Father/Son bonding time.

It all started about a month ago as a reward for my 5 year old son learning how to read, I picked up a stadium and and a couple of beys. He'd been mentioning Beyblade because a couple of boys at school play it, as I was standing in the toy aisle I had no inkling what they were (I actually thought they exploded or something), I thought it was just another Bakugan-like thing. How I was wrong. We started off with 5 and a Maximum Stampede stadium (no craters), we played for 3 hours. It was awesome.

Christmas rolled around, he was hooked, I was digging it. He got like 12 more Hasbro beys, Santa brought a Big Bang Pegasus (I mean, the only guy that could get a Bey that hasn't even been released in the States yet, am I right?). And it was on, drawing up tournament sheets, the whole she-bang. I told my son that Santa gave me an elf contact, and direct link to Japan's beys (wink), and everything was set into motion. His birthday is about 3 weeks off, so I had been putting out orders. During leisure time I discovered Akirasdaddy's channel, began reading up on the beyblade wiki, and lurking here. All while my wife gives me funny looks. I wasn't sure about registering and making an account until I saw that there were some similar guys on here, dads who got roped in with their sons, and in all honesty, I believe it's wonderful. My son treats his toys with respect, we spend more one on one time together, and being able to share a hobby with someone under the same roof is double the fun.

Collection thus far:

Hasbro:
Lightning L-Drago 100HF
Meteo L-Drago LW 105LF
Ultimate Meteo L-Drago 85XF
Poison Pegasus ED145JB
Cyber Pegasus 105F
Galaxy Pegasus W105R2F
Gravity Destroyer AD145WD
Hades Kerbecs BD145DS
Grand Cetus WD145RS
Earth Wolf 105WD
Earth Virgo GB145BS
Ray Striker D125CS
Fury Capricorn 100HF
Evil Pisces ED145WD
Thermal Lacerta WA130HF

Twisted Tempo 145WD & Counter Leone on their way

Sonokong 4D's:
Big Bang Pegasus FGrin (FGrin sticks, lubricating, seasoning, nothing works)
Fang Leone 130W2D (The Rattler)
L-Drago Destroy FConfused (This is actually in perfect out of the box condition)

Beat Lynx TH170WD on its way.

With the Korean manufacturer, my own speculations are that, well, the metal definitely seems sturdier, but the spin tracks -- especially ones with mechanisms are hit and miss. Fang Leone's 130W2D (along with it's frame and core) is really unstable. BBP's FGrin not working kind of works out, as the thing's spin is like 30-45 seconds, but really hits hard with minimal recoil. Though when it comes to more complex systems (Phantom Orion, Variaries, ect.) I'm going to go with Tomy. I'm crossing my fingers that the Lynx's Th170 I already ordered is going to work properly out of the box.

Tomy 4D's:

Ultimate DX Set -- haven't gotten into this yet, is one of boy's birthday gifts next month

Diablo Nemesis XGrin -- Just got it yesterday. pretty neato.

I'll be picking up bey's periodically, trying to catch up to what's out there and be on top of what's just coming out.

Though I need suggestions on stadiums. We're still playing in the Maximum Stampede Hasbro one, to put it lightly, it's not so great. I'm planning on getting the Big Bang Pegasus DX set for a Tomy FGrin, launcher, and all the stadium. I'm keeping an eye out for larger 18+ inch diameter ones, also old-school beystadiums from the plastic era. A nudge in the right direction would be appreciated.

Anyways, thanks for stopping by.

Welcome to the WBO, have a great time and remember to read, and follow, all the rules for posting
also have fun, go to the tournaments, and meet new people
Glad to have you here!

You're absolutely right that there are plenty of other fathers & sons who are members on the WBO, and you are both very welcome additions to the community.

The TakaraTomy BB-10 Attack Stadium is an absolute must (included in the BBP DX set). This is what we use for tournaments and testing, and really the only stadium you need from a competitive standpoint. I'll leave "fun" stadium suggestions to others.

Feel free to contact me via PM if you have any questions about tournaments (which are sooo much fun to do together) and how they work, etc.

Also, where are you geographically? From your writing I can only guess that it's somewhere in North America...
Oregon, the Pacific Nortwest. Maybe there's some Portland-Seattle area bladers.

Excellent, that was exactly the answer I was looking for when it came to stadiums, whatever was the standard for testing/competitive play. Thanks!

I'm especially interested in running tests and putting up numbers and stats, adding and compiling. Sounds like fun, just have to round-out our collection more, so it's a month or two down the road.

Alright, well, I'm headed back to the Part Tiers topic. Later and thanks guys.
(Jan. 07, 2012  11:29 PM)Smash Nuke Wrote: BBP's F:D not working kind of works out, as the thing's spin is like 30-45 seconds, but really hits hard with minimal recoil.
F:D will work properly in due time. Just like new shoe F:D and F:S need to be "broken in". Welcome to the WBO!
HEHE I'm a DAD too, and it looks to me that your on the right track. Oh yes these things are addicting i keep buying them plus it doesn't help that your children wants the same Beyblades as DAD's. I have a 12 year old boy, 8 year old girl and a 6 year old boy who rips likes it's nobodies business ripcord flyin in peoples faces...hehe but any way welcome to the WBO!!!!

it's fun being a DAD!!!!!