Are Video Games a Form of Art

[Image: TAoVG_MassEffect2.jpg]
I just heard Penn Jillette talking about why video games are the 21st-century of art and it got me thinking are the video an art form. Why won’t they be art? The creators are expressing themselves through the game in the best way they can. It tells us story’s of happiness, sadness, revenge, betrayal, or just for a laugh “the cake is a lie”, one of my favorite lines. I just finished playing Firewatch and my god that it one good game. The art and sound design is just something you got to experience for yourself. That moment when the music hits when you are coming up to an important part of the game, I just get them “feels” you know. To experience this form of art it really the best way to experience art. I feel that you can’t get as an interactive experience reading a book, listening to a song, or watching a movie. Take the last of us for example, a big company making a brand to I.P., it’s scary but at the end, it was worth it. I was tearing up at multiple parts in the game. What other games have you played that have made you tear up or just feel horribly sad? It’s crazy to think that could happen with a video game but it does and it’s incredible. But not all video games are art (you can count them but really) some are just cash grabs. Releasing a game they didn’t put much effort it too just to make a quick buck. I’m not saying all but most mobile games are know to be those types of games. There are also games on consoles and another mobile device(DS,3DS, PSP, PSVita,etc.) to sell or promote little kids toys excluding Lego games. Also, there are x rated games but you already know why…. So are video games an art form of the 21 century or are they just something to pass the time. It’s up to you to continue this discussion. I’d like to hear what you guys think. And with that have a great day.
I would say they are not only an art but a combination of many arts, like the soundtrack and visuals. Even the title screen is a work of art, and of course character design.
As art has no true definition and a lot of stupid post modern artists like to pass off sucky as "ARTEEZTIK!", it could be. I can't stand a lot of post modern artists when they do that.

I personally think some games are art, like Dust An Elysian Tail or The Last Of Us. They have a great story, fantastic gameplay, beautiful soundtrack and visuals, and each go through a process many form of arts go through, like art pieces, poems, books etc.

Does art seriously just have to be float and chaotic?
(Feb. 19, 2016  1:33 AM)J.I.N.B.E.E! Wrote: As art has no true definition and a lot of stupid post modern artists like to pass off sucky as "ARTEEZTIK!", it could be. I can't stand a lot of post modern artists when they do that.

I personally think some games are art, like Dust An Elysian Tail or The Last Of Us. They have a great story, fantastic gameplay, beautiful soundtrack and visuals, and each go through a process many form of arts go through, like art pieces, poems, books etc.

Does art seriously just have to be float and chaotic?

Art can be anything, as long as it is the creators vision and his own ideas. That's what's the great thing about art to me, culture, ethnicity, past, knowledge, all factor into how art is made and perceived by others. That's why I feel like video games can be an art. Just as filmmaking or story telling, video games can send a message, teach a lesson, or make you view something differently than you did before.

That's not to say that the type of artists you described are right. Honestly to me, we are in a period of unseen creativity and intuitiveness but at the same time have been so limited by modern day social taboos. Idk, its hard to describe.
Oh art can be whatever anyone what's it to be definitely, these are just what I think.
Yes, I believe they could be art... it is certain that video games should capture you attention and should entertain you.
The exercise of art is just the same.