Chrono Trigger DS

Bey Brad Wrote:it's not like it's an old game that could be re-released for an entirely new generation of gamers to experience or anything

Except that they won't. Not that they couldn't, but seriously, what "new generation" gamer is going to pick CTDS off the shelf when its next to Pokémon Platinum and Kingdom Hearts and all of that?

The people who're gunna pick this one up are the ones who played it when they were kids, not kids themselves.

As for me, this is just another cheap port and I'm quite happy emulating the SAME carp game on my DS without paying 40+ for a game I already own :-P

I see so much ragging from gamers on Square', saying they should create new stuff for once, and everyone goes mad over a port (not remake; no one gives a carp about touch controls and I know I for one wouldn't use them) of a game thats almost 15 years old.
Marin Wrote:Except that they won't. Not that they couldn't, but seriously, what "new generation" gamer is going to pick CTDS off the shelf when its next to Pokémon Platinum and Kingdom Hearts and all of that?

I see so much ragging from gamers on Square', saying they should create new stuff for once, and everyone goes mad over a port (not remake; no one gives a carp about touch controls and I know I for one wouldn't use them) of a game thats almost 15 years old.
Hmm, I guess I'm a "new generation" gamer (used to play Genesis, but my first console was N64). I would take this over either of those games.

Well, Square-Enix has created something new for once, and that would be The World Ends With you. Which is one of the best games on the DS. Considering the original CT was so amazing, they have no reason to alter the original creators work. Maybe they could have remade it into 3D, but I have no clue if that would have benefited the experience at all or not.
Marin Wrote:
Bey Brad Wrote:it's not like it's an old game that could be re-released for an entirely new generation of gamers to experience or anything

Except that they won't. Not that they couldn't, but seriously, what "new generation" gamer is going to pick CTDS off the shelf when its next to Pokémon Platinum and Kingdom Hearts and all of that?

The people who're gunna pick this one up are the ones who played it when they were kids, not kids themselves.

As for me, this is just another cheap port and I'm quite happy emulating the SAME carp game on my DS without paying 40+ for a game I already own :-P

this post is just dumb
look

i get to play chrono trigger without my macbook choking on snes9x

world is happy
SexyMichael Wrote:this post is just dumb

you make good points

Kei Wrote:Hmm, I guess I'm a "new generation" gamer (used to play Genesis, but my first console was N64). I would take this over either of those games.

Of course there are exceptions, ignoring the fact that the art style which is very typical of SNES-era RPGs seems archaic to most under 18 is impossible.

Kei Wrote:Well, Square-Enix has created something new for once, and that would be The World Ends With you. Which is one of the best games on the DS. Considering the original CT was so amazing, they have no reason to alter the original creators work. Maybe they could have remade it into 3D, but I have no clue if that would have benefited the experience at all or not.

TWEWY was admitably a great game, under it all. But, considering the original CT came out over a decade ago, I see no reason to leave it unaltered and still sell it at what is undoubtedly not going to be a budget price (at least here in the west). The fact is the game will sell well because its by square and people love rehashes, and regardless of how much you might appreciate it now, you might regret the purchase when they port Final Fantasy II to the DS3 ten years from now for the umpteenth time.
Marin Wrote:
SexyMichael Wrote:this post is just dumb

you make good points

Well it's true.

You're saying that people who've never heard of or played CT won't want to buy this game, which doesn't make any sense really.

The snes era was by far the best era for RPGs. Square is now re releasing a game that is considered one of the best rpgs on the snes. It's getting a tonne of hype online. Graphics for handhelds are lol, especially the DS. And the $40-45 price tags on DS games are affordable compared to anything else.

Kids who've never played CT are just going to see an rpg that their older brothers and friends are going ape carp about, and they're gonna pick it up.
Not gonna lie, I think the SNES is overrated and I hate (most) Eastern RPGs, but I will probably buy this based solely on all of the good things I have heard about it from friends and other gamers.

:\
Roan Wrote:Not gonna lie, I think the SNES is overrated and I hate (most) Eastern RPGs, but I will probably buy this based solely on all of the good things I have heard about it from friends and other gamers.

:\

YEAHHHHHHHHHHHHHH WOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO
Yes, indeed, because every port/remake is golden.
Takao Daimao Wrote:Yes, indeed, because every port/remake is golden.

would you just SHUT UP ALREADY

they're taking an amazing game and not changing it

how could it be bad
You answered your own question.
Takao Daimao Wrote:You answered your own question.

uh, what
Takao Daimao Wrote:You answered your own question.

There is a pretty limited amount of people who have played Chrono Trigger.

I am one of the people who haven't. I fail to see how re-releasing the game on the MOST SOLD CONSOLE THIS GEN is a bad thing, even if they aren't doing much to make it "new".

It will sell since pretty much everyone and their mother has a DS, and the graphics will look fine since the DS isn't capable of high-res 3D anyhow.

