Cars

What's the insurance like for young drivers in America? A lot of forums I look at usually have young drivers with these fairly big cars, which in the UK costs a bomb for even a shoebox car with little power in it.

Had to sell my Civic Type R in order to pay for bills but managed to get this instead.

Old car:
http://i55.tinypic.com/21o0ied.jpg

Newish:
http://i53.tinypic.com/25ztk6p.jpg
^its very expensive but it also depends on the type of car you are driving (sedan, SUV, coupe, sports car etc), age/driving record and price of the car. I think my insurance is either $4,000 a year or $4,000 every half year. And Im driving an Infiniti G37S, sedan, but it's my first car that I got when I was 16 and its a fairly expensive car in the whole realm of things.
(Jun. 26, 2011  10:07 PM)SaMaster14 Wrote: And BeybladeStation: I totally agree. That car only has a manual transmission though. But because of the price I'm seriously considering a mustang GT/cs or a camaro ZL1. Both are worlds better than my Infiniti performance wise and less expensive/ as expensive. BUT, the infiniti does have better technology, comfort and an elegance/luxury factor. Which. Is why I'm also looking at the Audi S5, BMW 335iS and Infiniti G37 IPL.
The thing is, this car cannot stack up to cars in ts range for a Higher Price Tag. Generally, I would assume that the SVT Performance Package that Ford made would improve this, but it really didn't. They need to take some weight off and replace it with some tourque. 380 LB. Torque? That's garbage compared to some 430-450 2012 Nissan GT-R, and that's not even too expensive for a rich guy.
^True, but to make a Mustang or Camaro comparable to a GT-R, it would probably have the price tag of a GT-R.

Personally, I love Nissan/Infiniti and European cars (I've just never liked the look and feel of American muscle), and I will probably get a Nissan GT-R soon after college. Thats why I'm still considering the Audi/BMW/Infiniti (sure they may not be as fast... but do you really need all that speed if your not racing your car?)
lmao @ richard hammond from top gear writing "almost" in front of the "500" in "GT 500"

I don't know what it is about kids and big cars these days, as well as their mindset of having gigantic amounts of power. I see a lot of young drivers here with Challengers, 2011 Mustangs, etc only for them to die or get hurt in an accident (recently 3 teenagers at my school died in an accident due to joyriding in a 2011 Challenger @120 mph, the fourth passenger in said car is in critical condition last time I heard) (driver of said Challenger has an older sister who has a 2010 Mustang and wrecked it when she got it [her entire front end was crumpled]).

It's better to start off small then work your way up. Insurance is high for the first two years driving, and it rises even more if you get something like a sports car. Besides from insurance is also the fact that people lack experience when actually driving in traffic.

For those interested in the AE86 "Hachi-Roku" Corolla; you might want to set your sights on something else. These cars are practically 30+ years old now, and need a lot of love and work to get them running. The good-looking, running ones usually are expensive, and even the old ones still command a price despite its age, mainly due to its rarity (Initial D really did not help either). I like to think of them as "Japan's E30", ha.

I know the adventures in Initial D are appealing (I myself watched it, fell in love with the 86, and wanted one in real life as well), but as a beginner driver and (possibly) gearhead/greasemonkey.. lmao. If you wanna drift, get the Drift Bible (it's actually pretty great, subtitled too).

Power vs Control thoughts anyone? There's plenty of "power over control" people in this topic lately, and I'm wondering why people have forgotten all about control.. Unhappy
^For me a G37S is starting small and working my way up :p
Then again, its slower than a Mustang GT500/Camaro RS/Challenger SRT8... but its definitely a very fast car and a fun car. But it also has more luxuries and safety features than the basic muscle car. I hit 125 mph in my car, and I personally felt very safe at that speed (slowed down pretty quickly cause I didn't want to get caught... but I was in total control of the car and there was nobody else on the road...). Most muscle cars have worse handling and you can loose control of them quite quickly
(Jun. 27, 2011  12:07 AM)SaMaster14 Wrote: ^For me a G37S is starting small and working my way up :p
Then again, its slower than a Mustang GT500/Camaro RS/Challenger SRT8... but its definitely a very fast car and a fun car. But it also has more luxuries and safety features than the basic muscle car. I hit 125 mph in my car, and I personally felt very safe at that speed (slowed down pretty quickly cause I didn't want to get caught... but I was in total control of the car and there was nobody else on the road...). Most muscle cars have worse handling and you can loose control of them quite quickly

If you want to get your speed and motorsport fix you should take it to the track to not put anyone's life in danger, regardless if "nobody else [was] on the road" or not. You never really know what'll happen in a split second. A person or deer can come out of nowhere and you might not have enough distance/time to react.

I really don't want anyone on this board hurt from reckless and irresponsible driving or joyriding.

Serious
(Jun. 27, 2011  12:07 AM)SaMaster14 Wrote: ^For me a G37S is starting small and working my way up :p

Reason alot of people think they have worse handling is a true muscle car is rear wheel drive. Alot of inexperienced drivers do not know how to drive a rear wheel drive because a majority of cars these days are front wheel if not all wheel drive.
I will never consider myself an experienced driver because you will learn something new everyday. I ride motorcycles also and i get my speed fix from that. Any imbecile can go fast straight but only a good driver can control the speed in a turn which does apply to bikes also.
I have a ninja 636 prepped for track use. If I want to get my hooligan fix I bring it to the track, nice clean and controled environment.
bugturtles I'm a teen, totally no kid. I don't look up high like kids do. Actually, some guys at my age are like:

"OMG, I wish I had that Ferarri, eh, who cares, I'll be rich in sports and buy it!!"

