BJD?

Yeah, I recently saw a surge in the number in people that have them.

If you dont know what that is then I will tell you. Its Ball-Joint Doll, those expensive and genraly pretty things. I actually just ordered one for my christmas present!

They are an expensive hobby in everyway from the doll to cloths and Faceups @_@ but so pretty. My friend who also has one and uses it for modeling stuff said that they were going to start using it for Beyblade shoots.

Cool idea since they are popular and who knows, maybe the people out there that dont read around will realized that Beyblade is making or already making its come back.
I really want one, but the price of them is extortionate.
I used to have one. I don't anymore.

The dolls are nice, but the community is not worth it.
BJDs are dumb as hell, who the hell pays $700 for a god damn doll

(annieduck had one at one point but this does not make me think they are less stupid)

seriously what an awful hobby
Lol. To some, I actually want to be a collector. Recently, I guess, there are more people into it and all I have met are nice so maybe people are just getting better. I dont think its stupid but to each thier own, I dont plan on getting another one for a long time and when I myslef can afford it with no help, they are usually to big and I got a small 200-300 one and paid for half with my money.

Ive had friends say the same thing about Beyblade so I guess it depends on who you are XD I enjoy them but then again I enjoy other odd things like paintball!

The price is high, I admit to that with the clothes raniging from 40-100 dollar per outfit with no shoes and stuff, its horrible! Thus why I asked for one for x-mas. People who do this usualy collect them over years and spend over 1000 on thiers, I cant imagine doing that...ever. I want this smaller and cheaper one and its not like she needs as much clothes as me @_@
(Nov. 18, 2008  11:46 PM)Jin-May Wrote: Lol. To some, I actually want to be a collector. Recently, I guess, there are more people into it and all I have met are nice so maybe people are just getting better. I dont think its stupid but to each thier own, I dont plan on getting another one for a long time and when I myslef can afford it with no help, they are usually to big and I got a small 200-300 one and paid for half with my money.

Ive had friends say the same thing about Beyblade so I guess it depends on who you are XD I enjoy them but then again I enjoy other odd things like paintball!

The price is high, I admit to that with the clothes raniging from 40-100 dollar per outfit with no shoes and stuff, its horrible! Thus why I asked for one for x-mas. People who do this usualy collect them over years and spend over 1000 on thiers, I cant imagine doing that...ever. I want this smaller and cheaper one and its not like she needs as much clothes as me @_@

yes but the thing is one doll is worth the same as like 300 beyblades and beyblades actually do stuff

BJD are nothing but glorified barbie dolls
True, you could get more Beyblade's for the price of one doll, but I would prefer the doll. Again, that's just me! Joyful_3

And people actually use them for art purposes, but I dont think I will. If people plan on the artsy side of it, its like setting yourself up to pay for more stuff that they dont need.

You can delete the topic if you want, its pretty useless, I was just wonder what people thought of them.
(Nov. 18, 2008  11:46 PM)Jin-May Wrote: Lol. To some, I actually want to be a collector. Recently, I guess, there are more people into it and all I have met are nice so maybe people are just getting better. I dont think its stupid but to each thier own, I dont plan on getting another one for a long time and when I myslef can afford it with no help, they are usually to big and I got a small 200-300 one and paid for half with my money.

I spent approx. 1200$ on mine. One outfit, one faceup, two wigs. THere are a lot more costs to factor in for these- like shipping. It's usually at LEAST 70$
(Nov. 18, 2008  11:59 PM)Jin-May Wrote: True, you could get more Beyblade's for the price of one doll, but I would prefer the doll. Again, that's just me! Joyful_3

you are on the wrong forum
Yeah, my doll came to 459.22 with a dress,socks, wig, doll and face up and shipping. But mine is a DOC but they are expensive as well, Dollmore is better for clothes and stuff.

I dont have mine yet and wont for a bit but I like it all the same.

And not really, I love Beyblade and always will but for this one Holiday I chose the doll because now I have the chance to get it otherwise my money goes to Beyblade XD I Love getting more stuff for my Beyblade hobby! It is more entertaining, by far.
Quote:BJD are nothing but glorified barbie dolls

Yugioh cards are nothing but glorified pieces of paper...

People also think it's stupid that people spend like £2 on a packet of fifteen magic or 11 Pokémon or 9 Yugioh cards, which in all honesty it is. But then again... I get most of my cards by trading or winning at tournaments, and I meet people by playing... and I actually play a GAME with them.

