Beyblade: The Other Side of the Dish. Chapter 1

CHAPTERS:
1: On a Knifes Edge
2: A Major Offense

Chapter 1: On a Knifes Edge.

The city of deep dish was built in a grand valley.

It's hard to say how the valley came to exist.

Some say that it was carved over time from wind and rain.

Others say it was once a great basin, for a lake that stretched for as far as the eye can see.

Yet most will tell you that it was carved, by the wheels of beys.

The breeze rustled the leaves that hung precariously from the thin autumn branches, as the pale sun glinted through heavy clouds on the specks of dew that sat lazily on the grass.

Birds chirped in the bushes and branches, breaking in the cold autumn morning, an unusual day for the city of deep dish.

The people left their houses, and migrated to the business district to work, the shops opened their doors, the bakeries fired their ovens, filling the streets with the sweet and savory scents of baked goods.

Yet as the city came to life, others were still dead to the world.

A large patch of drool had engulfed the thick pillow that Ryan snoozed on, loud snores and grumbles coming from the boys mouth as he tumbled around the WBBA duvet set, that had seen better days.
"Goooo Shoooot" he mumbled, still in a near unconscious state.
This wasn't an uncommon occurrence for him.
Especially when it was the last sleep before an upcoming battle.

Slowly but surely, he began to come round, slowly moving himself in to an upright position. He was a fairly average looking boy. Slender, with wavy brown hair, that flicked slightly to one side.

After rubbing the sleep from his sea green eyes, he grabbed the clock next to his bed, still weary.

A noise erupted that could be heard outside in the streets, causing the smaller and more skittish birds to scatter in to the sky.

"ARRRRRRRRRRRRRGGGGGGGGGGHHHHHHHHHHHH! carp carp carp, I'M REALLY, REALLY LATE!"

Throwing the thread bare duvet off of himself, he grabbed the nearest pair of jeans and shoes, and flung them on quickly, stumbling slightly on the left leg as his face contacted the floor with a dull thud.

Clambering up again, he dived in to a t-shirt before grabbing the beycase that sat next to the old alarm clock, and the beylauncher and grip from the chest at the foot of the bed.

In a frenzy, he rushed through the chest, pulling parts from their separate compartments and draws,

"Ok, stamina combination.. Um.. Yeah, this should go well. Oh, and that, and maybe... Perfect!"

Slamming the chest shut, he slid the combination in to the beycase, and pelted for the stairs.

The warms scent of toast wafted through the kitchen, as eggs and bacon began to crackle and spit from the pan that sat on the stove.

Ryans mother hummed as the rumble of feet came down the stairs "Ryan, how crispy do you want your bacon?" she asked as the blur that was her son stampeded through the kitchen.

Running to the stove, he shoveled the barely edible breakfast in to his mouth straight from the pan, while shouting through the mess of egg and meat "NOMPH TM TO ST, BRTLE AT TR PRK, GTA GO!"

For those of you that can't speak Breakryan, this roughly translated as "No time to sit, battle at the park, got to go"

As the last mouth full went down, Ryan flung open the fridge, grabbed a bottle of water, and as quickly as he had appeared, he was gone.

Ryan's mother scowled and sighed.

"Worse than his father".

The cold air stung Ryans skin as he sprinted down the road, leaping the gate that lead to the nearby park.

The clang of metal could already be heard, the grinding of plastic against the curve of the stadium, the sparks shining out from the dishes edge.

Standing around the old wooden stadium were two girls, and two boys.

The tallest of the boys was fair haired, with blue eyes, and was fairly well built for someone as young as seventeen.
A black beanie hat hung awkwardly from the top of his head, and the t-shirt and sleeveless jacket he wore looked as if they'd been slightly burned around the edges.

The other boy was of a much more compact build, with shaggy red hair that seemed to be controlled by nothing but it's own density.

A fixed grimace spread across his face as he grit his teeth "Come on Apollo, hold in there!"

The taller blond boy closed his eyes and smiled softly.

The grimace of his opponent changed to horror, as his bey was flung from the stadium.

Running over to hit, he picked it up softly, staring intently at the damage around the metal wheel "Damn it Blake, you freakin wrecked it again!"

The blonde boy opened his eyes, as the smile quickly faded "carp Dean, I'm sorry... Drop by my Uncles shop later, and I'll try and swing you a new metal wheel."

Ryan ran over, and took a glance to gauge the severity of the damaged.

"You're late" one of the girls shouted.

"Shove it Florence" Ryan shouted back.

Along the center of the wheel was a large crack that had spread almost half way through wheel, causing the face to rattle and the cleat wheel to sit at an awkward angle.

"Blake, you've gotta stop trashing beys champ. I know your Dad runs a bey store and all, but still, you must be puttin the guy out of business with the amount of parts that you're replacing."

Blake looked down at his shoes, and put his hands in the pockets of the old jacket "Yeah well, I'm battling Shaun tomorrow. Gotta keep improving, or there's no way I'll get my first beybadge."

One of the girls smirked slightly. She was a pale girl, who was dressed strangely for the brisk weather. The thick black leggings, and closed in red patent shoes were fine, but it was far too cold for the floral blouse.
She had a slightly classic look to her though, and the cold didn't seem to be bothering her.

"Like you'll get the attack badge Blake, how many times have you actually tried now? I can't even remember the last person who beat Shaun."

Grimacing, Blake mouthed along childishly to what she was saying, sending a small ripple of laughter across the group.

"Shove it Florence. I don't see any badges on your beycase either. Besides, the last time I challenged the jerk was ages ago. I've gotten a lot better since then."

Florence punched him hard on the arm "Oh yeah, you're soooo good. You still haven't beaten Ryan once yet."

Blake looked over at Ryan, that same soft smile flickering back "What do you say man? Gimme another shot today?"

Pulling the grip from his belt, Ryan's beycase swung open, and his blade rolled out "Ok. But if I beat you again, then there's a catch".

The smile faded from Blake's lips. "Oh yeah?"

"Yeah" he replied solemnly. "If I beat you. Then tomorrow we both taken on Shaun. Tag team style."

The smile still hadn't returned to his lips yet "And if I win?"

Ryan closed his eyes and sighed "Then, and only then am I letting you go up against him on your own. After what happened last time... I'm not letting you go at it again on your own."

The wind that had sent shudders through the branches had stopped dead.
The birds were silenced, the sounds of the city seemed to be dulled to nothing, the tension so thick it could be cut with a knife.

The edges of Blake's lips began to curl upwards.

"Let's do this. 3"
"2"
"1"
"GO SHOOT!"
Wow, that was pretty sweet! i love the whole "bey-badge" concept Smile anyway, im lookin forward to the next chapter!