Unless, of course, its plastered
On the cover of our magazine

Close your eyes to see inside
Your very own heart
We might not have smothered it by now
But we're off to a damn good start!
I like this Joyful_3
Great stuff
Hmm it's a very good poem. Is it about a Goverment oppressing it's people so thay wont rebel?

It talks about smothering dreams and using false information to keep it's people in line.
Its about how the media is controlled by the government to influence the public's opinion on large issues. Namely, the war in Iraq.
(Aug. 30, 2008  6:26 PM)Roan Wrote: Its about how the media is controlled by the government to influence the public's opinion on large issues. Namely, the war in Iraq.

Thats basicly what I was thinking the whole time though I didn't say it openly for fear that it would be shut down.

As for poems I normally just do Haiku's.
(Aug. 30, 2008  6:26 PM)Roan Wrote: Its about how the media is controlled by the government to influence the public's opinion on large issues. Namely, the war in Iraq.

It's good to know that people are aware of the fact that media can be (and often is) censored. We hear what they want us to, no more, no less.
Kudos man Joyful_3
(Aug. 30, 2008  8:02 PM)ChozenBlader Wrote:

It's good to know that people are aware of the fact that media can be (and often is) censored. We hear what they want us to, no more, no less.
Kudos man Joyful_3

Not just censored, but also commercialized. The mass media is big business; they make money by selling minutes of their viewers' attention spans to advertisers. Therefore, media companies stand to make the most money by airing content that 1) people want to watch and 2) other companies want to advertise on. Such content doesn't necessarily have to be relevant to the world we live in or, in light of things like the Jayson Blair Scandal and Rathergate, accurate (of course, maintaining the illusion that the content is always both of these things helps boost sales).

However, I'm not entirely certain to what degree the government influences media coverage of things like the war in Iraq. Obviously they don't show stuff like actual combat footage from the front lines, but apart from Fox News (which appeals to a different market), much of the media appears to criticize the war. If the media was just the sock puppet of the government, wouldn't they broadcast nothing but good about the war?
(Aug. 30, 2008  8:57 PM)Doompenguin Wrote:
(Aug. 30, 2008  8:02 PM)ChozenBlader Wrote:

Kudos man Joyful_3

Not just censored, but also commercialized. The mass media is big business; they make money by selling minutes of their viewers' attention spans to advertisers. Therefore, media companies stand to make the most money by airing content that 1) people want to watch and 2) other companies want to advertise on. Such content doesn't necessarily have to be relevant to the world we live in or, in light of things like the Jayson Blair Scandal and Rathergate, accurate (of course, maintaining the illusion that the content is always both of these things helps boost sales).

However, I'm not entirely certain to what degree the government influences media coverage of things like the war in Iraq. Obviously they don't show stuff like actual combat footage from the front lines, but apart from Fox News (which appeals to a different market), much of the media appears to criticize the war. If the media was just the sock puppet of the government, wouldn't they broadcast nothing but good about the war?

Well What happened was, In the beginning of the war Everyone was Like YEAH!!! KILL THEM KILL THEM ALL!!

Though now that the war is starting to show that it's incredibly costly and we also know that the main reason why we went to war in Iraq was for oil. Because we took down Sadam, the main power holder in the country, things started going to hell.

There is Honestly nothing more we can do to Iraq. We went in, killed the leader, ate some oil, and just came to realize what a mess we made. What we need to do now is to take the troops out and hang out with Japan and China =3

If we do that our Tech. will start to improve and we will become a greener country. Because to me, Natural Resources are our greatest chance to survive in the next 100 years.
I have some more questions, but I don't want to hijack Roan's thread here, so I'm going to quote your post over in the Politics thread and ask them them there.
Honestly I don't mind you guys discussing politics here so long as its relevant to the content within my poem.

I'm glad to see it got you talking, as that is the goal with these sorts of writings.

I'm going to be doing more of these in the future, so expect to see me posting more in the future. Its been a long time since I've written poetry/lyrics, and since I'm starting up a new band soon I figured I had better get back into the swing of things.

I have another one that I wrote up yesterday but Brad has asked that I don't post it here due to questionable content. If you'd like to read it, send me a PM. Smile