Still... lots of things aren't worth the money nowadays, meh. If things being expensive makes them good, so be it! =P

I don't get how there's a community for dolls though... o.O Isn't it a pretty boring thing to talk about?

EDIT:
Quote:I spent approx. 1200$ on mine.

OUCH. I'm sorry but that's too much money. Albeit it would be old/carp but you could buy a CAR for that.
(Nov. 19, 2008  12:02 AM)Pikachao Wrote:

People also think it's stupid that people spend like £2 on a packet of fifteen magic or 11 Pokémon or 9 Yugioh cards, which in all honesty it is. But then again... I get most of my cards by trading or winning at tournaments, and I meet people by playing... and I actually play a GAME with them.

Still... lots of things aren't worth the money nowadays, meh. If things being expensive makes them good, so be it! =P

I don't get how there's a community for dolls though... o.O Isn't it a pretty boring thing to talk about?

Examples of such:
Crush card virus: £120
Gold Sarcophagus: £1200 (Who the carp would pay that?)

o.o" you would think, but if you find the right forums then its not.

this is exactly my point

Not that card games aren't overpriced -- they are -- but they have a function. They serve some sort of productive purpose, there is gametesting that goes into them to make sure there is balance. These dolls have no function. They just sit there and do nothing but remind you of how you spent over a thousand dollars on a doll.
Actually, scrap my last post:
English Gold sarcophagus:
http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Yugioh-SJCS-EN005-....m63.l1177

WTF?

This card is good, but the function in a deck is not worth the price.
(Nov. 19, 2008  12:05 AM)Bey Brad Wrote: this is exactly my point

Not that card games aren't overpriced -- they are -- but they have a function. They serve some sort of productive purpose, there is gametesting that goes into them to make sure there is balance. These dolls have no function. They just sit there and do nothing but remind you of how you spent over a thousand dollars on a doll.

Yeah, what do you DO with them again?...

Quote:Gold Sarcophagus: £1200 (Who the carp would pay that?)

Nobody to be honest. I've seen cards apparently worth £100 be traded at yugioh tournaments for £0.50 cards. I think something is lost in the translation when these card sites try to sell this carp.

EDIT: On that card "History: 12 Offers" WOAH. What SET is it from?! O.O
(Nov. 19, 2008  12:02 AM)Jin-May Wrote: Yeah, my doll came to 459.22 with a dress,socks, wig, doll and face up and shipping. But mine is a DOC but they are expensive as well, Dollmore is better for clothes and stuff.

I dont have mine yet and wont for a bit but I like it all the same.

And not really, I love Beyblade and always will but for this one Holiday I chose the doll because now I have the chance to get it otherwise my money goes to Beyblade XD I Love getting more stuff for my Beyblade hobby! It is more entertaining, by far.

Also be carefull and remember that if you decide to sell, you will not get what you want unless it is a limited of some sort. Mine had a faceup done by an artist who now charges OVER 150$ a head, and the body was in like new condition. It took months to sell, and after all that I had to take 500$ for him AND pay the shipping.

A lot of people get into very, very serious debt because of this hobby. Yes, you may still be living at home, but this is still a factor. It's not something that you can do on a whim, especially when you're purchasing a luxury good at that price point.
Not to be rude but there are other things to do with it. Again people use them for modeling, anatomy practice (I would prefer to use a small manikin though) for cosplaying, for Conventions and so on, but I cant think of it all since I havent even looked into what other things there are.

A large amount of people want or have them. So again, Its more of a personal choice of opinion *shurgs* I would perfer a doll over yugioh, I used to play and started to hate all the random cards XD but thats cause I didnt like having so many.

And I know people do into debt but Im careful with that, I dont have my own credit cards and I dont have any more money for it. I would rather not spend any more of the doll then I already have lmao it doesnt need but one pain of clothes and what not.
(Nov. 19, 2008  12:08 AM)Pikachao Wrote:
(Nov. 19, 2008  12:05 AM)Bey Brad Wrote: this is exactly my point

Yeah, what do you DO with them again?...

Nobody to be honest. I've seen cards apparently worth £100 be traded at yugioh tournaments for £0.50 cards. I think something is lost in the translation when these card sites try to sell this carp.

