Anyone listen to Metal

lmao

August Burns Red is still good though, one of my favorites, really stood out compared to alot of other bands.

Just to make things more confusing Slipknot has been referred to as Nu-Metal.

There is also Southern Metal(Pantera, The Showdown)

Between The Buried and Me are very technical, and just yeah pretty much very impossible to classify into one genre. Metalcore would be somewhere in the mix though.

Born of Osiris is freakin awesome, I saw them with Unearth, Emmure, and Impending Doom.
A mates dragged me into coming to see a show with him soon, which I forked out money on tickets for. Its a Two band show with Megadeath and Slayer, which are legendary bands of Metal from what I've heard, should be awesome the Pits are going to be intense.
slipknot LOL theyre average havent heard there new stuff tho i just prefer screaming
nu metal to me is like deftones limp bizkit korn and linkin park

does anyone here listen to insane clown posse?
some of there songs like kinda nu metalish
lol. If you prefer screaming, that isn't metal. It's screamo.

EDIT: Sega I hate you so much right now.
(Aug. 13, 2009  4:50 AM)heero yuy Wrote: haha what would you guys call bands like blessthefall and a skylit drive?
emocore or post hardcore?xD

ill consider bless the fall metalcore, and post-harcore.

speaking of post harcore, anyone listen to escape the fate?
(Aug. 13, 2009  4:57 AM)Roan Wrote: This entire thread is the embodiment of why I stopped listening to this kind of music.

You stopped listening to a certain style of music because of the people within it? :\
(Aug. 13, 2009  3:51 PM)Synesthesia Wrote: You stopped listening to a certain style of music because of the people within it? :\

That and because of all the ridiculous genres and sub-genres and endless "let's throw everything we possibly can into a musical blender and see what happens" idea of 'music'.

Not to mention I grew out of it, it just got old.
That's kinda weird. Why not just listen to mainstream metal (motorhead,metallica and the like)?
(Aug. 13, 2009  4:44 PM)Giga Wrote: That's kinda weird. Why not just listen to mainstream metal (motorhead,metallica and the like)?

Because I don't like it? lol

I just got tired of this style of music and (mostly) stopped listening to it. I do still casually listen to a few bands (Between the Buried and Me, etc.) but I have to be in a certain mood for it, it's not something I can listen to all the time.
(Aug. 13, 2009  9:46 AM)Kai Hiwatari Wrote: lmao

August Burns Red is still good though, one of my favorites, really stood out compared to alot of other bands.

Just to make things more confusing Slipknot has been referred to as Nu-Metal.

There is also Southern Metal(Pantera, The Showdown)

Between The Buried and Me are very technical, and just yeah pretty much very impossible to classify into one genre. Metalcore would be somewhere in the mix though.

Born of Osiris is freakin awesome, I saw them with Unearth, Emmure, and Impending Doom.

EMMURE!!=amazing band
They were okay, I mainly went for Unearth.
I could not understand a word that the guy was saying, plus someone from like up front told me that the singer was forgetting the lyrics. The whole time I was having to dodge punches from this one dude. They have some crazy hardcore dance pits though.
haha does anyone listen to girugamesh pretty decent jpop
and maxim the hormone is considerd nu metal Chocked
(Aug. 13, 2009  5:24 PM)Kai Hiwatari Wrote: They were okay, I mainly went for Unearth.
I could not understand a word that the guy was saying, plus someone from like up front told me that the singer was forgetting the lyrics. The whole time I was having to dodge punches from this one dude. They have some crazy hardcore dance pits though.

everytime ive seen them they have been really good and i met the lead singer hes a cool dude. but yea man the pits for emmure are always way brutal, love that shizz though
(Aug. 13, 2009  4:38 PM)Roan Wrote: That and because of all the ridiculous genres and sub-genres and endless "let's throw everything we possibly can into a musical blender and see what happens" idea of 'music'.

