Earth Hour: March 28, 8:30-9:30pm.

It's 9: 33 over here, and I just turned on my first light after over an hour of darkness.
I did my part.
I didn't. Cool

But seriously... I don't see what good (if any) will come of this.
i am not going to sit in the dark to prove some half-assed point when i live every day conserving energy as best i can
I had a conference call, and last I checked it was not exactly feasible to conduct work in the dark so I decided to take the route of the 'Bad Samaritan'.
I had some stuff to do, I needed light...

(Mar. 29, 2009  2:35 AM)Roan Wrote: But seriously... I don't see what good (if any) will come of this.

Some people saved a little money I guess.
wow, I can't believe some of you guys.

I certainly didn't do this for some piece of self righteous satisfaction. Wasn't even my decision alone to make, my family did.

You guys downplay it as being insignificant but its not, millions of people around the world have opted to turn off, and has grown pretty fast for a 2 year old movement. Its a symbolicevent, showing that some are concerned. Don't look for massive world change. For most of us that all we might want to give up, but it better than nothing.

As for the good that comes of it, well lots of cool things happen. The silence was nice. the photos to come of dark skylines are cool. the reduced strain on the grid is welcome. thats enough for me.

but whatever I try to switch carp off all the time. Pretty much every light in my household is cfl.

BUT theres no reason to justify why you won't participate, just don't. You would just be going about as if it were a normal Saturday night. Nothing wrong with that. You guys are kind of trolling.

Artie, 1.8 people die somewhere every second, not the third world alone. I hate to make assumptions, but assuming you have not participated knowing these things how is that better?
we have to start somewhere.

what ever
I didn't have a reason to not participate, so my lights were off for the hour. But I do see what Brad is saying.

Edit: great post Blue
(Mar. 27, 2009  7:01 PM)Giga Wrote: Yeah Good point :\ I'll do it at 0.00 to 1.00 AM, oh wait...

XD the lights are already off then :p

That was scary, the whole hour with a candle
(Mar. 29, 2009  6:52 AM)Blue Wrote: wow, I can't believe some of you guys.

I certainly didn't do this for some piece of self righteous satisfaction. Wasn't even my decision alone to make, my family did.

You guys downplay it as being insignificant but its not, millions of people around the world have opted to turn off, and has grown pretty fast for a 2 year old movement. Its a symbolicevent, showing that some are concerned. Don't look for massive world change. For most of us that all we might want to give up, but it better than nothing.

As for the good that comes of it, well lots of cool things happen. The silence was nice. the photos to come of dark skylines are cool. the reduced strain on the grid is welcome. thats enough for me.

but whatever I try to switch carp off all the time. Pretty much every light in my household is cfl.

BUT theres no reason to justify why you won't participate, just don't. You would just be going about as if it were a normal Saturday night. Nothing wrong with that. You guys are kind of trolling.

Artie, 1.8 people die somewhere every second, not the third world alone. I hate to make assumptions, but assuming you have not participated knowing these things how is that better?

what ever

Exactly what I have in mind about this thread.
Never did it, was watching primeval, which is great and anyway, we have I lights off when we go to bed and when it's day time, isn't that good enough?
(Mar. 29, 2009  2:06 PM)Zander Wrote: Never did it, was watching primeval, which is great and anyway, we have I lights off when we go to bed and when it's day time, isn't that good enough?

As well as day-light saving time. I would think that's enough.
O yeah. Completely forgot and that happened to day as well.
(Mar. 29, 2009  6:52 AM)Blue Wrote: Artie, 1.8 people die somewhere every second, not the third world alone. I hate to make assumptions, but assuming you have not participated knowing these things how is that better?

My whole point is that I would rather attention be focused on the people carp dying and suffering in the world than this retarded god damn symbol of a day.

This was advertised pretty heavily through various mediums, was it not? So all that money could have been put toward something much more worthwhile (in my eyes) in helping and caring for the poor as opposed to pimping this day that makes us feel good about acting like responsible human beings for one day. There are significant problems with the world around us, in both the Earth itself and its inhabitants. I choose to worry about the inhabitants.

And for your information, none of my parents (nor I) were home at all last night--so I guess I "participated".
We were out but we left the lights on anyways. I told my parents to switch them of but they ignored me.....:\
(Mar. 29, 2009  2:32 PM)Rocky Wrote: We were out but we left the lights on anyways. I told my parents to switch them of but they ignored me.....:\

They probably had a reason for that.

When your leaving your house, people leave on their lights sometimes just to be on the safe side, especially if your away from a long time, don't have a house alarm and it's darkish outside. If the lights are left on, a potiental burgular will not attempt anything because they'll think people are inside.
Yeah I know......I'm just saying. I mean, it's Earth Hour so it's not excatly unusual to see a house with no lights on. :\
(Mar. 29, 2009  2:32 PM)Rocky Wrote: We were out but we left the lights on anyways. I told my parents to switch them of but they ignored me.....:\

What the? My parnets would never do that, we even close the doors when we go out but then we do have dogs that we don't want jumping on the sofa or going in the kitchen.
(Mar. 29, 2009  6:52 AM)Blue Wrote: wow, I can't believe some of you guys.

what ever

Whatever dude you always do this. Get off your moral high horse and stop acting like just because we don't agree with or participate in some event that we're somehow reprehensible people.

Besides, as others have mentioned in this thread, some of us didn't have a choice to participate. I know that if I had asked my parents to do this they would've laughed at me and told me to go away.
(Mar. 29, 2009  4:27 PM)Roan Wrote: Whatever dude you always do this. Get off your moral high horse and stop acting like just because we don't agree with or participate in some event that we're somehow reprehensible people.

I don't think that Blue was trying to make people who didn't participate into reprehensible people, since as it has been pointed out, some people couldn't or already do their part in their every day lives. It was just that the attitude that some of you expressed towards the event was not very good when what it was trying to accomplish was admirable.

Like Blue said, Earth Hour is more of a symbolic event than something that is really supposed to produce massive change. It's a good reminder about global warming and such for people.

What a waste of electricity XD We always leave ours off when we go...
Well i turned the lights off.
And for those that said their parents would not let them, Why dont you just turn the lights off in your room?
We turned our lights off. Grin
We were out all day so.
I did it, I actually had a bit of fun. We had absolutely nothing on, no heat either...it was freezing, but I had fun. We lit a bunch of candles and had a big jam session ^^
(Mar. 29, 2009  4:27 PM)Roan Wrote: Whatever dude you always do this. Get off your moral high horse and stop acting like just because we don't agree with or participate in some event that we're somehow reprehensible people.
I guess I do come across like that but it can't be helped if I don't agree, but you have a high horse too.
and Naw man. I'm tring to rebalance this for the sake of discussion, even playing the devils advocate to some degree, because I find it interesting.

I tried to make it pretty clear that it seems redundant to post and say I don't believe or I won't participate. It seems even more redundant to try an lessen its significance, as if there is anysimilar to compare it too. Thus I say its kind of trolling.

Artie, understood what you mean't before, but that makes it more clear.
And its easy to say I agree now, but I do. Remeber this? But I don't think Earth Hour a wasted effort either. It makes steps in a positive direction.
As for money spent, look at all that bailout money? That should have trickled-up. GM should have fallen.
What is being done about darfur or palestine?

I do not know.

I enjoy these discussions.