BEYBLADE IS BECOMING A SPORT

(Jan. 22, 2024  4:41 PM)Nickname Wrote: I am not even joking look at this https://www.takaratomy.co.jp/english/pro...517_en.pdf

We've known this since May. Most likely it's not becoming a "sport", and it's just them focusing more on the competitive hobby sport side of beyblade and trying to broaden the audience(i.e. adults). They also talk about a world championship, which isn't a surprise because every gen has done this.
(Jan. 22, 2024  6:36 PM)Nickname Wrote: Stop lowering hopes

They're being realistic. It's a press release, it's intended purpose is to give information that news outlets can use in their reporting, so they're hyping up the product and advertising it. 

Sports don't typically have product releases delayed by an entire year or more for countries outside of their origin; nor do sports have region-locked equipment or require importing their equipment from the country of origin in order to participate.
(Jan. 22, 2024  5:46 PM)Tu RalfBalf Wrote:
(Jan. 22, 2024  4:41 PM)Nickname Wrote: I am not even joking look at this https://www.takaratomy.co.jp/english/pro...517_en.pdf

We've known this since May. Most likely it's not becoming a "sport", and it's just them focusing more on the competitive hobby sport side of beyblade and trying to broaden the audience(i.e. adults). They also talk about a world championship, which isn't a surprise because every gen has done this.

WORLD CHAMPIONSHIP FOR ADULTES TOO ?!
Beyblade isn’t a sport. It’s a Hobby. How many times must we have this conversation.

Anything that involves competition between two or more people or groups of people [is a sport],” says Mark Royce, first-year kinesiology student and member of Western University’s cross-country team. “The competition must require physical exertion and planned, skilled or timed movement requiring thought.”

You cannot plan or time Beyblade. In fact, it’s literally just about making combos and sometimes, you can’t even be sure you’ll win. You have a good shot, but you cannot do anything directly in your power other than changing your Beyblade. It all depends on the toy. Unless your a sweat or something, Beyblade shouldn’t be physically taxing. Also sports have actual organizations, this is just a fan made organization. Nothing official. Hasbro, I guess could count as an organization along with those who host tournaments in Japan but again that doesn’t make it a sport as “Skilled or Timed Movement Requiring Thoughts is needed.” It’s just a hobby and that’s fine. I don’t know why people feel like it needs to be a sport.

Source: https://westerngazette.ca/sports/what-se...e_vignette
(Jan. 23, 2024  3:36 PM)UnseenBurst Wrote: Beyblade isn’t a sport. It’s a Hobby. How many times must we have this conversation.

Anything that involves competition between two or more people or groups of people [is a sport],” says Mark Royce, first-year kinesiology student and member of Western University’s cross-country team. “The competition must require physical exertion and planned, skilled or timed movement requiring thought.”

You cannot plan or time Beyblade. In fact, it’s literally just about making combos and sometimes, you can’t even be sure you’ll win. You have a good shot, but you cannot do anything directly in your power other than changing your Beyblade. It all depends on the toy. Unless your a sweat or something, Beyblade shouldn’t be physically taxing. Also sports have actual organizations, this is just a fan made organization. Nothing official. Hasbro, I guess could count as an organization along with those who host tournaments in Japan but again that doesn’t make it a sport as “Skilled or Timed Movement Requiring Thoughts is needed.” It’s just a hobby and that’s fine. I don’t know why people feel like it needs to be a sport.

Source: https://westerngazette.ca/sports/what-se...e_vignette

There also isn't much athleticism in beyblade besides launching, which even then it heavily depends on the launcher, and(especially for X) too much strength in a launch pretty much leads to am instant loss. If beyblade was more like chess in a way then *maybe*, but at the end of the day it was made to be a toy and wil never be more than a hobby sport.
Well for me I think it’s good to be active with Beyblade even if it doesn’t get a proper sports treatment. I for one am for myself’s side activity from video games would have it as a sport. Not officially but to stay in my circle Beyblade sport.
(Jan. 24, 2024  9:47 PM)kidkat05 Wrote: Well for me I think it’s good to be active with Beyblade even if it doesn’t get a proper sports treatment. I for one am for myself’s side activity from video games would have it as a sport. Not officially but to stay in my circle Beyblade sport.

Beyblade isn’t active… That’s why it isn’t a sport. You’re not really making much sense with this if I’m going to be completely honest
Well I am still playing it and shopping for them so I play it. I consider Beyblade as my sport to play. But it’s just between me and my loved ones.
It's all semantic of course, but I think there's a strong argument for Beyblade already being a sport as is. The only things an activity needs to be a sport are skill, competition, and a set of defined rules (organized play). You could argue physical exertion is needed as well, but things like motorsports, card/cup-stacking, speedcubing, dressage, darts, competitive fishing, chess, and MANY more are all widely considered sports, and none of those call for particularly high levels of physical exertion or athleticism. Beyblade does require physical exertion, but being physically demanding isn't necessary to be considered a sport. The three criteria I mentioned are much more important.

