Guides for Games?

Poll: Do you use a guide for games?

Only when I get stuck.
37.50%
Only for harder games.
37.50%
Only the second time round for 100% completion.
12.50%
Always, it makes the game less boring.
12.50%
NEVER. I'm hardcore!
0%
Total: 100% 8 vote(s)
I was wondering if you guys use guides for games? I was mostly thinking this as I just spent hours trying to figure out a puzzle in zelda and got a horribly bad headache...

Personally I try to find spoiler free guides when it's a zelda game or another RPG for instance kingdom hearts. As long as I only read bits that I need to the whole game is a LOT more fun because I'm doing stuff rather than dying 20 times before I have time to realise what I'm meant to do.

Obviously I use guides only for harder games, when it comes to stuff like Pokémon it's too easy to just figure it out anyways. With zelda, I get pissed off from not knowing what to do for like forever.

Did I mention I was stuck in jabu-jabu's belly for 2 years since when I was little? I quit the game because I still couldn't figure it out when I played for like an hour a day. Think I picked it back up when I was eleven and tried to do it for about an hour then used a guide. LOL.

EDIT: Just so you know, I searched and there was no sort of thread for this.
i use it when i get stuck in hard games like zelda
You lack a "For Party games where I just want to unlock everything and don't give a flying horse about being hXc" option.
(Sep. 27, 2008  3:45 PM)To Wrote: You lack a "For Party games where I just want to unlock everything and don't give a flying horse about being hXc" option.

It'd be easier for you to just post that maybe? =P
Yes, always. I don't usually use it to complete the game, but for tips and for completion.
Does anyone else think it's kinda pathetic that companies release games which we basically need to use guides for?

They sell "official guides" and make even more money off making the games too hard. =S
I use guides when I get stuck big time in some part of the game or when I want to get 100% completion.
I only use it when i have to for Japaneses games.
I use them when I stop playing a game for a while, but came back to it. They help me get started again.

For the most part, if I play a game straight through within a couple days/weeks I will be able to complete it without one.
i used to use them straight through lol

now i only use them when i'm stuck
(Sep. 27, 2008  9:15 PM)Kei Wrote: I use them when I stop playing a game for a while, but came back to it. They help me get started again.

For the most part, if I play a game straight through within a couple days/weeks I will be able to complete it without one.

Have you never gotten annoyed with a zelda game? I try to only use guides for games when I get the mentality of "I'm going to stop playing this now". If it's the choice of stopping playing the game forever and using a guide, the guide is better than nothing.

Non-spoiler guides are EPIC. I used one for KH and it was amazing to play. I never got stuck but it didn't tell me all the puzzles and storyline either. Most fun I ever had on an RPG (not including Pokémon).
the only zelda dungeon where i consistently need a guide is the water temple ugh
well some of us are stupid and need a guide

aka me because i couldn't get through the first carp dungeon in oot
(Sep. 27, 2008  9:18 PM)Bey Brad Wrote: the only zelda dungeon where i consistently need a guide is the water temple ugh

Ever played a link to the past? It was perfect, you almost never need a guide due to the fortune teller and it doesn't give away the storyline. There were like... what, 14+ dungeons? To top that, they were all amazingly epic! =]
(Sep. 27, 2008  9:18 PM)Surfingpikachao Wrote: Have you never gotten annoyed with a zelda game? I try to only use guides for games when I get the mentality of "I'm going to stop playing this now". If it's the choice of stopping playing the game forever and using a guide, the guide is better than nothing.

I've never beaten a Zelda game (lol), but when I was playing them consistently, I was fine. If I went back and started playing Twilight Princess right now, I would most definitely need a guide.
(Sep. 27, 2008  9:47 PM)Kei Wrote:
(Sep. 27, 2008  9:18 PM)Surfingpikachao Wrote: Have you never gotten annoyed with a zelda game? I try to only use guides for games when I get the mentality of "I'm going to stop playing this now". If it's the choice of stopping playing the game forever and using a guide, the guide is better than nothing.

I've never beaten a Zelda game (lol), but when I was playing them consistently, I was fine. If I went back and started playing Twilight Princess right now, I would most definitely need a guide.

I'm pretty sure it's impossible to get every Poi ghost or whatever and the heart pieces and stuff in OoT without a guide. Or at least it would take you years. =/

EDIT: Seriously, jabu-jabu's belly. Hardest thing ever. Q.Q
(Sep. 27, 2008  9:22 PM)bugturtles Wrote: well some of us are stupid and need a guide

You think that's bad? I needed the strategy guide just to find the Kokiri Sword in OoT. I couldn't even make it to the first dungeon!
(Sep. 27, 2008  11:49 PM)Doompenguin Wrote:
(Sep. 27, 2008  9:22 PM)bugturtles Wrote: well some of us are stupid and need a guide

You think that's bad? I needed the strategy guide just to find the Kokiri Sword in OoT. I couldn't even make it to the first dungeon!

When you play a lot of zelda games you get used to the style and can predict what will happen next. I think lots of series games are like that tbh...
To my credit, though, it was my first Zelda game, I was much younger, and I didn't see the little alcove on the minimap. These days I don't have much trouble with it.
I use guides when I can't figure out missions on war games mostly. They usually give methods or tell you to do things in a certain sequence. I've found that it make playing games that much less frustrating, you know?
(Oct. 03, 2008  9:06 PM)ChozenBlader Wrote: I use guides when I can't figure out missions on war games mostly. They usually give methods or tell you to do things in a certain sequence. I've found that it make playing games that much less frustrating, you know?

I think games that force you to use guides aren't too great of games. Games that can subtly tell you what to do without ruining the storyline and without making it too easy are so amazing.

That and non-spoiler guides.