That's not me. See, as my first car. I want a simple sedan. Something Ford or Toyota makes. That would make anything to Taurus to Corolla. I've already got my own apartment now, and I'm saving up for a car.

SaMaster14 See, Americans like us have it weird. The only places you'll ever be showing off your car is in the big city... probably the biggest place for it to get stolen...

The GT-R is beautiful, Japanese craftsmanship. I have always parted on America's power, and have seen all the Muscle Cars Ford made in the 80's. I'm not sure if you knew, but the GT-R is able to 'unlock' it's power @ a race track. IE: The Portland Raceway, if you took the GT-R there, the car would automatically use its Navigation System to let go of the Speed Governors. If anything, we could atleast par our cars to it. The best thing tah I've ever scene pull out in a Mid-Price would be the beauty you want, the ZL1. As any car, it is way highly exaggerated for its performance. Hopefully it will be taken to the Dyno by Motortrend soon.

If there's any car I've ever dreamed of, it would be the Ferrari 458 Italia. Now that thing, oh... man.

But for now, I'm sticking with Racing Red Shelby, that I want soon.
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------
If anything, mentioning rear drive, I hate that of Shelby GT500. It has terrible Rear Drive. Sure, experts can smoke its tires, but the load in the back is terrible.
(Jun. 27, 2011  2:22 AM)ikmv Wrote: I have a ninja 636 prepped for track use. If I want to get my hooligan fix I bring it to the track, nice clean and controled environment.

Every now and then I regret selling my pocketbike; my desire for speed was fulfilled every single time I rode it. 35 mph (even less) at that height makes you feel like you're FLYING.

(Jun. 27, 2011  2:42 AM)BeyBladestation Wrote: bugturtles I'm a teen, totally no kid.

i'm more or less referring to anyone that's not fully an adult yet lol. mainly towards teenagers, especially new teenage drivers who have the invincibility mentality.

-----

wish i could bring my car to the track or something, but due to its constant need for small repairs here and there, not happening for a while. i -would- love to go to one of those bmw driving schools with my car too; 3 hour drive to virginia's VIR from here isn't that bad.
My dream car is a 1983 DeLorean DMC-12. If I had enough money, I'd buy stuff to put on the car like in the movie Back to the Future. That's my dream car, a DeLorean with all that stuff put on it. Other than that geeky dream car, my DREAM dream car is a Bugatti Veyron. I'd take that sucker to the Autobahn and go the maximum speed. I doubt I could afford that in my lifetime. A 13 year old can dream, right?
bugturtles, I was on the free way in Los Angeles. The only thing that would have jumped out at me would have been a cop... And I only did it once, I was alone in the car and will probably never do it again (if not only for the reason that its bad for my tired :p ... jk jk).
I'm thinking of doing a racing/track course with it this summer though (a legitimate one).

ikmv, you are definitely right. The new Mustang Boss was tested to handle as well as any BMW M3 on the road. But a car with that much power is very difficult to handle, especially a new driver. I've been driving for 2 years now and still know that I haven't mastered my G37.

And BeyBladestation, you make good sense. Honestly, a car is not one of my priorities, but I'm a teenager and still living under the roof of my parents/college. After college, even though I say I want the GT-R and will probably get it, that will only be if things work out with what I have planned (which obviously they don't always) and the car will come after I am living comfortably. Whatever my parents allow me to delve into in college (possibly a Camaro ZL1 or a BMW335i will be with me until I can afford a car like the GT-R and still live comfortably and not have to worry).

Oh, and I LOVE the F458 Italia as well. I've seen a couple, amazing machines!
(Jun. 23, 2011  9:00 AM)ikmv Wrote: Picked it up May 19th!
Drove it to Canada for Anime North!
Coming home....4 deer on the road, they scattered but one decides to run back into the car!
o0o Lookie what i found in the door....yum yum...
Not even 1 month an a huge dent on the quarter panel Unhappy
$2800.00 in Damage and 2 weeks later I got her back.

a bit late i know but HAHAHAHAHAHA!!!! THAT TOTALLY SUCKs!!!!!!! I'm so sorry! did you have insurance on the car?

two weeks after i got my challenger i hit jack rabbit! the sun of a biscuit litterly broke my front guard off the bolts and i still had to pry it out from under neath my car after 45min of driving with it dragging if i didn't do what i do i don't know what we would do with it there. insted i pulled it out and skinned it, with the thaught in my head THIS THING OWES ME!!!!.....but the hide didnt make it home.

i still need to get my car fixed but I'm totally sorry about yours. i would have been so @#$^$^%@#$@$@ @#$#^$.

hm, actually, think about it the whole kids owning cool cars these days is nothing new! my dad had a Corvette when he was in high school and again its nothing new. but lately when you think about it the only reason why kids die in these cars is because they don't take the responsibility to say NO! i cant tell you how meany times i refused a race on the street. I'm not a racer and i know better. but you still see these young people in cruddy cars and they die nothings new. but when you see a young person in a challenger or mustang, ect, die in it OMG its the car!!!!

my parents are proud of me getting a challenger but i can tell you this right now. they worries to death every night i come home late or every day i leave in that car, anything can happen.
i had people flat out tell me i am unworthy of owning the cars i have because i don't know how to use them. but in reality because i know when to say NO, and keep from doing anything reckless and just drive like your suppose to that is what makes me worthy of driving the car i have. yes go have some fun with the car you have just be responsible!
its great you all dream to get these awesome cars! hell i got some of my dream cars, but don't let them get to your head. crazy driving isn't cool its foolish a car is a loaded gun and you can kill your self or worse some one else. ALWAYS THINK, before you decide to throw your life away!

ok i think im done rambling!
Nismo 400R. nuff said.