Not to mention I grew out of it, it just got old.
Every point you made can be said for nearly every other genre of music though. All arguments against certain styles really just come down to personal preference, and a lot of other things that are said is usually just thin logic to justify why some one doesn't like a certain piece of music.
(Aug. 14, 2009  2:35 AM)Synesthesia Wrote: Every point you made can be said for nearly every other genre of music though. All arguments against certain styles really just come down to personal preference, and a lot of other things that are said is usually just thin logic to justify why some one doesn't like a certain piece of music.

Because apparently it's not possible to dislike something anymore without someone jumping on you about it.

I don't blame people for being defensive, and I'll admit that I don't really have any particular reasoning for why I don't enjoy the music anymore, it was just a sort of combination of things that made me say "Ok... I've had enough of this".

I don't want to say that I matured, because that would be implying that those who enjoy this type of music aren't, so really the best way I can put it is that I grew out of it. It's just not something I like anymore.

But my OP in this thread wasn't really saying anything about the people who listen to the music; I was more referring to the ridiculous arguments about the classifications of certain bands. I don't care what genre (or stupid sub-genre -- Nintendocore? Come on...) a band is, if I enjoy the music then that should be all that matters.

The whole scene war is just crazy and superfluous. People hating other people based simply on what music they listen to, and bashing them for it. I know that isn't exclusive to the metal crowd, but it is much more common there. Anyway, I'm saying in general that I'm sick of the musical snobbery that's going around these days.

Ok, I'm done ranting. I'll leave this thread alone now.
To be honest "growing up" is the only phrase that I can think of to describe why I stopped liking metal.
I pretty much agree with all your points Roan, and thanks for clearing up the matured thing.

I'd really appreciate if all further posts in this thread refrain from needless arguments, and just were contributions and discussions of and on your favorite material.

(Aug. 14, 2009  3:27 AM)SexyMichael Wrote: To be honest "growing up" is the only phrase that I can think of to describe why I stopped liking metal.

Yeah, but that comes off as an extremely condescending statement.
Well I'm not trying to hurt anyone's feelings. As I got older and also as I got more into writing and playing music my tastes changed. When I was like 8 I was into S Club 7, then I got Into Blink 182 until high school. In high school I got into Tool/ Between the Buried and Me/Protest the Hero/ Dream Theater. Now that I'm in college I don't really listen to any of these bands, just how it happened with me.
Peoples' taste do change over time a lot for sure. Just not sure if 'growing up' is the best way to describe it.

I was told quite a lot that I would 'grow out' of metal during my early teen years, which has yet to happen, and probably never will. A lot of people tend to make generalizations about certain age groups and music, and it can get frustrating.

I acquired a taste for many different styles of music through metal and I eventually picked up classical guitar as a result of listening to it.
Yeah I wouldn't say " Growing up " is the way to put things to get over it, there's still tons of die hard Metal fans that are well into their 30's,40's, 50's ect... It's all to do with personal preference, where to a point you've just gotten bored of it and want to try something else.
im only 13, yet i listen to all those bands i listed eariler btw, but age doesnt rlly matter, like, there are probly thousands of other kids younger than me than listen the this kind of stuff. but yeah, i guess as people " get older" and mature more, ther'e musical interest can change, or cant.

when i was 6-8, i listened to a lot of pop-punk
8-12 metal, metlcore, that kind of stuff
13 now i listen to mostly post hardcore, metal core, and pop punk, and metal.

but one thing is, i could never stand rap/ hip hop/ pop
rap and hip hop are algee just the older stuff like NWA dre and eazy e
pop i listen to j pop nami tamaki two mix aqua timez alot actully but i still listen to alot of hardcore metalcore post hardcore deathcore gridcore i think people can like a whole bunch of diffrent genres at the same time i think its stupid if people try and say that one genre is better then others
Noctambulant is probably my favorite death metal album ever released:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0Z79-Zp6A7o Lash by Lash

Adding Epitaph by Necrophagist to the list to since it's a pretty amazing death metal release:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1DND8S_CF_g Only Ash Remains

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u4jUGFAg2LA Title Track
I've always found labels and sub genre's stupid. I've been completely told off for calling bands by the 'wrong' labels countless times.

"Metal" is a pretty broad genre but I feel that most 'heavy' bands should fit under it, although I'm sure people would disagree.