Any Tool fans here?

[Image: tool10000.jpg]

A few times a year I go through my 'Tool' phase, where I listen to them constantly.
If you haven't heard them before, well it's hard to describe them.

Their music is deceptively technical, extremely technical. They avoid the use of common time signatures (4/4, 3/4). They heavily use polyrhythms, and their rhythms are mostly quite syncopated. Maynard James Keenan, their vocalist, writes exceptionally articulate lyrics. If you do end up listening to a bit of Tool, I'd suggest reading their lyrics and trying to interpret them, no one has the same opinion on one song.

It's definitely an acquired taste, as their music is very different and experimental. I listened to them for about a year before I actually started to really, really like their music.

Their music videos are very strange, all of them except for two use some extent of stop-motion animation. They're very 'arty' I suppose, so here's some of Tool's stuff...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UUXBCdt5IPg
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3E5VeUPaRIs
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sxEHLPhGriQ (Not the official video, but it's an awesome song)

Those songs are their easiest to get into I suppose, anyway I wanna hear what you guys think.
I am a huge tool fan. I've seen them live twice and will jump at the opportunity to see them again. Aenima has to be my favorite album.
Lateralus is probably my favourite.

I've been writing music for a few years now, and I just find some of the things they do with music hard to comprehend.

I haven't had the opportunity to see them live unfortunately, but I can only imagine what it's like.
They really know how to throw on a live show. They sound great live, and like their music their visual effects can be quite technical. It's on par with acts like Nine Inch Nails (who I have also seen).

Totally worth every penny.
Oh I've seen NIN live before, it was pretty crazy.

Well, Adam Jones is a really creative guy I suppose. The album cover to 10,000 days is awesome.
Tool are amazing, beyond true description. Lateralus is a masterpiece, it truly is the definition of a great album.
I do enjoy AEnima, it captures the rawness of their earlier albums while maturing in song structure and setting the groundwork for Lateralus.
Haha yay, someone to post besides Khel and I Tongue_out

What do you think of 10,000 days?
To be honest i don't enjoy listening to 10 000 days as much as what i do with their other albums. There's a change in direction of their sound palette with adam jones's guitar taking the forefront of the mix opposed to tool's previous albums were the focul points has been the bass and drums. Don't get me wrong in some aspects of the album they excel and push the envelope even further then they previously have, but making technical music doesn't automatically constitute a great album. In the songs wings for marie and 10 000 the band display an incridible amount of emotional maturity, patience and a vulnerability to the listener that is previously not shown to a degree of that level. But unfortunately 10 000 just doesn't flow like a great album should, it doesn't have the fluidness that made Lateralus such a masterpiece and for that the album feels jumbled. Perhaps there is a hidden track listing to organise the songs better much like Lateralus, but at the moment i'd give it 3.5 out of 5
(Nov. 22, 2009  3:09 AM)Fyuuor Wrote: ...and for that the album feels jumbled.

I know what you mean, but I loved every song. The guitar does dominate the mix a bit more compared to Lateralus, but I still think it's the bass that's still driving the songs. Wings Part 2 is definitely my favourite song on the album.

Just out of curiosity what do you think of these guys: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tO4B5hToaBQ

They're an aussie prog band. That's a fairly chilled out song I suppose. IMO they're definitely the most talented band in Australia at the moment.
I've heard a bit about them in the street press in Brisbane for awhile now, especially since the release of their new album Sound Awake, but I've never had the chance to listen to any of their stuff.

I gave the song in the link a listen to and a few others Goliath, New Day, Set Fire To The Hive, The Only Way and Themeta and to be honest of what I've heard they aren't bad, they have a sound that is very distinctive of The Butterfly Effect crossed more with 10 000 days era Tool. If their influenced by Tool as much as they were in those songs I listened to then judging them as a band from those several songs off of you tube won't be of any real indication to how good they really are, as like Tool I'm guessing they are an album band and not one to just release needless singles.

I didn't mind what I heard, they have potential and I'll defiantly keep an eye out for them and try to pick up Sound Awake at JB in the next week or so, but I wanna buy Between The Buried And Me's new album as well as a few others first, lol.
Yeah you're gonna have to listen to the whole of Sound Awake if you want an indication of how good they are as a band.

Their older album Themata is more 'riff' based and is a lot heavier and less progressive. Although that could be because the lead guitarist wrote the whole thing and played all the instruments on the recording. You could almost say it's 'Nu-Metal' because of the down-tuned guitars and heavy riffs and such, but it's still a whole lot more technical than any Nu-Metal band, rhythmically speaking.

I'm not 100% sure, but I think they've played shows with The Butterfly Effect Tongue_out
I haven't been able to see them yet, because I'm 17 and they only do over 18 shows.
But come next March and I'll be seeing them in pubs all the time XD
I just listened to the entire copy of Lateralus yesterday.

Twas great.
(Nov. 23, 2009  8:39 AM)DiverDan Wrote: You could almost say it's 'Nu-Metal'... .but it's still a whole lot more technical than any Nu-Metal band, rhythmically speaking.

Those were my exact thoughts about the song Themata, it sounded very much like Disturbed but with a whole lot more happening wihin the song ryhthm and layer wise.

(Nov. 23, 2009  8:39 AM)DiverDan Wrote: I'm not 100% sure, but I think they've played shows with The Butterfly Effect Tongue_out
I haven't been able to see them yet, because I'm 17 and they only do over 18 shows.

But come next March and I'll be seeing them in pubs all the time XD

That sucks man, hopefully you don't need to wait to long to see them. I think Karnivool are playing 2010 Big Day Out , already got my ticket can't wait to see The Mars Volta and Mastodon Joyful_2

(Nov. 24, 2009  1:18 AM)Khel Wrote: I just listened to the entire copy of Lateralus yesterday.

Twas great.

I'm not sure if I can post links of other message boards or not but take a look at this, somebody is describing Lateralus's connection to the Fibonacci code and a secret track listing for the album which makes the album flow even smoother. Don't forget this is Tool, so never disregarded something as coincidence. http://www.ultimatemetal.com/forum/non-o...ralus.html
(Nov. 24, 2009  6:06 AM)Fyuuor Wrote: That sucks man, hopefully you don't need to wait to long to see them. I think Karnivool are playing 2010 Big Day Out , already got my ticket can't wait to see The Mars Volta and Mastodon Joyful_2

Yeah, I would have gone... but it sold out so quickly and I have no money (N)

(Nov. 24, 2009  6:06 AM)Fyuuor Wrote: I'm not sure if I can post links of other message boards or not but take a look at this, somebody is describing Lateralus's connection to the Fibonacci code and a secret track listing for the album which makes the album flow even smoother. Don't forget this is Tool, so never disregarded something as coincidence. http://www.ultimatemetal.com/forum/non-o...ralus.html

Yeah I've read about the Fibonacci sequences in the verses of Lateralus.
Maynard's vocals also come in at 1 minute 37 seconds, which is 1.618 of a minute, the Golden Ratio.