Are we alone in the universe?

Is there intelligent life outside of the Earth? Are humans the smartest beings in the universe?

What do you guys think?
I believe there's a another "Earth" out there somewhere. My answer is Maybe.
it is incredibly arrogant to think we are the only life in the entire universe
No, I seriously doubt were alone or the smartest.

doing some wiking, its estimated 93 billion light years wide! that is just too huge for earth to be only planet with conditions for life. pretty awsome thought
I agree with you, blue and brad,
Just looking at our own solar system, one of trillions in the universe, we have the Earth and right next door is Mars. Mars is so incredibly earth like. It is a general consensus among scientist that it once could have been like earth in the sense that it was able to sustain life as we know it.

Another question i want to put up for discussion is, If we are not alone, why haven't we made contact with another civilization. Or better yet why haven't they made contact with us?
(Dec. 16, 2008  6:33 PM)Maz Wrote: Another question i want to put up for discussion is, If we are not alone, why haven't we made contact with another civilization. Or better yet why haven't they made contact with us?

because communicating over that sort of distance isn't exactly easy
Its very simple actualy. Just takes a long time.
I don't think that the actual act of communication is the problem. I think the big problem is first finding who to communicate with.
There is obviously other life elsewhere, we are just not smart enough and technologically powerful enough to go find these "beings"/planets.

Light would be the first answer to communication as it can travel vast distances in a short space of time, take our sun for example. We just don't have the equipment to translate such messages at this point.
(Dec. 16, 2008  6:37 PM)BeyUK-Espio Wrote: There is obviously other life elsewhere, we are just not smart enough and technologically powerful enough to go find these "beings"/planets.

Light would be the first answer to communication as it can travel vast distances in a short space of time, take our sun for example. We just don't have the equipment to translate such messages at this point.

I agree with you 100% Were trying though. Were trying all day every day. So thats where I think why don't they contact us?
And to be honest looking at the big picture its depressing how slow light travels. And light would not be the first answer to communication. Radio waves travel at the speed of light. We have been broadcasting radio waves for many years.
(Dec. 16, 2008  6:04 PM)Bey Brad Wrote: it is incredibly arrogant to think we are the only life in the entire universe

Be careful with comments like these. Anyone with a difference in opinion may be apprehensive in voicing their input after reading this. That would defeat the purpose of having a discussion thread on whether or not intelligent life exists elsewhere. No one wants an agree-fest.
there has got to be life out there, if we eventually found out there was no life on any other planet it would make people feel very alone.

they have found a planet that looks like earth and it could sustain life so they have sent messages to it (it will take years to get there though)
fingers crossed. Grin
Yes...Intelligent life exists somewhere out side the natural world.
(Dec. 16, 2008  6:40 PM)Maz Wrote:
(Dec. 16, 2008  6:37 PM)BeyUK-Espio Wrote: There is obviously other life elsewhere, we are just not smart enough and technologically powerful enough to go find these "beings"/planets.

I agree with you 100% Were trying though. Were trying all day every day. So thats where I think why don't they contact us?
And to be honest looking at the big picture its depressing how slow light travels. And light would not be the first answer to communication. Radio waves travel at the speed of light. We have been broadcasting radio waves for many years.

yeah I too think while an awsome speed, light still does travel too slow in the grand scheme of the universe, like I said, est. 93 light years wide. we would have been broadcasting for what 60 years, probably less?

a fricken drop in the bucket. Maz i think it more that our sgnals have not gone far enough yet or in the wrong direction. Also, whose to say they haven't contacted us/been here LOL.
(Dec. 16, 2008  7:24 PM)TheUnkownGod Wrote: Yes...Intelligent life exists somewhere out side the natural world.

Is this sarcasm...?
(Dec. 16, 2008  7:39 PM)BeyUK-Espio Wrote:
(Dec. 16, 2008  7:24 PM)TheUnkownGod Wrote: Yes...Intelligent life exists somewhere out side the natural world.

Is this sarcasm...?

No, it's not.
I wholeheartedly believe there is life outside our own galaxy.

While I'm not sure what that life may be or if I think we should ever even attempt to contact them (if they were intelligible beings that could even be contacted in the first place), I still believe there is life out there.

