Deluge (Work in Progress)

Well, I've decided that I want to start writing again and in deciding this I have come up with a concept for a new story.

I have not made up my mind as to whether or not this story is going to be a full blown novel or if I will keep it as a short story. But what I do know is that I am going to try writing this in a way that I have never written before. But before I get into the technical stuff I suppose I should give a summary on what this story is going to be about.

The world in Deluge is very different to the world we know today. In a not too distant future every scientists worst nightmare has come true and the polar ice caps have melted due to global warming, blanketing the entirety of North America in water. The story of Deluge revolves around a man by the name of David Lausam who among many others in this overnight disaster has been separated from his family and chronicles his journey to find them as well as the other things he finds along the way.

I suppose the big deal about this project is that I am going to write this story without any sort of planning or pre-writing from start to finish, fleshing out the story as I go. I plan on doing little to no editing after the story is complete and then publishing it online. The reason for this is that I am trying to shake my perfectionist ways that always seem to deter me from finishing any sort of story that I start.

Unfortunately I don't have any passages or anything to share today, but like my Celestial topic I plan on posting updates on my progress as I write the story with samples and previews.

Just thought I'd inform you all that I'm on to my next crazy idea. lol
I have to say that I completely sympathize with you, Roan, in regards to combating perfectionism. Its been so long since I've created anything that hasn't been for work or school, I feel in some ways with education and exposure to more art I've lost an ability to be satisifed with my own work.

As far as the idea its hard to make any judgement or comment yet. Of course it's just a beginning but I guess the fact that it is just a beginning is so intregal to the writing style that there's not much more you can say. Still, I love dystopian (thats the feel I got that you were working towards) fiction.

A few questions you might consider thinking about (because SOME planning is always necessary);

Do you mean overnight disaster literally?

By what is he seperated from his family?

The project reminds me of an animation I created a while back, where I made a concious effort not to delete anything in hopes of creating a finished product that could be complete in its own imperfection. Of course, the whole thing fell apart by the end but I can only wish you better luck in yours.

Its always inspirational to see artists working to improve themselves. I'll be watching this Joyful_2
What would be cool is if you published it online as you went along.
incondite Wrote:What would be cool is if you published it online as you went along.

This is an idea I was considering.

Posting chapters online as I finish them, sort of blog-style.
Double post, blah shut up.

I set up a blog to post updates. There's not much to see right now, but this is where I will be posting most if not all of the updates:

http://theworldhasdrowned.blogspot.com/

Bookmark it, subscribe to the feed, etc. K thnx.
The World Has Drowned? I like that title. Anyways, as a writer myself, I'll be checking back on this.

I wrote and published a novella a while back and it took all I had to finish it. Looking back over it I realized I could have done so much better. Since finishing that work I just haven't been able to start myself on any serious long term writing project.

I want to though.
Roan Wrote:
incondite Wrote:What would be cool is if you published it online as you went along.

This is an idea I was considering.

Posting chapters online as I finish them, sort of blog-style.

Problem with that is you it could put you under pressure, and it could get rushed. And doing it that way, you dont technically have a middle or an end, so you might just end up going on and on.

But yeah, I like your idea. Its a plot commonly used in movies, so try and make it stand out as different to the usual disaster storyline. I believe you'd do that anyways.
First snippet of the story is up. I know it isn't much of a chapter, but I think its more than enough to set up what I'm aiming for.

You guys are in for such a wild ride with this. I can't wait to hear what you all have to say, both good and bad.

Anyway, hit it up on the blog here:

http://theworldhasdrowned.blogspot.com/

Leave comments there or leave them here, doesn't matter which, I'll respond to them all. Or at least try to. Smile

Also knux, don't worry about the pressure. I'm only posting chapters online as I finish them. I'm in no rush at all to get to the finish line. For me, this story is my opus and the process of getting to the end is much more important than actually getting there.

This project is all about artistic growth for myself, pushing myself in new directions. Like most all of my other projects.
Double post, but oh well. The first "real" chapter is up:

http://theworldhasdrowned.blogspot.com/2...ter-1.html

Comments and the like are always appreciated. Smile