Google Chrome Operating System (2010)

Thats right Google's making an operating system separate from android and its gonna be amazing.
http://digg.com/d1w1Xm
http://www.cnn.com/2009/TECH/07/08/googl...newssearch
http://www.nytimes.com/2009/07/08/techno...&st=Search
I will definately be keeping my eyes peeled for more news on this.
I think we should all buy some google stocks while its only at $400 lol
it's going to be linux with a web browser and google apps
I am so excited for this. The Chrome web browser has made me a true believer in Google, and I can't wait to see what they come up with. Their vision sounds very progressive and like what the industry is heading towards anyhow.

I'm very optimistic, I just hope Google manages to pull it off.
I think its cool. Competition is definately good. But yeah, its web based and will bring cloud computing to the masses. Its pretty sweet, and basic computing will be great.

Still, Im starting to get weary of the kind of power Google posses.

edit: this guy called it in '05 LOL http://www.osnews.com/story/10096
btw cool avatar Ommi ;]
If you can't rely on an internet connection, then I can see why you wouldn't want this.

I'm not entirely sure where I stand on this now, but I'm not wowed by it as yet.
Yeah I made a post in random thoughts about this but nobody commented iirc.

"The user interface is minimal to stay out of your way" sounds good though. No more tellytubbies XP or really over-complicated Vista taskbars I hope. =P

They'll need to make it easy to navigate if I'm going to use it though, else I'll just stick with what I'm used to. The fact that I found Vista hard to navigate probably doesn't say much good about my IQ. ._.
Sounds to web based, but it'd be niced if their file explorer was tab-enabled. That's probably my biggest problem with Windows. (although I like it much better than OSX or leopard)
(Jul. 10, 2009  3:33 PM)t3haxle Wrote: Sounds to web based, but it'd be niced if their file explorer was tab-enabled. That's probably my biggest problem with Windows. (although I like it much better than [b]OSX or leopard)]/b]

Dj - Uh. Leopard is a version of OS X.
I will probably dual-boot this along with Windows 7 just to try it out.

There's rumors going around that it's going to be free, so hey, can't hurt to try it out if it is.
Correct me if I'm wrong, but I was under the impression that all Open Source software had to be free...
(Jul. 10, 2009  4:36 PM)Khel Wrote: Correct me if I'm wrong, but I was under the impression that all Open Source software had to be free...

Well yeah, that's why people are assuming it's going to be free. Wink
Personally, I'm sort of happy and sad about this.

Happy because Google is coming out with an OS that shows lots of promise from my experience with their web browser. Minimalism is the future.

Sad because I know if I ever get this OS, I'm going to have to dual boot because all the core software and games will be on windows. I don't think every developer of software (especially small independent developer software like OllyDBG and HexWorkshop) and I can't help think that if a developer does develop something, and is the first to do a good job on it, will sell it for money, making me hope that the warez community is supportive of Chrome OS software. Also, since all the apps and games I want to use are already for Windows, and most of them aren't likely to convert, I'm going to end up using Windows 7 all the time and the Chrome OS will become a huge novelty of GBs sitting on my hard drive much like the Windows 7 Beta has.

Unless Chrome is made very much like Windows and compatibility will not be an issue. That would be awesome.
I don't think the intention for Chrome is for it to ever fully replace Windows/OS X, but to be supplementary for machines like netbooks.
(Jul. 11, 2009  4:23 AM)Bey Brad Wrote: I don't think the intention for Chrome is for it to ever fully replace Windows/OS X, but to be supplementary for machines like netbooks.

Oh.
/feels stupid

Well still, it seems like a promising OS for a netbook. Which I should get soon.
(Jul. 11, 2009  4:23 AM)Bey Brad Wrote: I don't think the intention for Chrome is for it to ever fully replace Windows/OS X, but to be supplementary for machines like netbooks.

The whole point of the browser chrome is to force other browsers to improve by matching chromes specs , features etc... Im sure the OS is meant to do the same thing for other OS's.
Umm no

The point of chrome is to gain market share in the business. Why else would they enter it, they saw potential here and decided to exploit it.
b-b-but GOOGLE IS THE PATRON SAINT OF TECHNOLOGY
Here Khel, watch this video http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JGmO7Oximw8
it's called marketing

To gain market share you need to be able to differentiate your product from your competitors. This video is mainly an explanation as to how they were able to do so from the rest of the browsers available. This is just a sales pitch.
If you say so..
google's not trying to make money !!

* google is worth billions of dollars
(Jul. 11, 2009  4:56 AM)Khel Wrote: Umm no

The point of chrome is to gain market share in the business. Why else would they enter it, they saw potential here and decided to exploit it.
this, definately.
(Jul. 10, 2009  4:22 PM)Giga Wrote: Dj - Uh. Leopard is a version of OS X.

I know, I guess I just worded that wrong XD