It's a shonen jump championship card, you only get it if you win nationals and stuff.
In Japan and Korea it's common as carp though, so you could pick it up for £10. But you can't use them outside of their countries.
Well anyways, Im acutally done posting about it o_o" I didnt expect a debate but I should have XD
(Nov. 19, 2008  12:10 AM)Jin-May Wrote: Not to be rude but there are other things to do with it. Again people use them for modeling, anatomy practice (I would prefer to use a small manikin though) for cosplaying, for Conventions and so on, but I cant think of it all since I havent even looked into what other things there are.

A large amount of people want or have them. So again, Its more of a personal choice of opinion *shurgs* I would perfer a doll over yugioh, I used to play and started to hate all the random cards XD but thats cause I didnt like having so many.

And I know people do into debt but Im careful with that, I dont have my own credit cards and I dont have any more money for it. I would rather not spend any more of the doll then I already have lmao it doesnt need but one pain of clothes and what not.

I used mine as an anatomical reference, a photography subject, and he was my only companion beyond my dog for over 2 years when I first moved to where I currently am.

[Image: P1030243.jpg]

This was Fred.

I'm just trying to keep you from getting into something you're not ready for. I understand all the perceived status behind having one of these in some circles, and I just want you to understand the reality of having one and how unpleasant and petty most of the community is.
(Nov. 19, 2008  12:11 AM)May The Pirate Wrote:
(Nov. 19, 2008  12:08 AM)Pikachao Wrote: Yeah, what do you DO with them again?...

It's a shonen jump championship card, you only get it if you win nationals and stuff.
In Japan and Korea it's common as carp though, so you could pick it up for £10. But you can't use them outside of their countries.

I remember that there's a grand party trainer card that sold for hundreds and now thousands in Pokémon. I'm not sure what happened about that.

oh, here it is but it's not worth so much anymore. http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/POKEMON-CARD-TRAIN...240%3A1318

There's also the legendary "pre-release raichu" a set of 9 Pokémon cards that got stamped with the pre-release golden stamp in the factory when they weren't meant to have done so. I'm not sure who currently owns them but the only one ever sold went for thousands I heard.

EDIT:
Quote:This was Fred.

That's my name and I look nothing like that. =P

It doesn't look so amazing considering the cost. What makes them so expensive again?
Yeah, I know and thank your for doing so~! Thats really nice and I fully understand. I have no intention of spending so much on one when that cost so much In the first place. And I dont talk to many of the people, just ones I met at past cons and people that are helping me with info and so on about my doll.
(Nov. 19, 2008  12:18 AM)Pikachao Wrote:
(Nov. 19, 2008  12:08 AM)Pikachao Wrote: Yeah, what do you DO with them again?...

I remember that there's a grand party trainer card that sold for hundreds and now thousands in Pokémon. I'm not sure what happened about that.

oh, here it is but it's not worth so much anymore. http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/POKEMON-CARD-TRAIN...240%3A1318

There's also the legendary "pre-release raichu" a set of 9 Pokémon cards that got stamped with the pre-release golden stamp in the factory when they weren't meant to have done so. I'm not sure who currently owns them but the only one ever sold went for thousands I heard.

EDIT:

It doesn't look so amazing considering the cost. What makes them so expensive again?

Lol depends on what company, some or horrid looking and others are cute. I find the D.O.D the only place I like, sadly. Mine is a DOC Leya by DOD So I do like here and even DOD has some homely looking molds there.
Attached Files
Thumbnail(s)

(Nov. 19, 2008  12:17 AM)Jin-May Wrote: Well anyways, Im acutally done posting about it o_o" I didnt expect a debate but I should have XD

If you don't want to have an actual discussion about it, don't post a thread about it. Thanks.
(Nov. 19, 2008  12:18 AM)Pikachao Wrote:

EDIT:

Yeah, that doll is pretty good looking.

Everything about them is done by hand. Painted by hand, the blanks for mouldmaking are done by hand, the casting is done by hand, painting, sanding... Some skintones can take as many as 20 casts before you get a part with enough colour and texture consistency to be usable, and this is not taking into account bubbles in the resin and stuff. Every single one is produced like this.

Jin-May, there's one really good forum that I'd like to refer you to- there's a real minimum of retards and stupid drama. I'm just trying to remember what it's called Dx

e: found it! http://www.abjds.com/forum/index.php

(honestly, I wouldn't mind having another one at some point, but only when I can really, completely afford it. They're fun to mess around with, and I love doing the photography.)