GDC 2008

Since it's a rather large deal in gaming, I figured a topic for posting/discussing all of the recent news coming out of the conference would be appropriate.

So let's start with the biggest stuff first.

Microsoft gave their keynote today and a lot of interesting stuff was announced:

- Gears of War 2 is coming this November, Ninja Gaiden 2 was dated for June 3, Co-Op play in Fable 2 was announced and shown, "Community Games" are coming to Xbox Live in the near future. For all the juice that I'm too lazy to type up here as well as videos for Gears 2, NG2 and Fable 2, check out this link:

http://www.1up.com/do/newsStory?cId=3166398

- Also, to date 1 billion achievements have been unlocked on Xbox Live:

[Image: media?id=3495771]

- 30% more people upload Halo 3 videos than users on Youtube upload videos daily. (Holy carp)

And apparently games are coming to Zune. There aren't really any concrete details as of yet as what was shown was incredibly early but what's interesting is that the Zunepad isn't limited to just Up, Down, Left and Right directions as it is in the Zune's UI. It's completely omni-directional in the game that was shown. For more, hit the link:

http://www.engadget.com/2008/02/20/games...-hands-on/

I'm sure I missed some important things, so post away. Tongue_out
sam Wrote:gears of war 2

get back in your hole

hahaha

I'm so pumped for Gears 2 augh
EPOC , a game controller than can read your thoughts and expressions. Sounds interesting to me. Did anyone else hear about this?

Video of EPOC
Kei Wrote:EPOC , a game controller than can read your thoughts and expressions. Sounds interesting to me. Did anyone else hear about this?

Video of EPOC

I'm pretty sure this was shown at last years E3 and to be honest, I'm pretty sure no one cares still.
Roan Wrote:
Kei Wrote:EPOC , a game controller than can read your thoughts and expressions. Sounds interesting to me. Did anyone else hear about this?

Video of EPOC

I'm pretty sure this was shown at last years E3 and to be honest, I'm pretty sure no one cares still.

It's still pretty interesting to see how technology is progressing. Imagine what something like the EPOC could do 20 years from now.
Kei Wrote:
Roan Wrote:

Video of EPOC

It's still pretty interesting to see how technology is progressing. Imagine what something like the EPOC could do 20 years from now.

I don't agree to be honest.

I think it's interesting, sure, but I don't think anything like this will ever be successfully implemented in games.
Phyre-Engine?!! nice Sony
seeing as the is lack of sony love in this topic, Thought Id sprinkle some.

Cross platform engine that will improve games on the Ps3 and Xbox for mutiplatform devs.
Roan Wrote:
Kei Wrote:
Roan Wrote:

Video of EPOC

I don't agree to be honest.

I think it's interesting, sure, but I don't think anything like this will ever be successfully implemented in games.

Perhaps not at this point in time, but if say 20 years in the future the technology had been perfected (to a point) so the integration between your mind and the headset was seamless (no delays in actions and such), I think it could work for any game type. After all, you're using your mind, where there are no limits. Something that perfect is a long way off, but still.

Although, the thought of playing some games using a device such as this with other people does seem a bit awkward at the moment.
Well aside from that, you can't exactly expect it to run smoothly when your mind is blazing during, say, an intense shootout where there are guys all around you and your brain is firing off all kinds of sensory information.

How the hell would the machine read that and then translate it into game play movements? There's no tactile feedback in an interface like this and that's exactly why I don't think it would work. It would be sloppy and inaccurate.

Kind of like where motion controls are right now. Can anyone say Lair? That game's controls are awful simply because they are sloppy and inaccurate. I don't think even 20 years from now a technology as pie-in-the-sky as mind reading will be able to be implemented in a way that isn't obtuse and that doesn't detract from the game play.

Not to mention I don't see any real benefit from implementing said tech. It just doesn't sound necessary and to me it just seems like it would complicate games further, which we certainly don't need.
When you're in a gun fight, do you think about shooting and your body automatically shoots? No.

So why the hell should a game work like that? It's actually a step backwards.
Tamer Brad Wrote:When you're in a gun fight, do you think about shooting and your body automatically shoots? No.

So why the hell should a game work like that? It's actually a step backwards.

This is exactly what I was trying to say.

When you pull a trigger on a current console controller, a gun shoots. This makes sense as you are simulating an action on a controller.

Maybe if this mind reader were coupled with a controller it could work, but coupling it with a controller would effectively defeat the entire purpose of the mind reading accessory.

In other words, this is not a very promising, or even sensical way, to handle control in games.
You know what? I agree with you guys lol. I never thought of the example that Brad said.

Despite this though, I can't see this type of technology becoming as obsolete as you guys are making it sound. I still think it could be used for some type of game in the future. What that type of game is, I don't know.
Kei Wrote:I still think it could be used for some type of game in the future. What that type of game is, I don't know.

Wii 2 with Mind Reading confirmed
waggle your thoughts to reload
Roan Wrote:
Kei Wrote:I still think it could be used for some type of game in the future. What that type of game is, I don't know.

Wii 2 with Mind Reading confirmed

Tamer Brad Wrote:waggle your thoughts to reload

Hahahaha, whats funny is that Nintendo probably would try something like that.
http://kotaku.com/358821/gears-of-war-2-...wo-flavors

No big suprise here.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q0gNJfAkPSw

Sweet stuff here, but the locast "horde" looks stupid, 20 locust get stuck on the car, and no news about how they will fix the HORRIBLY RETARDED physics. There is no reason for when you walk into a dead giangantic monster thing it's body slides accross the floor as if it was ice.

But the whole piece of meat thing was cool.

Also, Microsoft hates PC confirmed.
sam Wrote:
Roan Wrote:APB DO WANT

http://www.1up.com/do/previewPage?cId=3166497
double do want
triple do want

Artie Wrote:AHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=243007
Oh my god, how hypocritical. Nintendo talks about making sure their online service stays accessible and easy to connect to, then they do this. However, I'm sure the quality of the online in those pay and play games will be better than the normal WFC ones. If it isn't, whats the point? Other than to make money, of course.

Thats awesome about the downloadable content though.
Artie Wrote:AHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=243007

Wow.

That's carp even by Nintendo standards.

Also, wtf on the downloadable stuff. Hey Nintendo, do you not realize there are only 512 MBs in a Wii? carp please.
Oh man, I've been playing that JellyCar and Dishwasher. Awesome games.

carp cubes of meat.
cheetos Wrote:Oh man, I've been playing that JellyCar and Dishwasher. Awesome games.

carp cubes of meat.

I downloaded JellyCar. It was pretty cool.

I still need to try out Dishwasher, but I'm too busy playing Burnout. D: