First Contact.

What i mean by first contact i mean the first contact with extra-terrestrial intelligent lifeforms.

Basically i have a few questions to ask all of you and i'm interested to see how people think it will happen. These questions an spark some good discussion as well.

1. Will it ever happen?
2. When?
3. How?
4. How will it affect the world?

Ill answer the questions myself too.

1. I think it will happen. I also think that my answer is the obvious one.
2. Sometime in my lifetime
3. I have no idea how to answer this one but id love to see what you all think!
4. I think it would bring a long period of peace on earth.
1. I think it will.
2. Um, before the end of the 21st century.
3. Probably through upgrades in space technology (ie how much gravitational pressure they can endure)
4. Either (1) we'll all die due to taking advantage of them and their advancemets or (2) a Global Golden Age will take place as we live together in harmony...until someone screws up (theirs always somebody)
i didnt get what you mean! do you mean first touch with intelligent aliens or something?
He means when we first encounter aliens
oh...
1- according to my knowledge. in our religion, it is not mentioned that we will meet anything from outer space!
so i doubt we will.
There are many religions out there and just because it doesnt say we will, doesnt mean we wont.

Correct me if im wrong (couldve been one of those fake things) but on tv they were talking about how they found bacteria on Mars, so technically, we have found aliens, but not the ones we'd imagine. (Sorry if that was offensive in any pegasis, I did not intend for it to be.)
no no it isn't offensive! our religion didn't say we wont counter any! but it also didn't mention anything about it. so even if we did it wont be against our religion.
and i heard that they found some kind of frozen water there.not bacteria
1. Yes, most definitely.
2. I think it already has.
3. I mean, who is to say they take a physical being? Perhaps they've evolved beyond that? Ever got that feeling that there is something there, and when you look around, there never is? And then coincidences. Like, there's just some things that have such perfect timing that you feel as though it has to be more than a coincidence.
4. I think if there are beings without bodies, maybe there's a way to open up to them. Maybe they can share ideas for the greater good of mankind.

Mind you, this is just my opinion. I have no solid basis for it, so defending this position would just result in "that's just the way I feel about it"
We'll I beleive god created Earth and other holy life forms have created other planets.
we believe that there are other than human forms living ON earth. devils and something we call jen are also living here and we cant see them but they do!
1. probably
2. within the next 200 years
3. through space exploration
4. I think it would bring great peace for many years to come
1. I think it has already happened it some shape way or form,
2. I don't know, human history is pretty long.
3. I can't be sure exactly, but I'm sure they've scanned signals the earth puts out, used telescopes etc. to contact us or even landed on the planet at some point.
4. I think it's hushed up, and that our minds are warped by what the media and establishment want us to believe, so we may never find out until something big happens. When that big thing happens, I think some will doubt it but most won't be surprised, it's a big universe so it's going to happen sometime. Wink
4. Either (1) we'll all die due to taking advantage of them and their advancemets or (2) a Global Golden Age will take place as we live together in harmony...until someone screws up (theirs always somebody)

Haha this is so true.
1. Possibly. If it does, there is VERY unlikely chance that they will come to us. My theory is the first extra-terrestrial we find will be unintelligent, or even bacterial.
2. I give it 500 years. When we finally figure out how to get people past out solar system.
3. We'll land on a planet, either find animal like beings (dogs, cats, etc; only they will have adapted to their planet instead so it will be unlike anything we've seen since none of their genes will be anything like ours....or they might even have another way to reproduce). The chance of creatures at similar intelligence to us is VERY unlikely. The earth has been around for about 4.5 billion years. The universe is constantly expanding at an incredibly rapid rate, so new planets are always popping up. That doesn't mean the creatures there will evolve at the same speed as us, but it's very likely they will. I'm sure planets before ours, that are habitable, might have creatures smarter than us.
4. Depends on what we find.

That's my two cents

EDIT: I forgot to mention, if we meet intelligent life we're probably going to fight for their planet much like how people are constantly fighting over land. Humans bring destruction where ever they go.

EDIT 2: I am also a profound atheist, and an absolute believer in evolution. Wiki Black Peppered Moth
1. I'm still not sure whether I think aliens exist or not. Possibly.
2. No idea.
3. As we're talking about intelligent aliens, I imagine they'd come to us. If we're including ust anything living like space bugs and plants then I guess we'll find them first. Using space craft, obviously.
4. I doubt everything will be all happy. They'll kill us or, if they're peaceful, we'll kill them, gradually, accidentally, or out of fear/selfishness/greed.

I'd really rather they didn't exist/come over here. Humans are bad enough and the world has enough things to deal with as it is. ^^; Unless they brought a cure to global warming or something..........otherwise, I'm quite happy at the moment.
Well, since this topic has a lot about space travel and such I'd like to throw in my theory on what will happen when humans colonize other planets. Unless we figure out a way to replicate Earth's gravity and atmosphere, every civilization of humans on other planets will evolve into new beings to adapt to their environment. When we get into space, what we think of human will be absolutely different.
1.it will
2.500 years in the future
3.some idiot got blown into space Smile
4.they are going to inslave us then in one hundred years we fight back and we win
1. I think there is a good chance that this has already happened. Also, I thought we had found bacteria on Mars. We didn't?
2. If we haven't yet, in the next 100 years, we should.
3. We will find them, if thery haven't already been here.
4. Depends on the lifeform we find. If they are intelligent, then I agree with Hero.
(Apr. 16, 2009  3:20 PM)Hero Wrote: 4. Either (1) we'll all die due to taking advantage of them and their advancemets or (2) a Global Golden Age will take place as we live together in harmony...until someone screws up (theirs always somebody)

(Apr. 16, 2009  10:12 PM)Pichuscute Wrote: 4. Depends on the lifeform we find. If they are intelligent, then I agree with Hero.
There is always somebody, huh XD .

(Apr. 16, 2009  3:55 PM)Hero Wrote: Correct me if im wrong (couldve been one of those fake things) but on tv they were talking about how they found bacteria on Mars, so technically, we have found aliens, but not the ones we'd imagine.

(Apr. 16, 2009  10:12 PM)Pichuscute Wrote: 1. I think there is a good chance that this has already happened. Also, I thought we had found bacteria on Mars. We didn't?
Phew, I was beginning to doubt myself on that one haha. If I find the article, I will post it.
(Apr. 16, 2009  10:21 PM)Hero Wrote: Phew, I was beginning to doubt myself on that one haha. If I find the article, I will post it.

No, I'm pretty sure I heard that too. Can't remember where I saw it though...