I agree that Square should have done SOME remastering of the sprites and backgrounds to clean up the jaggies, but there's really only so much they can do with the DS without remaking the entire game in 3D, and while that's worked for FF3 and FF4 on DS, I don't think a 3D remake would suit Chrono Trigger.

Since you're so high on the idea that they need to add something else to the game, why don't you suggest something outside of graphical upgrades instead of incessantly bitching?
Alright, how about fix that problem reviewers had with the game those 15 years ago. IT IS INCREDBILY CLICHED. 15 Years later, and if you're porting it, as is, when there has been thousands of cliched RPGs made, don't you think that is going to greatly hinder its' critical response?
Takao Daimao Wrote:Alright, how about fix that problem reviewers had with the game those 15 years ago. IT IS INCREDBILY CLICHED. 15 Years later, and if you're porting it, as is, when there has been thousands of cliched RPGs made, don't you think that is going to greatly hinder its' critical response?

People are not going to come into a 15 year old game and expect it not to be cliched.

And if they changed the story or anything like that, it wouldn't be Chrono Trigger anymore.
Takao Daimao Wrote:Alright, how about fix that problem reviewers had with the game those 15 years ago. IT IS INCREDBILY CLICHED. 15 Years later, and if you're porting it, as is, when there has been thousands of cliched RPGs made, don't you think that is going to greatly hinder its' critical response?

get the hell out

please

if you don't even like the game why the hell are you in this thread

get out

get out
There is nothing wrong with the story. That is the reason I actually sat through to try to complete the game. Despite the fact that it probably took long to load things since my brother apparently had the PSone port, not the SNES original.

My problem lies within the gameplay mechanics, it played like every other RPG out there. But then again, considering this is Square Enix, where pretty much all mainseries Dragon Quest games play like they're from '95, I shouldn't be surprised game play isn't being updated.
Takao Daimao Wrote:My problem lies within the gameplay mechanics, it played like every other RPG out there. But then again, considering this is Square Enix, where pretty much all mainseries Dragon Quest games play like they're from '95, I shouldn't be surprised game play isn't being updated.

chrono trigger's battle system was revolutionary and you are a huge idiot for expecting them to change the battle system in a PORT

jesus why even remake the game if you are going to change the largest part of it
Takao Daimao Wrote:My problem lies within the gameplay mechanics, it played like every other RPG out there. But then again, considering this is Square Enix, where pretty much all mainseries Dragon Quest games play like they're from '95, I shouldn't be surprised game play isn't being updated.

WOULD YOU SHUT UP

maybe it plays like every other modern RPG because it was the carp first to do so? and maybe THATS why its so adored by its fan because its was so amazing at the time?

jesus christ you're carp worse than the republicans i antagonize
Artie Wrote:

WOULD YOU SHUT UP

maybe it plays like every other modern RPG because it was the carp first to do so? and maybe THATS why its so adored by its fan because its was so amazing at the time?

jesus christ you're carp worse than the republicans i antagonize

thisssssssssssssssssssssssss x10000000
lol Artie, I played Chrono Trigger in the late 90's, when all there was on the shelf was either Final Fantasy, or Wild Arms in terms of JRPGS.

If it is a port, then why is there so much press, and attention put towards it? This is honestly the most publicized port I've ever seen. I understand to many this is a port of their greatest RPG ever made, but still, don't you have your original to go home and play? Kids today won't care that CT made the battle system the play. They won't care, because they have a 1000 different games that play the same, and because of that they won't buy it. So who leaves this game for? The people who already own the original, oh wow.

And isn't this being kind of cheap or SE? I'm sure a port of CT wouldn't exactly push the DS's carts to its' memory capacities.
Takao Daimao Wrote:lol Artie, I played Chrono Trigger in the late 90's, when all there was on the shelf was either Final Fantasy, or Wild Arms in terms of JRPGS.

If it is a port, then why is there so much press, and attention put towards it? This is honestly the most publicized port I've ever seen. I understand to many this is a port of their greatest RPG ever made, but still, don't you have your original to go home and play? Kids today won't care that CT made the battle system the play. They won't care, because they have a 1000 different games that play the same, and because of that they won't buy it. So who leaves this game for? The people who already own the original, oh wow.

And isn't this being kind of cheap or SE? I'm sure a port of CT wouldn't exactly push the DS's carts to its' memory capacities.

Ugh, you are impossible.

Just stop whining. Really, its cool that you don't like this port idea or whatever, but you're sort of angering me by pissing all over it for everyone else.

You're serving no purpose in this thread other than to troll it, and you're doing a sub-par job.
Takao Daimao Wrote:lol Artie, I played Chrono Trigger in the late 90's, when all there was on the shelf was either Final Fantasy, or Wild Arms in terms of JRPGS.

[Image: 1202358094845wt3.gif]
you were carp like 4-5 years old tops so your opinion at the time matters for null

also maybe, just maybe, you think its so fans can actually PLAY THE GAME? the cart is carp impossible to find

jesus christ stop posting.gif