molding methods currently.

In the mean time, I've suffered some mind-block on the Phantom Fox remake. Just for fun then, I have tried my hand at a few other things from the to-do list. Excuse the effects - this pic was going to be for another site which bailed at the last minute.

[Image: iojmls.png]
http://tinypic.com/r/iojmls/7

The face bolt at the top took ages to grind down by hand - as I have no machinery. What makes it special is the threaded ring. The ring fits snuggly into any beyblade track, allowing the face bolt perfect modularity. Despite pretty much perfect weight distribution, I've noticed a dramatic drop in performance whenever I use this bolt in a bey - reducing solo spin times by a uniform 30%, which is bad. Anyone know why this would happen? I thought more weight would increase the stamina - not decrease it.

The mini heavy bey at the top right is basically two mini-beys using the same bolt (which can only be achieved with the parts indicated in the picture). Unlike the face bolt above, this does increase the stamina and guarantee a win against other mini-beys. No change against normal beys though.

The pendulum drive in the centre was a funny story. The idea was to increase stamina with two spring pendulums (like a gyro in a clock). But the springs exploded on launch and the whole bey flew apart... This is becoming a habit with my creations. Still can't find the tip.

The wobble drive on the right was another take on the pendulum drive. It was so derp that I didn't bother persuing it past the first test. You can just imagine, right?

At the bottom is a new concept I'm more interested in: using mini-beys as weighted spin tracks. Similar idea to the mini-heavy. The version 0.1 you see above is a work-in-progress with a solo spin time of only 1:30mins. However, with my new face bolt, I'm hoping to find a way of launching the matrix system blades without a mini-launcher (using my modified rev-launcher instead for massive power).

Also found a store nearby selling fake beyblades for AU$4 so will investigate for cheap parts. Anyone in Brisbane Australia would be wise to do the same!
I wish I had that knowledge!

Do you think that you could make a YouTube tut on this? That would be very helpful.

Like on how to make the Final Drive that you made at first.
Find me an embedded video host where I don't have to sign up with an account and I'll think about it. I really hate giving video hosts my details... Grrr!
As this crazy double-post doesn't seem to be going anywhere, I may as well make use of it (note to self: do not use 'quick reply' box ever again). Below is a pic of a set of fakes I picked up today for AU$24. These are the ones I mentioned in my previous post. You can see why they are inferior in the comparison pic.

[Image: vyse4o.png]
http://tinypic.com/r/vyse4o/7

Why does this even matter?!

...Each metal wheel is approximately 5gm lighter than its real counterpart. With the exception of Evil/Poison, all the metal wheels are hollowed-out rather than solid. Also, many of the tracks have 'plugs' at the tip end, rather than an open hole. The extra space and weight reduction allows more room to move with customisations - which makes more ideas viable. Meanwhile the plugs finally give me something to drill/screw into for tip-fastening. In addition, I feel better about cutting up fakes than the real deal!

Also... Is that a left-spin beylauncher? For $4 with included bey? Yes it is. Expect to see some results from these fakes soon.