Earth Hour: March 28, 8:30-9:30pm.

We don't really have any candles in our house but we have a carping lot of touches. XD

Doesn't this thread become somewhat meaningless now?
(Mar. 29, 2009  9:29 PM)Zander Wrote: Doesn't this thread become somewhat meaningless now?

No?
You say no but what is with the '?', not sure?
(Mar. 29, 2009  9:44 PM)Zander Wrote: You say no but what is with the '?', not sure?

get out
Do you ever consider that if your electricity is already fuelled through green methods (wind power etc.) and then you burn carbon-based candles that you'll increase your CO2 emissions? =P

I think this is true if you do the same with energy efficient light bulbs. (light bulbs use up minimal electricity if they're energy saving).

I guess the point is to raise awareness but it just makes everyone think "okay, this year is gone. I've done my bit for the environment for one hour." even though they'd have to do it all the time to help, even if it DID work. xD

/scepticalpost
(Mar. 29, 2009  8:26 PM)Blue Wrote: I guess I do come across like that but it can't be helped if I don't agree, but you have a high horse too.
and Naw man. I'm tring to rebalance this for the sake of discussion, even playing the devils advocate to some degree, because I find it interesting.

Yeah but the difference is you do this in almost every serious discussion. I can't count on my two hands the number of times you've swooped down out of nowhere to preach to the rest of us about how we're being unfair. Whether or not you agree with our opinion, I don't think it's necessary for you to call us trolls and reprimand us simply for the sake of playing "devil's advocate".

Blue Wrote:I tried to make it pretty clear that it seems redundant to post and say I don't believe or I won't participate. It seems even more redundant to try an lessen its significance, as if there is anysimilar to compare it too. Thus I say its kind of trolling.

How is it redundant to express a disagreement? "I don't think this is going to accomplish anything and no one is able to provide me with any evidence to the contrary, so therefore I am not going to participate because I don't see any good in it" is hardly redundant -- it's a valid opinion and the fact that you're poo-pooing it and once again trying to make us look like we're morally corrupt is beyond frustrating.
(Mar. 30, 2009  3:02 AM)Roan Wrote: Yeah but the difference is you do this in almost every serious discussion. I can't count on my two hands the number of times you've swooped down out of nowhere to preach to the rest of us about how we're being unfair. Whether or not you agree with our opinion, I don't think it's necessary for you to call us trolls and reprimand us simply for the sake of playing "devil's advocate".

Well I think 10+ is exaggerating it but yes I have "swooped down" from nowhere, likely because I often miss out on the beginning of the discussion because I am not online.
So what can I do other than stick up for or voice my opinion in response to what has already been said.
I guess I should not have said trolling, but thats how I saw it. I don't think I was being that harsh, thats why I said 'trolling', everyone here is far from being a troll 24/7.

Quote:How is it redundant to express a disagreement? "I don't think this is going to accomplish anything and no one is able to provide me with any evidence to the contrary, so therefore I am not going to participate because I don't see any good in it" is hardly redundant -- it's a valid opinion and the fact that you're poo-pooing it and once again trying to make us look like we're morally corrupt is beyond frustrating.
Had you said it like that then I would have probably just pointed out the good that did come of it. It is redundant it express your disagreement and not support it.

You actually posted twice in the topic saying essentially the same thing twice. "Seriously.... I don't see what good (if any) will come of this."

That sounds actually pretty ominous to me and like poo-pooing too. You make it sound as if earth hour is source of evil...?
I also think that 'good' is self evident in this case, as a approximately(a bit lofty I admit) 1 billion people turned off their lights. In both scale and time, I think the movement is a good sign. Thus some good that came of it.

Your opinion is valid, but you can still be wrong.
Frankly I really didn't have a problem with what you said Roan, I did try provide some of the good you couldn't see, aii. I actually was stirred by Brad and Artie's points lol.

Agree to disagree?
(Mar. 30, 2009  5:05 AM)Blue Wrote: Your opinion is valid, but you can still be wrong.
Frankly I really didn't have a problem with what you said Roan, I did try provide some of the good you couldn't see, aii. I actually was stirred by Brad and Artie's points lol.

How about you stop incessantly calling me out when my beliefs do not coincide with your own? You've done it twice in this thread, and you've been doing it for ages. So basically .... back off?

Thanks <3
(Mar. 30, 2009  7:26 PM)Artie Wrote: How about you stop incessantly calling me out when my beliefs do not coincide with your own? You've done it twice in this thread, and you've been doing it for ages. So basically .... back off?

Thanks <3

Agree.
Alright.