As Blue said, the universe is far too vast for their only to be life on one of the thousands of planets within it.
You can't estimate the size of the universe and stuff unless you believe in the big bang theory if what I'm thinking is correct, don't some people believe that it goes on forever?

Either way, I was thinking earlier. Humans have been around a few thousand years, assuming that time has gone on forever and that global warming will destroy us within these few thousand years. This time is very short compared to "infinity". It could be that a lot of the life has already gone on, adapted, and become extinct. Or that we have adapted extremely fast and that they're still adapting and evolving.

People always pose questions about how life could survive in different conditions, but surely if we adapted to live in this climate, other beings could adapt to live in their own climates? Why should they randomly adapt to the earth's requirements?

Ugh, this was a long post again but yeah, I believe there's other life. It just doesn't make sense that there isn't.
(Dec. 16, 2008  11:26 PM)Pikachao Wrote: People always pose questions about how life could survive in different conditions, but surely if we adapted to live in this climate, other beings could adapt to live in their own climates? Why should they randomly adapt to the earth's requirements?

Ugh, this was a long post again but yeah, I believe there's other life. It just doesn't make sense that there isn't.

The Problem is that life can only be held in very specific climates to survive.
I do think there could be life outside of Earth, but I don't think we'd ever be able to communicate with them. Nothing, besides most sci-fi movies, suggests that another world with life would have to be as technologically advanced as us.

For all we know, we could be the most intelligent race in the galaxy. I personally don't think we'll ever find out for sure.

Just like with Time Travel-A Time machine will likely never be invented, since one would've traveled back to us already. Simple as that.
Before there was any life on earth, there where already millions of developed planets in the universe. I doubt that humanity is the most technologicly advanced race. Life had to much time to evolve before humanity.
I believe there is a LOT of life outside Earth, most of which has not evolved past bacteria yet. Some, probably 25% of the life outside earth is most likely animals, or creatures that cannot reason. Probably around only 4-5 % of those are human like (mentally, not physically). Can reason, and such. Only around 1% have civilized life, such as us.

Those numbers are probably a bunch of bull, but I believe it. How long has it taken for ONE creature on earth to get to the point of civilization. A very, very long time
(Dec. 17, 2008  4:23 AM)Evan Wrote: I believe there is a LOT of life outside Earth, most of which has not evolved past bacteria yet. Some, probably 25% of the life outside earth is most likely animals, or creatures that cannot reason. Probably around only 4-5 % of those are human like (mentally, not physically). Can reason, and such. Only around 1% have civilized life, such as us.

Those numbers are probably a bunch of bull, but I believe it. How long has it taken for ONE creature on earth to get to the point of civilization. A very, very long time

78.6578393% of statistics are made up on the spot

anyway, of course there is life out there somewhere. there are billions of universes just like ours ... the statistics are overwhelming.
(Dec. 17, 2008  4:25 AM)Artie Wrote:
(Dec. 17, 2008  4:23 AM)Evan Wrote: I believe there is a LOT of life outside Earth, most of which has not evolved past bacteria yet. Some, probably 25% of the life outside earth is most likely animals, or creatures that cannot reason. Probably around only 4-5 % of those are human like (mentally, not physically). Can reason, and such. Only around 1% have civilized life, such as us.

78.6578393% of statistics are made up on the spot

anyway, of course there is life out there somewhere. there are billions of universes just like ours ... the statistics are overwhelming.

Hahaha those weren't made on the spot, they were made by me and my best friend Silas about 4 months ago lol
(Dec. 17, 2008  4:25 AM)Artie Wrote: there are billions of universes just like ours
There is only one universe. The universe is all the matter and energy in existence regarded as a whole.
The species that habitat earth have all adapted to their environments - and seem natural to us.
That makes me wonder how other life might look. What if they have to adapt to other conditions we have never imagined living under? What if their planet isn't as 'friendly' as ours is? I find this far more interesting then just wondering if there is life elsewhere - because we have already discovered bacteria on Mars, in our tiny little pocket of the universe, making chances of other life as developed as us very likely.