Help planning an event?

Okay so, where I currently co-op (Toys R Us) I need to think of an event, and with the release of Beyblade: Metal Fusion toys in Canada; I was thinking about a Beyblade tournament for the younger players, or should I make it open to older players too?

But that's not the only problem, I was wondering what kind of things can be done as prizes? Of course beyblades are an obvious answer, but I was thinking of adding in something original, like maybe custom face sticker sets? I'm an artist so I think it'd be a neat little thing to do. But I'd like to add more. What would you guys recommend?
Beyblade Top Shaped Chocolates. XD or maybe even a beyblade medal that says number 1 blader
I don't think that'd suffice for many lol.
I love that chocolate Beyblade idea! But how about a Japan-released blade and a... hmm... how about (small) cake with a design of Ginga and Storm Pegasis in icing on the top? Baking artistics!
You should allow older players to go to it as well, maybe have two divisions? As for the prize maybe just a Beyblade set.
Nice idea! Like, a 5-10 year old division, and a 11-16 year old division?
Very cool idea. I can only assume that this event is at least 2 months away, considering the first wave has yet to hit the shelves (as I'm sure you know). More importantly, you need to figure out a budget so you know how much you have to work with.

If you are doing the tournament through TRU, then you should probably make it for kids in the 13 and under range. I think the idea of working in your art is great, especially if it is related to your program. You need to figure out how how you would make blank sticker sets though. Furthermore, include a raffle. This will give kids a chance to win even if they can't play at a competitive level with other players.

In terms of extra prizes, you work at a retail store! Ask your higher ups if there is any extra stock that can be put to a good cause. It will be generating interest for a new product, so I'm sure they'd give you something. If you are promoting art, try having the kids design their own t-shirt or something. Buy a lot of blank shirts and have markers, etc for them there (of course, this all depends on the budget). Try to stray away from food products, not sure how that would hold up. If you do, make sure they're peanut free.
(Apr. 16, 2010  12:20 AM)Raykon Wrote: You should allow older players to go to it as well, maybe have two divisions? As for the prize maybe just a Beyblade set.

Yeah I decided to make those the prizes, ontop of custom face stickers.

The separate divisions sounds like a good idea, I'll throw that in too.
keep it simple. this is the best advice i can give you as someone who has run more tournaments than you can imagine.
(Apr. 16, 2010  12:44 AM)Bey Brad Wrote: keep it simple. this is the best advice i can give you as someone who has run more tournaments than you can imagine.

True! And be sure to promote it. That's the only thing I see wrong with age brackets, there might not be enough kids in one of them lol.

I'm sure it will turn out well though! Good luck!Joyful_2
(Apr. 16, 2010  12:11 AM)BladerAce17 Wrote: But how about a Japan-released blade.

Agreed. This would be a great prize. It doesn't have to be a Beyblade like Quetzalcoatl or anything, but maybe something like Galaxy Pegasis or a Metal System Beyblade. Imagine how they would feel if they got a Beyblade that "wasn't released yet", or a Beyblade that Hasbro probably would never release.

Good luck with this, btw! Don't forget to mention the WBO Wink
(Apr. 16, 2010  3:14 AM)Aqua Wrote: Agreed. This would be a great prize. It doesn't have to be a Beyblade like Quetzalcoatl or anything, but maybe something like Galaxy Pegasis or a Metal System Beyblade. Imagine how they would feel if they got a Beyblade that "wasn't released yet", or a Beyblade that Hasbro probably would never release.

Good luck with this, btw! Don't forget to mention the WBO Wink

The store would be the one handling the prizes.... I unno, I'll be there in a bit, and today is when I talk about the major project.
Well all these ideas sound great but there is more you could do.
1.Broadcast it on TV all over Canada.
2.Give prizes like the old Japanese Beyblades 2002 - 2005 Unreleased and New Japanese 2008 - 2010 Released.
3.There can be 2 divisions - Division one Age's (6-11)-(12-16)
4.Make sure you have Beverages and Food so kids can have energy to play.
5.Make sure there's security for - Stolen Items,Fights,Arguments etc.
6.Make sure you do it outside and in a Stadium inside TRU.
7.Have good enough stadium's for people to play in.
8.Make sure you have it at a place where everyone can go.
9.Make sure when people win they have prizes for 1st,2nd, and 3rd.
10.Last but most important make sure you have them write down there names and information for if there staying alone. Get the parents information so there aren't any cases please and that's all Smile.
will the store really let you host an unofficial tournament? isn't this a liability?
(Apr. 16, 2010  2:30 PM)Bey Brad Wrote: will the store really let you host an unofficial tournament? isn't this a liability?

I'm sure his store will allow him to host a tournament it has to be official tho because if Toys R us is highlighting it then it should be official because Hasbro is selling it in there store this Spring so hopefully will see it broadcast on the TV stations for Toys R us that would be huge. Broadcast it all over Canada Toys R Us can make a killing on sales with MFB's.
(Apr. 16, 2010  6:37 PM)*BeybladeChief* Wrote: Broadcast it all over Canada Toys R Us can make a killing on sales with MFB's.

I think your overestimating the scale of this event...Promote with notices on the entrances to the store, etc. You might have a hard time running it through Toysrus, but since you work there it might not be impossible.
(Apr. 16, 2010  6:45 PM)Beyonomics Wrote: I think your overestimating the scale of this event...Promote with notices on the entrances to the store, etc. You might have a hard time running it through Toysrus, but since you work there it might not be impossible.

It might or it might not be impossible think of the possibilities if this guy really does work there it might be possible that the store can do it they said that there releasing them this spring in Canada so this might be a good way to release them right at least I think it is.
(Apr. 16, 2010  7:20 PM)*BeybladeChief* Wrote: It might or it might not be impossible think of the possibilities if this guy really does work there it might be possible that the store can do it they said that there releasing them this spring in Canada so this might be a good way to release them right at least I think it is.

Posters work too! Hang 'em up in different stores around Canada (or your local area Smile) and watch 'em fly! T.V. adds would cost quite a bit of money, but would absolutely help!
Lol guys. I doubt that he has the time or money to buy airtime.
Well if there airing them this spring then they should have it Broadcasting on TV and this should be there hosting event.
It's not large scale enough, and it'll be a waste of money, if he could afford it.
im haveing a tourney soon and im giving away a big bag of lollies for the winner