Beyblade isn't just about the combos, there is a great degree of skill and planning involved, otherwise we wouldn't have top players or any sort of tournament consistency among players. There is a great degree that players have little or no control over the match as well, but plenty of other sports have elements like that as well (see: fishing again). We obviously have competition, that's the whole purpose of the game. And we do have a set of pre-defined rules. No, there's not one organization that presides over all Beyblade matches and defines one single ruleset, but there doesn't need to be that. No sport has one defined organization or one defined ruleset. All it needs is a defined ruleset before the game starts, which organizations like the WBO provide. And although it is fan-run, the WBO is just as "official" as any sporting organization in my opinion. Take a sport like tennis, for example. Nobody "owns" tennis, so every organization that claims to be official is just doing that - claiming to be official. If you set up an "unofficial" tennis club at your school or something, write your own rules, and compete against each other, it's still just as much of a sport as matches held by the ITF are. Also, in response to those saying it's a hobby and not a sport, I don't see a reason why it can't be both.

So, in my opinion, Beyblade has always been a sport, ever since people like us and groups like ours started making rulesets and holding tournaments for it. But really, "sport" is just a word. Although the game fits the criteria for a sport, it's all down to whatever you consider it to be. If enough people call it a sport, then it is. Beyblade is whatever you say it is.
(Jan. 24, 2024  11:12 PM)UnseenBurst Wrote:
(Jan. 24, 2024  9:47 PM)kidkat05 Wrote: Well for me I think it’s good to be active with Beyblade even if it doesn’t get a proper sports treatment. I for one am for myself’s side activity from video games would have it as a sport. Not officially but to stay in my circle Beyblade sport.

Beyblade isn’t active… That’s why it isn’t a sport. You’re not really making much sense with this if I’m going to be completely honest

Lets just say a sport is a sport because some sort of big name organization recognizes it as one, or some dude with a bunch of money decides to consider it one(thus why the stupidest spor,t slap fighting, is a thing).
Personally, I don't think Beyblade could ever be a sport without being decentralized, considering that you are completely locked to the products of a single company in order to actually play it. Imagine if the only way you could play basketball was buying balls and hoops from Spalding, and you could only play on Spalding sponsored courts. I think one of the most important aspects of a sport would be decentralization. Kids that nail a bucket to a board above their garage and use whatever ball they have lying around are still playing basketball. Skateboarders have many different options to choose from when it comes to what company they get their boards from. You can play tennis on any court in any park. Beyblade isn't like that - in fact, as previously stated, there's a plethora of equipment that is region locked to Japan, which is, to me, antithetical to the concept of a "sport". That all being said, I feel like battling tops in general could be a sport, but even then Beyblade would very much be it's own thing and would still very much be considered a toy - which is totally fine by me.
woah this is a heck of a thread and based of last night my watch says i was doing cardio all night. so its def a physical activity if you let it be, but like yumi says without being decoupled from the branded side of it. eg without open source efforts if you want a top based sport, try looking into beigoma, that's a different world tho. but but there is an active side that can be acknowledged, and a sportsman ship aspect to it that is real, witch it carries over strongly from beigoma. And i think if thats the feeling that beyblade was going for then by heck it did it well... approach this game with sporting attitude and i think a sport is what you will find, and what is sporting at the end of the day but play? take from that what you will or wont. thats my 2 cents
I was thinking about this sporadically over the past day, and I think that if there was to be a battling top sport, it would probably look something like this:

1. Outside of any official regulating body, battling tops would be readily available from various manufacturers with different attributes and methods of operating. The same would go for stadiums, or any type of playing field. There would also probably be a healthy scene of DIYers making their own tops and launching systems via various methods. While general binding rules would probably float around via an official body, most games of battling tops would probably just be done using house rules and ramshackle stadiums, like woks and the sort. In a dream world, some parks might have a section with stadiums built in them, just like in the Beyblade anime. While not necessary, modularity would still be implemented and encouraged, carrying over Beyblade's aspects of customization. Good quality top manufacturers would try to include the ability to swap out tips, bearings, weights, etc. both to encourage diverse play and counter wear and tear.
2. For large scale, widely recognized organized play, various leagues and bodies would be involved, from the local level up to the national level. These bodies would all have their own rulesets and regulations, however they would all most likely be largely influenced by whatever the national body is. As stated before, available products and street rules would definitely be influenced by the national body (ex. tournament spec stadiums being available, companies aiming to release tops that are legal, etc).
3. For regulated play, rulesets would probably be governed by aspects such as weight and RPM limitations, checks to ensure the construction of a top is safe and doesn't provide unfair advantage, and perhaps a maximum height and circumference rule. I could also see tournaments being broken up into different classes, such as weight, circumference, material (i.e. plastic, wood, metal, etc.), and physical vs. mechanical launching (think Beyblade launcher vs. the strings on beigoma).
4. I would imagine that top level play would mostly revolve around players who construct their own tops and even their own launching mechanisms. Obviously, since DIY tops can go so many different ways, any regulations (such as the ones listed above) would probably be even stricter; but the variety of tops and playstyles would definitely be much more diverse. I wouldn't be sure if separating the DIYers from people playing with mass manufactured tops would be necessary, but I would imagine these players would want their own separate league regardless.
5. Even if all of this plays out perfectly, battling tops would be an incredibly niche sport. The battling top section at Big 5 would be no bigger than an endcap and the national champion will not be a household name like Michael Jordan, Tony Hawk or Serena Williams. Being a professional battling top player would most likely not be a financially viable thing for anyone other than the creme de la creme, and even they might be better off with a regular job. But the community would be tight knit and strong, and everyone would rest easy knowing that they're still cooler than the badminton crowd.