Deception tactics in tournaments

Poll: Do you think deception is important in tournaments?

Yes
55.84%
Sorta/ Yes and No
28.57%
No
11.69%
Not sure/Undecided
3.90%
Total: 100% 154 vote(s)
Of course deception is an amazing idea. This is the only reason why I've been able to beat everyone who has a massive amount of beypoints because I learn their style of play and let them learn mine. From having my enemy think they know my style, I can switch it up.
Dunno if it's been mentioned but the battle is very much a mental thing and won before the beyblades even hit the stage. First off if you're older and bigger then you are already intimidating, beyblades aside of this fact. Being very quiet can also help intimidate your opponent, secrecy is killer. Also another strategy to opt for is looking like you're super insecure, trembling hands, shifty eyes, and the sort, then switch over to being very calm and confident and *bam* instant pysche killer!
^ no matter how deceptive you are its not going to help your mf-h earth bull gb145rs beat burn bull 85wd
Slightly off topic but since you mentioned it what's the run time on burn bull 85wd? With the 100 track mine could spin for roughly 3 minutes and 40 seconds.
But to bring back to topic, ya you're probably right, deception may not help against a purely superior beyblade lol.
In response to Bey Brad's tactic.

Um..how are you supposed to do that without being obvious or breaking you'r prong.

I just tried doing that and, it took some amount of strength to turn the prongs (one handed, I used the other to keep the bey under the launcher and concealed) and I thought I was going to break it by pushing it hard.
and I thought it looked kind of obvious, or would look to the other person.
The next step in "deception" tactics is to keep a light mood about yourself and keep your focus on your opponents' bey that they are using or you suspect they will use. And example would be to keep your eyes on a certain group of people near you that you can keep a constant conversation with.

Once you have done this you can take casual short but not hasty glances at the opponent who may be likely to be trying to read your expression. Keep contact at eye level and make sure you don't reach to counter whatever your opponent is doing prior to battle.

Your opponent may recognize or suspect after the first or second battle that you are intent on finding out what bey they will use. Resolve this by keeping some other beys that you may be able to use to beat them with in front of you keeping your main beys cycling between the maybes and the indefinites.

As a last note to the is post keep calm and focused on what it will take a minute ahead to beat your current opponent. Once again If you find yourself bey battling against a friend or team mate keep everything as casual and unpersonalized as can be possible. If you lose in the end be happy for them and don't keep a grudge against them. The previous advice is suggested and meant mostly for during a tournament.

WARNING: As mentioned before this is not backed up with solidary proof of actually being affective!
I think that's way too impractical for a tournament setting. That's more on the side of common sense, not deception. Deception is more like manipulating your opponent into moving a move to give you the advantage.
The above post was mainly part two in honest "deception" more like "countering" your opponents' ideas, which can also lead to your own demise by trying to hard and over doing it. Also If you rely to much on deception you may be labeled as a bey deceiver...Which you may find a cool side name, but I do not.
Do you call a poker player who can bluff a bad person/player? No, they just know how to work the game. This goes for any game. Ever play a TCG and try to get a person to not play a card?
Interesting metaphors, I see your point in this discussion<off topic
(Jan. 30, 2011  5:09 AM)Bey Brad Wrote: Of course, now that the secret's out, it will be hard to get this to work. But I think this is one of the most advanced techniques you can use.

LOL Brad this is exactly why I had not ever made a thread regarding deception long ago! The less people who know and actively think about it, the better! Tongue_out
You know, normally you keep a poker face to make sure you don't give your opponent any clues, but you could use facial expression to your advantage and make them uncertain.

Like if you went up against a combo that was just bad or bad against your combo, you would put on something like an "oh no!" face and make them keep that combo, making them easier to beat. But if you went up against a combo that was good against yours, you could put on a smug face or evil grin, and make them switch to another combo they made that's very different from the one they were originally using, which would be weak against your type. Like if you had earth bull 85WD, and they had vulcan horuseus 85r2f, you could convince them to switch to something like earth bull GB145RS. This would be very advantageous.
Do you think I should add that last one to the OP about facial expressions?
i have my own deception tactic: dont revile anything, your beys, your fav combos, and most importantly your deception tactic (see how little i revealed), if they dont know it, they cant counter it. am i right?

also bluffing (kinda what like Ga'Hooleone just said a post or two up) is a good idea
I think something that's also important when you're trying to deceive the competition, is being aware of who else will try to be deceiving others. You might just end up screwing yourself over.
I've got a decent tip. Use parts that do good in multiple types. For example, CS has use in both Attack and Defense types. In this scenario, you should try to only keep CS visible to your opponent so they don't know what to counter with. However, if they do happen to see that your CS is attached to an Earth, they will be alert that you're using a Defense type and use a Stamina type to counter. If they see your CS attached to Quetz and CH120, they'll know you're using an Attack type and use a Defense type to counter. Sorry if it's not the most effective piece of advice, just trying to help.
(Feb. 01, 2011  2:12 AM)GaHooleone Wrote: Do you think I should add that last one to the OP about facial expressions?

The facial thing really only works on little kids. No one in the NY/NJ community uses faces. It really does not work and it makes your bluff too obvious.
remaining expressionless or just straight up amiable cant hurt
^true. being friendly never hurts.
Alright I always thought this was a good one how about before the tournament begins and your battling in free play lose alot on purpose by using a weak launch.
So try and use 70-80% power and obviously others will be using 100% if not 90% in free play. ACT ACT ACT don't make other people say
'why are you using a weak launch'
Try exaggerating your moves a tiny bit while still restraining how fast you pull.
So then it's all over and you start the tournament now some people will not use all they have vs you they may use 90% just because they now it's not worth it ok so now you use 100% and the battle is more likely to be yours and now the person knows you actualy have a stronger launch so now it can only work on another person who hasn't seen you launch.
You know if you've been to a tournament before and people see your not using enough power just act and lie about why you can't lauch it fast enough
like saying
'man i'm not even sure if I should have come to the tournament my arm hurts I think I strained it somehow'
I don't see how pulling the ripcord/string at 100% power is such a strenuous task? I haven't ever launched weakly because my opponent is weaker
(Feb. 01, 2011  2:53 PM)momiji manju Wrote: I don't see how pulling the ripcord/string at 100% power is such a strenuous task? I haven't ever launched weakly because my opponent is weaker
100% to me is pulling the as fast as you possibly can

Well other people may not pull as fast as possible when there is no need
(Jan. 31, 2011  5:23 AM)Zeox Wrote: In response to Bey Brad's tactic.

Um..how are you supposed to do that without being obvious or breaking you'r prong.

I just tried doing that and, it took some amount of strength to turn the prongs (one handed, I used the other to keep the bey under the launcher and concealed) and I thought I was going to break it by pushing it hard.

I never had any trouble twisting it with my bare hand.

Can't believe no one else responded, but I guess people were too preoccupied by Bluezee and Deikailo using this thread to express their arrogance.
Hm, well after I posted that, I tried doing that with the Light launcher, and it is surprisingly easier for me. That post I made before, I used the Beylauncher. So Brad, were you talking about the Light launcher or the Bey launcher?

Edit: or maybe it's just me lol
(Feb. 01, 2011  7:20 PM)Bey Brad Wrote:
(Jan. 31, 2011  5:23 AM)Zeox Wrote: In response to Bey Brad's tactic.

I never had any trouble twisting it with my bare hand.

Can't believe no one else responded, but I guess people were too preoccupied by Bluezee and Deikailo using this thread to express their arrogance.

So do you mind expressing how we are using this to express our arrogance? I really dont see it.